Water nerves.

Reaction score
Had my P3 Advanced for around 2wks now. Pretty comfortable flying on land, and have had around 10 trouble free flights (thankfully). I would love to take it to the beach and and out over the ocean (roughly 300 distance)

Is there anyways to over come the nerves of taking it out over water? I know that at the end of the day it is no different to flying over land, but there is always that worrying thought that something could go wrong, and sink to the bottom of the ocean (same could happen on land but you would in most cases be able to retrieve)

Any confidence boosters/tips would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: McGuardian
I was the same as you . The chances of something happening are slim, I just do it without thinking now. I don't go to close to water . It will be fine mate !

Reactions: pilot ss
CCDD Is right about the winds though .. I almost lost my drone trying to fly it back in strong winds . I was trying to fly it back to me and it just wasn't gaining any ground . I will never fly it like that again

This is always an option I suppose ;)
angel-water-wings.jpg

I would make sure you have at keast one spotter with you. Depending where you fly there is a chance law enforcement and especially emergency services aircraft, (usually heli's) may enter the airspace. One spot I fly the headland at the end of the beach i have seen helis that appeared to be just above eye level and not far out.

It's far easier to maintain control over water with a clear LOS and no trees or other structures to maneuver over and around, and even VLOS is easy. Just watch out for any Auto-land settings that could spell trouble, and wind, which can make it difficult to return safely. Stay above the water and below the wind. In the unlikely event that you do end up in the water, the fish won't sue!

The only difference I see in land vs water flights (and this coming from someone who hasn't spun up his props yet), is failure is an option over land and not over water. I doubt this thing floats. So, in a way, I was sorta serious about the water wings. I am wondering if some sort of ultra light weight waterwing sort of device could be attached to the undercarriage, at least for the first few flights. When over water, anything that goes wrong is probably going to be fatal for the bird especially if it sinks like a brick.

The only difference I see in land vs water flights (and this coming from someone who hasn't spun up his props yet), is failure is an option over land and not over water. I doubt this thing floats. So, in a way, I was sorta serious about the water wings. I am wondering if some sort of ultra light weight waterwing sort of device could be attached to the undercarriage, at least for the first few flights. When over water, anything that goes wrong is probably going to be fatal for the bird especially if it sinks like a brick.
After you've seen the carnage from a fall from 240 feet over land, it's just as fatal as a water landing, and lives and property could also be at risk. Mine fell just 15 feet away from me from 240 feet. Had it fallen on my head instead, I likely wouldn't be here to talk about it. I'll take a water submersion over a land crash any day. You can just walk away. I would not fully trust any craft that had fallen to the ground from 240 feet, even if you could repair it. Hidden damage is almost certain. Fish also don't sue.

Its also hard to snag a drone sitting on the bottom of 150' water. Think thats gonna be flyable after you dredge it up? Doubt it. Especially if it was salt water it splashed in.

Take it from me ... It does unfortunately sink like a brick . Foolish pilot error - flying back from over water in medium wind ... Prop caught small branch of overhanging tree that wind pulled me too close too and down it went . I won't be so careless next time .

The way i see it -depending on what you break when you crash, component and labour costs (and how good you are on the tools) provide that replacement with a new aircraft may ultimately be the best option in a lot of cases.

Difference is a total loss on land gives you a better chance of recovering the wreck and having the DAT file in hand when you approach DJI for a remedy (assuming hardware failure is a contributing factor).

Seascapes and access to views that can often only be obtained by flying over watet without attracting unwanted attention make, for me at least, the risk acceptable. I know if it all ends badly im more likleynto be out of pocket and factor that in.

A big benefit i see is that a crash is very umlikley to cause any damage to any animals, buildings (or othet property) or people,

Reactions: matti and GadgetGuy
CCDD Is right about the winds though .. I almost lost my drone trying to fly it back in strong winds . I was trying to fly it back to me and it just wasn't gaining any ground . I will never fly it like that again

This just happened to me yesterday. Flew out over rivers and marsh about 18000 ft with what I thought was a 10-12mph tail wind. Turned around when it told me to return home which usually leaves me about 25% battery after landing. My percentage kept dropping and I felt like distance was getting shorter at a snails pace. The bird wouldn't go over 18mph. I started sweating like a savage when I was at 25% and still 8000 ft away. Finally heard it and got eyes on it. I was prepared to swim to catch it if it started landing lol. Managed to get it at my feet at 11%. Scary stuff. This probably won't ease the original poster's nerves, but know that I was over 3 miles away. 300 feet should not make you nervous at all.

Just in case you guys weren't aware: GetterBack UAV Recovery System Just received mine the other day, nice and small and anytime I'm flying over water it will be installed.

Ok, is it me or does that image make that thing look like something someone of the female persuasion would order thats shipped in a plain brown wrapper from a adult store? "Rod Recovery System" on the side? Seriously?

Reactions: NRJ
I am wondering if some sort of ultra light weight waterwing sort of device could be attached to the undercarriage, at least for the first few flights
You've got a couple of ugly but very functional options:
  1. Use 2 empty ~20oz water bottles and Zip ties to create a couple of pontoons
  2. Use 2 empty 1quart Ziploc bags, inflate them with a couple of straws and Zip tie them to the bottom struts (i.e. water wings as in this video below)
Both of these will impair flight duration and heighten the impact of winds but at least it won't sink to the bottom...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Don't put anything on to assist floating. It will seriously affect the aerodynamics and make it virtually unflyable.

The only thing stopping you flying over water is you. The phantom doesn't know it's over water.

The best shots and pics are taken over water because that's where the public never get to go.

Just go and do it. Go out a few metres, about 50 or so, hang around, take a few pics then come back in and land.

Pause and think what you have just done. Then go and do what you want to do. Fly out to 300m. No problems. Get used to looking at the screen instead of the phantom. It'll be a breeze and soon you'll be wondering why you were nervous.

No trees out on the sea to catch you out!

You've got a couple of ugly but very functional options:
  1. Use 2 empty ~20oz water bottles and Zip ties to create a couple of pontoons
  2. Use 2 empty 1quart Ziploc bags, inflate them with a couple of straws and Zip tie them to the bottom struts (i.e. water wings as in this video below)
Both of these will impair flight duration and heighten the impact of winds but at least it won't sink to the bottom...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Well the two 20oz bottles displace 40oz of water which yields 2.5# of buoyancy, minus the weight of the zipties and bottles. What is the flight weight of a P3A? If its 2.5# or more, it still sinks.

Each quart bag potentially displaces 2# of water, assuming its fully inflated and doesn't pop on impact. So, two bags gets you a max of 4# buoyancy.

According to the specs a P3A weighs 1280g, thats 2.8#. With the soda bottles, its still going to the bottom unless some of that mass actually provides some sort of buoyancy. Likely the plastics. But the metal will provide negative buoyancy. I am not willing to sacrifice a P3 to see what its water displacement is. Anyone else? Sure would like to know what that number really is. DJI could do the test on a DOA or damaged drone. But they probably won't.

Don't put anything on to assist floating. It will seriously affect the aerodynamics and make it virtually unflyable.

The only thing stopping you flying over water is you. The phantom doesn't know it's over water.

The best shots and pics are taken over water because that's where the public never get to go.

Just go and do it. Go out a few metres, about 50 or so, hang around, take a few pics then come back in and land.

Pause and think what you have just done. Then go and do what you want to do. Fly out to 300m. No problems. Get used to looking at the screen instead of the phantom. It'll be a breeze and soon you'll be wondering why you were nervous.

No trees out on the sea to catch you out!

I agree. I will eventually get out over water. It won't be soon. But I will. I would like to get along the lake (Lake Michigan) to get some video of the shore ice thats likely forming soon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers