Weird Control Issue - maybe pilot error but...

Reaction score
OK... I hesitate posting this but I am curious if anyone else has seen it.

Phantom 1.1.1 flying about 200 feet in windy conditions. GPS on. It was bouncing around a lot and suddenly it started responding incorrectly to the controls. It was almost as if CLI was on but... not. The logical nose of the aircraft shifted by 90 degrees. Right stick forward caused a left bank, etc. Since it was in GPS mode, I didn't panic - let it hover and just reoriented my brain to the new effect. Got it back on the ground, pulled the battery (it was about 1/2 gone) and inserted a fresh one. It powered up fine and flew the rest of the day. This is the kind of problem I can live with since it is totally recoverable but I was wondering if anyone else had seen it or if I was just having flashbacks from the good old days.

just had my first fright , starting and stopping in different places . my third flight this day the P2 started to fly away as i hit my start mark for filming . at this point the wind had it and i was in a panic , could barely see it , can't tell which way it was pointed . i could just barely see as i tested with the yaw , then a slight turn and it started to come back (i was running towards it) . happy ending , but i was done for the day lol . :mrgreen:

ladykate said:
OK... I hesitate posting this but I am curious if anyone else has seen it.

Phantom 1.1.1 flying about 200 feet in windy conditions. GPS on. It was bouncing around a lot and suddenly it started responding incorrectly to the controls. It was almost as if CLI was on but... not. The logical nose of the aircraft shifted by 90 degrees. Right stick forward caused a left bank, etc. Since it was in GPS mode, I didn't panic - let it hover and just reoriented my brain to the new effect. Got it back on the ground, pulled the battery (it was about 1/2 gone) and inserted a fresh one. It powered up fine and flew the rest of the day. This is the kind of problem I can live with since it is totally recoverable but I was wondering if anyone else had seen it or if I was just having flashbacks from the good old days.

I'm going to assume "the logical nose" shifted 90 degrees to left??? If this is true, then all is normal. If its facing farward (your left), then a forward stick command will move it to your left. However, IF you were in course lock (which you weren't), a forward input would have moved the craft away from you, assuming course lock was set up and you did not change your body position on the field.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic