Weight ratio

Reaction score
Have placed a camera underneath, put on wider legs and the extra battery tray for 2 batteries. Does this effect the weight ratio and i can expect the phantom to fly front heavy?

Or will it just use more battery power as it compensates with the gps?

Does anyone know of any issues using the extra battery carrier.

Any help thanks.

Attachments

• 1451080346583.jpg
    1451080346583.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 486
I don’t think it makes a huge practical difference but I noticed the front heaviness when I installed cam/gimbal. Seemed as if front motors/ESCs would need to work slightly harder to maintain level.

I got those dual battery mounts too but started reading about blocking propellor airflow thrust and reducing efficiency.

Killed 2 birds with 1 stone using only one battery bracket on the rear, notched the battery door (cheaply replaced, btw) so the parallel battery harness can reach the rear mounted battery and still plug into the internal battery.

Rear mounted 2nd battery helps better balance the cam/gimbal. And obviously doesn’t block as much airflow from the props as both external batteries do. Win-win!

Whether or not you go the way I did for dual battery packs you should definitely move up to larger, more aggressive props such as 9443 P2 when flying with all that added weight.

Thanks. Will give it ago as is, then swop the battery tray to the rear to balance the weight out. Makes sense, thanks!

Ive just bought the side batt trays but probably wont use them now. Might try modding the internal one to take 2 phantom batts or a single 4000 mah batt.

Used the trays today and upgraded the props like suggested. Flys like a dream! Left the trays on the side and didnt see much weight drop to the front with camera. Glad i did the props though as i do think that the standard ones maybe too small.

Yo just jumping in on your convo here sorry. We're did you get the props from? I did the dual battery thing a while ago made my phantom fly like a brick I wouldn't bother. So how have you fixed the batteries now? Cheers J

For aerial photography flying “smoothly” like a brick isn’t much of an issue IMO. Camera, gimbal, VTX, extra battery add weight and affect handling.

No Phantom will ever handle like a 250 quad racer but as long as it manages smooth flight with a camera setup, what else does someone need/want? But on heavily loaded bird you will surely need more than stock 8” props.

This will likely kickstart a ton of replies about junk quality and poor hub threading but I buy cheap eBay props. But I do use a balancer (don’t sand, cut or file - use Scotch tape or similar for weight).

As mentioned earlier and before hacking up the shell to stuff more battery inside, try mounting single external mount off the rear and notch the battery door (which you gotta dow anyway for external dual batteries) for the parallel wiring dongle. Run stock internal battery and a single external rear mounted battery pack.

This arrangement not only helps counter balance the camera/gimbal but doesn’t block as much prop wash air flow under the blades as dual external batteries can do.

Loaded with dual battery packs, cam, gimbal, VTX, I set my timer for 14 min and still never see LV (low voltage) warning before landing.

OMT - with a single rear battery tray I was able to only slightly notch my cheapo Phantom backpack foam to accommodate my bird with the rear tray installed. Otherwise it was gonna require hacking a lot of the molded/formed foam to fit Phantom into the backpack foam with battery trays on either side. So there’s that too…

Thanks man makes sense. How do you balance the props? Sounds like a newb question but I've always used the standard ones. I have quite heavily modified my phantom last year I just need the flight time to be longer now.

Hey Jim - for threaded props you need one of those “balancing rods” - DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus Balancer Rod SelfTightening Propeller Quadcopter Drone

I merely sit it on the rim of a decent drinking glass but you can buy a fixture (Dubro) designed for rod balancer.
My prop “recipe” for cam, gimbal, VTX and dual stock 2.2Ah battery packs is 9443 white plastic self-tightening. Often referred to as P2/Vision props, IIRC?

I’ve only tried 9450 props in CF (carbon fiber) so take what I’m gonna say with grain of salt. Not only are they (9450) more aggressive lift, CF doesn’t flex nearly as much as white plastic. Resulting in quite a bit different airborne feel, IMO.

9450 CF came in handy for me above 6000ft AGL but at lower elevations it feels a little twitchy to me using stock motor gains.

I mostly use the cheap white plastic 9443 eBay props, give ‘em a good inspection, balance ‘em and go fly.

Every once in a while, I'll strip the heavy cam/gimbal, extra battery weight off the old gal, maybe leave a small FPV camera/VTX. Install 8” stock props and enjoy flying the P1/FC40 as it was designed to be flown. Still not a racing quad but pretty damned smooth and agile in that configuration…

Last edited:
Thanks for your help man. You know much about antenna boosting my fpv range is awful. Running a 5.8ghz set up. No boosters just big *** antennas clover leaf and spirals

Thanks for your help man. You know much about antenna boosting my fpv range is awful. Running a 5.8ghz set up. No boosters just big *** antennas clover leaf and spirals

Sorry, not much help but do you have a thread going for that topic? I would rather not derail this discussion any more than we already have?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20