Weak Signal!!

Reaction score
Hi the last several flights I have had I keep running into weak signal warnings. Is this normal or should I look at settings or consider some type of antenna boosters. Realistically which booster are highest rated and would sort of gains are realistic??

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

what are you flying around

Kinda need some more info like what distance? Or pics of when the notification comes on the screen. It also depends on any obstacles. Is it going into atti mode and staying there? If all is normal then you may have a loose wire on one of the antennas.

Sorry should have explained my flying locations better of the several flights where I have experienced this it has been basically happening when taking off from my garden I live in the country side and there wouldn't be very many houses or buildings nearby! I'm just wondering could I be getting this problem as I'm controlling things from my back garden and that my house could be blocking some of the signal!!!

You want to keep a direct line of sight between your transmitter and receiver which means you want to be able to see your aircraft at all times. Can you? If not, that's a problem. If so, we need to know what kind of distance you are when you experience a weak signal warning.

Best situation is you are in a wide open area with nothing around you.

Make sure your RC antennas are correctly pointed, i.e. V formation and flat side directly towards drone. If the tip starts to point at drone you will loose signal at distance.

Without any boosters, stock setup I can easily get 3.5kms

Houses/Neighborhoods below are like congested traffic when flying above them. There are wireless phones, microwaves, cellphones, and more that are responsible for robbing or corrupting your signal. However, there is a way you can avoid a lot of this. All you need to do is increase your flight altitude. An altitude of 300-400ft above ground should be all you need. Btw, it's strange, but.....the higher altitude you fly, the further distance you'll be able to fly. Just remember, the higher up you go...the cleaner the signal will be.

You DO NOT want your antennas in a V configuration. The omni antennas on your controller and bird are vertically polarized, any deviation from that results in reduced signal to and from the bird.

I Also have a weak signal message with my Phantom Pro a mere two feet away from the controller. Checked for updates, reset IMU etc, all the usual stuff. I have sent it in twice now for warranty repair, once for esc error and then for camera pointing 45 degrees off. Now this. I got about 3 flights after getting it back when this message started. My Phantom pro is spending more time travelling between Carson Ca and back (at 75$ a pop for shipping) then good flying days. I almost expect a serious problem every time I fly now! Just getting a little bit fed up.

You DO NOT want your antennas in a V configuration. The omni antennas on your controller and bird are vertically polarized, any deviation from that results in reduced signal to and from the bird.
What are you saying that his antennas should be pointed at his bird like he's pointing a finger at it?

What are you saying that his antennas should be pointed at his bird like he's pointing a finger at it?

Absolutely not. The most desirable configuration is that the antennas in the controller and bird be parallel. Having the controller antennas in a V config deviates from the vertical polarization, and can produce weaker signals.

I Also have a weak signal message with my Phantom Pro a mere two feet away from the controller. Checked for updates, reset IMU etc, all the usual stuff. I have sent it in twice now for warranty repair, once for esc error and then for camera pointing 45 degrees off. Now this. I got about 3 flights after getting it back when this message started. My Phantom pro is spending more time travelling between Carson Ca and back (at 75$ a pop for shipping) then good flying days. I almost expect a serious problem every time I fly now! Just getting a little bit fed up.

I'm having the same issue with my P3A. I had the bird hovering directly above me at 200 ft, 300 ft, and 400 ft and I would get a weak signal pop in and out. FPV video is also choppy and laggy. Any recorded video seems fine though and doesn't have the lag. I don't know what the issue is or what changed because my first couple flights with it were great and the video feed to the controller was fantastic. The last month or so I can't fly using the video feed because it is so choppy. Not sure what to do or try aside from get a windsurfer attachment or something and hope it helps. Any suggestions would be awesome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers