Waypoint mode warning!

Reaction score
Have tried waypoint mode a few times. Had a near miss on two of these occasions. I'd fly up to the first waypoint about 10 metres in front of me and 10 metres in height or thereabouts wasn't being too precise. I'd continue on recording 4 more waypoints and then set RTH height etc. Then hit apply to fly to first Waypoint to begin the mission. On 2 occasions the phantom flew to the ground at speed in or around WP1 or the home point both of which weren't far from each other. The second time I throttled up as I had remembered the first instance. Narrowly missing the ground. The phantom continues at the preset speed to the waypoints WP1 - WP5. My concern is that I'm doing something wrong. There is a warning In the Go App about the height of the WP1 as you are about to set WP1. I think the drift based on the brake settings in expo gain etc is allowing the craft to drift past the WP1. I will have to test this further . Just thought I would put this out there as a word of warning. There are a couple of incidents of crashes to ground on forums. But getting clear instructions on the matter is difficult. We rely on trial and error. Which could be costly...

Cool trick i recently learned about waypoint mode....If you set the speed to 0, you can just use forward/backward on the pitch to move between the waypoints. It effectively turns waypoints into a cable cam, and if you get in trouble just stop moving the craft :)

It's a useful method to run waypoints while still maintaining complete control.

Reactions: gellofish
Good advice, heard of this zip line method using two WP 's and zero speed setting. The problem isn't the speed during the task . But the craft racing to the beginning WP or perhaps the Home point. Wrecklessly at speed. In order to begin the task.

IIRC, with speed at zero, you are still in control of the speed it when you begin the mission rather than it auto-flying to the first waypoint. Im not 100% sure but i think that is how it worked when I tried it last.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31