Weather app

Reaction score
I just found this great app it is uavforecast.com
You can check out the weather before you fly your drone it will tell you if you can fly in your area

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Love that app, I agree, it's a good one.

Great app, have used it since day one. Best thing about it is you can check wind speed at your desired altitude not just ground level.

Another great app is www.windytv.com, which I first learned about from a post by TJ. The more I use windytv, the more I like it, and I suspect the only reason it's not more popular with people on this site is because people don't know about it. So I'm going to try to spread the word...

This morning I wanted to fly. I checked outside and it's dead calm. There's not even a whisper of wind - not on the ground, not high in the tree branches, nothing. But I live in a valley, so I like to check the forecast.

I checked uavforecast and it showed winds at 400' at 7:30 am blowing from the NW at 10 mph, and increasing to 12 mph at 8 am.

Well, that's no problem - especially since I plan to fly straight out to the NW. I'll get some help on the way back. What's not to like?

But then I checked windytv. It shows winds at 100 meters (330 ') to be 22 mph!

That's quite a bit different than 10 mph. But this forecast data is from ECMWF.

But I can also check the data from GFS via windytv with a simple click. And it shows winds at 21 mph - confirming the ECMWF forecast.

So I think this is a good illustration of why one might want to consider windytv combined with uavforecast and not rely completely on uavforecast.com, as wonderful as it is.

Another one that I use is Avia weather. It will read and decode the Metar report from the airport that you select (I have the local airport and a nearby Air Force base loaded). The info that I use in addition to local wind is the visibility and ceiling info which are needed to determine if conditions are VFR ( Part 107 requirement).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20