Waypoint questions

Reaction score
I fly a P3 S, and have done well with it the last 3 months, but have a few questions about flying a waypoint mission.

I understand the concept. The bird flies a pre planned mission, but I'm confused about a few things.

-I can literally walk out my backyard yard to fields and meadows and fly to the top of a nearby hill and capture epic sunsets. Currently I manually fly to the top of the hill from the meadow in my backyard. The hill in question is 1000 ft away, with the crest 200 ft from above my home point. Flying Catbird to the crest I have to account for the increase in elevation. When I reach my spot, the metrics say I'm 250 ft vertical, but I can tell you the catbird is only about 90 feet off top of the hill.

MISSION

-I want to fly this mission from the waypoint menu. So I fly to my spot over the top of the hill, and create point #1.
-I'd like to leave there and fly to #2 over a nearby a golf course 900 ft away.

-the #3 spot is 700 ft away over a small pond to the west, and then home.

Questions

-With the catbird flying the mission on his own is he going to know to account for the increase in elevation to #1 or is he gonna fly into the side of the hill about halfway up? Flying manually I increase the vertical over the 1000 ft, I have to clear a bank of trees (50ft high) about halfway. Should I start catbird at a height that will (about 300 ft) will take him to the spot in direct line?

-arriving at each waypoint I'd like to hover about 5 minutes to check everything and grab a few pics before flying to the next point. Will he do that or is he just go fly to that spot, and then proceed to the next without checking up?

-I guess the short version of this is the catbird gonna fly this mission the way I flew it, or is he gonna do his own thing?

Are you using DJI GO, Litchi or other 3rd party app? Litchi takes into account height above ground level now (if you enable it). With DJI Go you manually fly to the waypoints, it remembers location and elevation, so it will ascend or descend to the elevation at each saved waypoint.

Even without elevation adjustment, you can program different elevations at individual wp's. And there have been several posts on using google earth to create terrain following missions that can then be uploaded to litchi. Just remember tha, in Most cases, ground elevations are used with little or no consideration of the heights of any trees or structures along the way!

You can plot the mission paths, then in Litchi edit mission select all, change elevation to : Relative to ground, then individually edit any way points elevation desired. Double check all points in regard to tree's ect.

I use the DJI app.

If I understand correctly, the catbird does not fly a duplicate flight metric to waypoint 1 the way I flew it. But instead will rise to 90 ft, and then attempt to fly to #1 where he will crash into the side of the hill about halfway. LOL.

Using the DJIGO app yes, it's a 'waypoint' mission (not a flight recorder) so it does literally fly between waypoints. Many use Litchi, as that app (there are others too) provides pilot with significant control over preprogrammed flights including altitude settings per waypoint (and POI control for camera control).

Reactions: wolf~928
Just put in more waypoints as you start from home.
Waypoint 1 will be near home-lower altitude. #2, 1/3 of the way there and a little higher. #3, 2/3 of the way and a little higher ...

Step it up a little higher each time with more waypoints, likewise you can step it down on the way home.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20