We are being tracked??

Reaction score
Looking at directions on Google maps and I saw this white marker... So I clicked on it and it showed a lot of phantom pilots. How the heck did this happen?

1507590326957.png
1507590331025.png
1507590334322.png

This is in London, england. Wondering if anyone else is getting things like this over the world

Reactions: JohnWebb332
Yes, you are being tracked.
By your Phantom is the least of your worries.

Last edited:
Interesting. Were you using the same Android device with Google Maps for flying too? I know everywhere I go (USA) that Google stores the data for months on my S6 phone and likely their servers as well, but I don't use it for flying and I don't see a "Phantom Pilots Member Page" either as I use an iPad and I don't know if it stores tracking info in its maps like Google Maps does.

I use Google maps but can't see why it wants to start sharing this info. The other thing I should also mention that at no point was I using my drone or DJI GO/litchi. If I was then I could see why that would come up on Google maps. But I haven't flown for over a week and just using the Google maps.

This not a DJI or Litchi "thing". Someone has created a Google "My Maps" map and has added a bunch of users from this site and placed them on a map. The URL for this map is Phantom Pilots Member Map and they are listing usernames from this site by Phantom type. The description is "To help visualize member locations.". I repeat, this is not being done by DJI or Litchi.

This is a static map and is not tracking the location of your Phantom. I don't know how old it is. I'm not on it, I joined in January. So someone from this board either had direct access to the member list and/or screen scraped their handles, location, and devices to build this map. It's also possible that the Phantom Pilots mobile app is updating the map. I have the Android version of that app and my posts have my relative location, but I'm not on the map.

The information on that map is more or less public. My account here is tagged with my general location and I have a signature that says which Phantom I own. If there is someone on that map that didn't share their location publicly, that's a different story. Google does not give out the name or email of the person who creates a Google "My Map", but there are ways of asking them if you feel your privacy has been violated.

It's kind of creepy that the person who created it hasn't stepped forward with an explanation of why they posted a public map of Phantom Pilots members.. If people want to opt-in to a map like that, it could be useful to add it as a link to this site. How did the OP get the map in first place? He had to have been given the map at some point. Google My Maps do not suddenly show up on your account, someone has to share it with you or you copy the link from somewhere else.

Reactions: Neon Euc

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues