Weak RC signal

Reaction score
Hi,
finally took my P3S off beginner mode, had a few flights around, only went as high as 252 feet. Today went straight up, was planning on going to the limit of 400 feet. Got to around 300 feet and the screen said WEAK RC SIGNAL, so of course I freak out and immediately start to descend, and the message goes away. Flew around another 15 minutes, went as high as 372 feet, not straight up from me, and around 400 feet away. WEAK RC SIGNAL never popped back up. I had clear line of sight the whole time, wasn't flying near any interference, was it a fluke thing or what?!? When I input the flight record into Healthy Drones, nothing showed out of the ordinary. Thanks.

Did you remember to point your antenna properly?

P3-Antenna-Position-Single.jpg

Going straight up, over your head, creates a bad angle from the antennas on the quad to the controller. That is why when you flew it again away from you, their was no problem.

Thanks everybody, as soon as I typed the thread and thought about it, duh on my part, the antenna.

Pointing the transmitter antenna correctly will work until the quad is directly overhead. Then the antenna of the QUAD is pointed straight up
and no matter how you point the transmitter the signal will be weak.

Then the antenna of the QUAD is pointed straight up and no matter how you point the transmitter the signal will be weak.
As long as the long side of the antenna is pointing directly at the Phantom, the signal should be just fine (even directly overhead). It's easier to see how the signal is transmitted in the following video:

Reactions: ObiDon and Uhly
As long as the long side of the antenna is pointing directly at the Phantom, the signal should be just fine (even directly overhead). It's easier to see how the signal is transmitted in the following video:

Great video
Thanks for sharing

I have seen this video and it says when the aircraft is directly overhead "the signal is weaker then in normal cases due to the orientation of the craft's receiving antenna. We do not recommend flying directly above the remote controller."

john339, it might be weaker, but it usually flies just fine. Give it a shot :)

I've been experiencing this issue during the last couple of days (but basically in the same location, will try different location tomorrow). After reading posts for quite some time now... I have checked the antenna cables and they have a solid connection, but as dumb as this may sound I've been flying on 50% (maybe less) RC battery. So my questions is: Does RC Battery effect the signal between transmitter and the drone? I'm fully charging everything now and will test in new location tomorrow.

dumb as this may sound I've been flying on 50% (maybe less) RC battery
I usually don't charge my remote controller until it's down to one light. There is no need to fully charge it before every flight.

Does RC Battery effect the signal between transmitter and the drone?
No.

I usually don't charge my remote controller until it's down to one light. There is no need to fully charge it before every flight.

No.

Cool, thanks for the response. I'll just try a different location next time, just seemed weird last time I flew in that location I went about 3,000ft, then this time flew 1,000ft and lost signal RTH two times.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj