Weather app Discrepancies

Reaction score
What do you use for wind conditions and why do apps like UAV forecast (UAV) and the Weather channel (WC) disagree so much.

Yesterday, here on the island of Maui, I was being blown away at pool side and when I looked to see the reports on the two apps mentioned above, they were not in sync. WC gave reports that were in my opinion close to reality, while UAV was reporting substantially less wind.

This morning, the wind, calmer than pool side yesterday, is again close to the reports on the WC app, and the UAV is reporting stronger conditions than I am observing.

For the record, I have UAV set to 33 feet. This is of course as close of altitude I can get to match what I would expect the Weather channel to be representing.

So I ask you why, and who do you trust?

Mahalo

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I prefer real-time weather data pulled from local weather stations. The best sources for that kind of data are WeatherUnderground and WeatherBug -- since they both have networks of personal weather stations and/or weather stations located at various businesses. The wind data will be much more accurate since you're able to choose a nearby weather station.

Reactions: BigAl07
WU is awesome and one I use for more than just UAS type of work.

For the record if the reporting station isn't REALLY close to where you're standing it's pretty pointless IMHO.

If anyone is interested, I write an app called Weather Watcher to easily access weather data from Weather Underground and WeatherBug. It's only available for Windows.

Thank you, I will pull more local resources and start to compare them to each respectively. I am mostly on my iPad thus your "Weather Watcher" will only be available when at home, but I will give it a look.

All the discrepancies has me considering the purchase a weather meter. The wind direction here is mostly towards the sea, and the last thing I want is to helplessly watch my P3P being taken beyond my its ability. Over land I could deal with a forced landing, but a water landing would end it all.

Again, thank you!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

All the discrepancies has me considering the purchase a weather meter.
That would no doubt be the most accurate source -- unless there is a weather station at your flying location.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj