Way too many issues...

Reaction score
Over the last month I had to make 3 return trips because of issues with the P3P. Really considering staying away from DJI for good.

1st one i got the gimball would not work at all.

2nd P3P - i kept losing GPS mid flight. Tried calibrating imu without success.

3rd P3P - each leg was missing (2) screws under the motors. Guessing somebody put the propeller guards and forgot to put screws back. Plus it had the old motors on it.

At this point im considering the competition or waiting until DJI gets the P3P straightened out.

At this point im considering the competition or waiting until DJI gets the P3P straightened out.
Sounds like you had some bad luck there. Most owners have no problems at all.

2. There is no connection between the IMU and GPS
You might have to wait a while for the competition to catch up - they are still trying to compete with the old P2 series and no-one else is in the race with the P3 yet

Sounds like you had some bad luck there. Most owners have no problems at all.

2. There is no connection between the IMU and GPS
You might have to wait a while for the competition to catch up - they are still trying to compete with the old P2 series and no-one else is in the race with the P3 yet

2. Actually the logs never say i lost gps but while flying it would switch to ATTI and would get a message saying no gps signal (n the app). Anyway i just calibrated the IMU to see if it would fix the issues and had no interest in doing any more troubleshooting on a week old toy.

Reactions: bighi
Where did you buy it? This sounds like a retailer problem and you weren't getting new P3's. It doesn't have anything to do with DJI. I bought my P3A back in September just after the new motors came out and it came from Drones Etc. with the new motors way back then. I didn't even ask for them and have been happy ever since. I would really have to change retailers if what you've experienced happened to me. I'm really sorry these guys have given DJI a bad rap with you because it's a great drone.

2. Actually the logs never say i lost gps but while flying it would switch to ATTI and would get a message saying no gps signal (n the app). Anyway i just calibrated the IMU to see if it would fix the issues and had no interest in doing any more troubleshooting on a week old toy.

return it , you wont be happy until you do
FWIW, don't buy another drone, any brand. If a Phantom wont do it , Nothing else will come even close....
They take work, learning, upgrading, more work, more learning and it never ends...
they are awesome but still in major growth mode
They are Ready To Fly , but require babysitting on a large scale

Have bought 5 used phantoms in last year and all were great aircraft(still are ,the 3 I've not sold yet)
AS others said --look at vendor , it appears like used/refurb unit maybe. (nothing wrong as long as you know it)

return it , you wont be happy until you do
FWIW, don't buy another drone, any brand. If a Phantom wont do it , Nothing else will come even close....

Totally disagree. I have had a Solo for 6 month now. It took me zero reading or "learning" how to use the **** thing. Very, very intuitive UI. You can't say that about a Phantom, which I got a couple of days ago. The UI is horrible.

Having said this. The Solo is of course not as "good" as a P3P, when it comes to stabilizes footage. And it didn't fly as long. Other than that, it's "better" in many other things...

Thanks,

Kmd

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I've been experiencing this exact same issue every other flight this winter. I've chalked it up to maybe less juice going to the GPS under full power in winter. Can't think of any other reason since all other avenues were tried like IMU calibration and the like.

I don't think its the cold weather. I just took my P3P out yesterday in about 65-70 degree weather and it constantly switched between atti mode and gps....

Totally disagree. I have had a Solo for 6 month now. It took me zero reading or "learning" how to use the **** thing. Very, very intuitive UI. You can't say that about a Phantom, which I got a couple of days ago. The UI is horrible.
It's what you're used to.
Get used to the DJI app and the user interface isn't horrible at all.
Having said this. The Solo is of course not as "good" as a P3P, when it comes to stabilizes footage. And it didn't fly as long. Other than that, it's "better" in many other things.
Yes, the Solo has a few gimicky features and as you say, it doesn't fly as long or produce good stabilised footage.
It also uses old-tech wifi for control so has a fraction of the range of the P3 and lacks the smooth Lightbridge video.
So, exactly what is it about the Solo that's better?

Having said this. The Solo is of course not as "good" as a P3P, when it comes to stabilizes footage. And it didn't fly as long. Other than that, it's "better" in many other things...

Thanks,

Kmd
I also have both the solo and p3p and for 600.00 dollars difference their is nothing the solo is better at than the p3, it is as good in some ways but no better. My p3 was ready to fly out of the box but I have to constantly mod my solo to keep it in the air. The GPS is a joke and wi fi instead of light bridge, no comparison there, not even in the same ball park. I can fly my p3 in places that I can't even consider with the solo. Solo is a nice bird that will come around in time but the p3 is still superior for now.

Reactions: BrianMcKay
Over the last month I had to make 3 return trips because of issues with the P3P. Really considering staying away from DJI for good.

1st one i got the gimball would not work at all.

3rd P3P - each leg was missing (2) screws under the motors. Guessing somebody put the propeller guards and forgot to put screws back. Plus it had the old motors on it.

Not sure the P3 is for you then, or any other intelligent MR in fact. They all have their quirks. They all have learning curves, and take patience as anything else, to master. It seems you're lacking in that area, no offense. I'm impatient as well, but the level of technology these machines have require some research, comprehension and time learning the ropes. You can fly a Yugo or a BMW. Both will get the job done, but some have more bells and whistles, steeper learning curves and take longer to familiarize with. Also sounds like your retailer screwed up and is partly to blame for your situation.

SD

I understand it takes a lot of patience and have different learning curves to learn.

Problem here is that GPS / compass should be solid once it is up in air. P3 should not be switching to other flight modes mid air otherwise a fly away is possible.

Im willing to bet that a lot of P3s are lost due to the lack of knowledge regarding these issues. At least i know 3 people that have lost their drone in a fly away.

I took my time to do the research and came to the conclusion that i was not going to have a fly away or an accident.

Flying ATTI and OPTI at 100ft+ for no reason it's not enjoyable especially since the P3 is not designed for that type of flight (in my opinion).

I understand it takes a lot of patience and have different learning curves to learn.

Problem here is that GPS / compass should be solid once it is up in air. P3 should not be switching to other flight modes mid air otherwise a fly away is possible.

Im willing to bet that a lot of P3s are lost due to the lack of knowledge regarding these issues. At least i know 3 people that have lost their drone in a fly away.

I took my time to do the research and came to the conclusion that i was not going to have a fly away or an accident.

Flying ATTI and OPTI at 100ft+ for no reason it's not enjoyable especially since the P3 is not designed for that type of flight (in my opinion).
#1. The P3 will not "flyaway" just because it goes into atti, it will drift with the wind but won't just flyaway.
#2. Learn how to fly in atti, it will save your *** at some point.
#3. The P3 may flyaway if you lose gps and controller connection at the same time, but this is very rare.
#4. What is your flight environment like? GPS is usually not an issue with the P3, I have had mine since early May and have never lost GPS, not even briefly.
#5. If the P3 was not designed to fly in atti there would be no option to do so, I fly mine in atti quite often just so I won't panic if I do lose GPS some time in the future.
#6. These birds are very smart, for the most part, but we have to be able to do our part if something does go wrong, so learning to fly without GPS is a must.

Reactions: John Locke
#1. The P3 will not "flyaway" just because it goes into atti, it will drift with the wind but won't just flyaway.
#2. Learn how to fly in atti, it will save your *** at some point.
#3. The P3 may flyaway if you lose gps and controller connection at the same time, but this is very rare.
#4. What is your flight environment like? GPS is usually not an issue with the P3, I have had mine since early May and have never lost GPS, not even briefly.
#5. If the P3 was not designed to fly in atti there would be no option to do so, I fly mine in atti quite often just so I won't panic if I do lose GPS some time in the future.
#6. These birds are very smart, for the most part, but we have to be able to do our part if something does go wrong, so learning to fly without GPS is a must.

1. "The P3 will not fly away because it goes into atti, it will drift with the wind..." Any time you don't have control you have a high probability of a fly away in my opinion. If it goes 10ft, 100ft or 1000ft away from you because IT decided to go into ATTI and the wind drifted it away, you essentially lost control and it's a problem that could end up in a crash and should be addressed by the owner so it won't happen again.

2. I know how to fly in atti, save the negativity...

4. Just because you don't have issues with yours doesn't mean other won't either...

5. Atti is there because of the possibility of losing gps signal but it should not go into atti randomly every other flight.

6. DJI is promoting a "smart" bird that should almost fly by itself. GPS/compass should work as promoted and not randomly. And save the magnetic fields, blah, blah comments...we are aware...

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj