Water Recovery System

Would you consider purchasing a water recovery device?

• Yes

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Maybe subject to price

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm designing a water recovery system for both phantom and inspire models. Still at a prototype stage at the minute, but thought I'd share what I have done so far and to see if there is other pilots out there that might consider buying it if I can prove the design and get it manufactured.

Fundamentally this is for recovery, not for water landings. It's to get your drone back in order to use the dji refresh (water damage) or make an insurance claim where the insurance company need the damaged device.

So far I've tested 4kg (inspire 2) and 2kg (phantom)

Short video of my mk3 device and a 2kg dead weight....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Looking to reduce the weight of the device if I can but so far no adverse flying effects.

What are your thoughts?

What are your thoughts?
How is your system going to be better than GetterBack? That seems to be your main competition, so I'd recommend you check out the specs of that product and see if there is any way you can improve upon it.

Reactions: Silverwings
How is your system going to be better than GetterBack? That seems to be your main competition, so I'd recommend you check out the specs of that product and see if there is any way you can improve upon it.

Thanks for the feedback and points noted. The getterback is great for a lake etc, and as long as it's not deeper than the cord. My system inflates on water contact and has a large buoy that can be seen from a greater distance, especially in waves on the sea. The drone is suspended below by only a few centimetres.

However, all feedback is welcome as I don't want to invest further if there is either no demand for the device or a general lack of interest.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback and points noted. The getterback is great for a lake etc, and as long as it's not deeper than the cord. My system inflates on water contact and has a large buoy that can be seen from a greater distance, especially in waves on the sea. The drone is suspended below by only a few centimetres.

However, all is feedback is welcome as I don't want to invest further if there is either no demand for the device or a general lack of interest.

Question...what triggers the deployment? You say instantly with water contact. Could very high humidity or a few raindrops while flying trigger it?

Question...what triggers the deployment? You say instantly with water contact. Could very high humidity or a few raindrops while flying trigger it?

It's the same technology as a lifejacket activator. So will not be set off by rain etc. Only by full immersion in water.

I actually like your device better than the Getterback. On a different note, when shooting video with your phone, turn it sideways! As a photographer, it annoys the H out of me when videos are shot vertically. When horizontal, it looks more professional and is easier to see the action when viewing on a phone. I know, I know, I'm a grouchy old man. Sorry. Keep working on that device. I like the inflatable float and the fact that it's almost instant.

Hey, how about dual horizontal floats on the landing gear and a dangling sensor, so the floats inflate just before touchdown and prevent your drone from sinking in the first place? The sensor could hang from a Y yolk between the twin units so it doesn't interfere with the camera gimbal (but it would show up in straight-down stots).

For the avoidance of doubt, this is quite different to the getterback. This activates instantly on water activation (and not by rain etc) and physically stops the drone sinking. The drone will be about 1ft below the water and attached to the buoy directly, and not 100ft on the end of a piece of string.

Merits to both systems, the inflatable is heavier than the getterback, but I believe it to be a more reliable and robust system. Hence the question to you all for feedback.

Hey, how about dual horizontal floats on the landing gear and a dangling sensor, so the floats inflate just before touchdown and prevent your drone from sinking in the first place? The sensor could hang from a Y yolk between the twin units so it doesn't interfere with the camera gimbal (but it would show up in straight-down stots).

Nice idea, but unfortunately too heavy. Plus the sensor is attached to the inflatable bladder. I can't think of way of getting it to the end of the Y.

I actually like your device better than the Getterback. On a different note, when shooting video with your phone, turn it sideways! As a photographer, it annoys the H out of me when videos are shot vertically. When horizontal, it looks more professional and is easier to see the action when viewing on a phone. I know, I know, I'm a grouchy old man. Sorry. Keep working on that device. I like the inflatable float and the fact that it's almost instant.

Ha! No probs, more horizontal videos to come in the future! Will use the osmo. But only had the phone on me and wife was complaining about the cold, so was all a bit of a rush!

the inflatable is heavier than the getterback, but I believe it to be a more reliable and robust system
Any idea how much flight time would be lost by carrying that much weight? Also, did you notice any issues with the stability of the Phantom while flying?

Any idea how much flight time would be lost by carrying that much weight? Also, did you notice any issues with the stability of the Phantom while flying?

Weight is around 300g all in with the current design. I may be able to reduce further too. I've done some tests on a phantom 3, but I've got a phantom 4 pro arriving this week. I want to test on the p4p with a new battery to give exact flight time loses, but I suspect it will be similar to others that have tested with that sort of extra payload.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.