Water landings and takeoffs

Reaction score
First test of my Waterproof Quadcopter build in the lake. This is a DJI E300 kit in a Dex shell with NAZA Lite flight controller and GPS. Tests were with a Dinogy 2800 Mah battery and GoPro 3+ in it's housing. Brought it back in after half a dozen landings and takeoffs. All was dry inside. ESC's were barely warm. Battery was at 11.4v on landing after 7 minute flight.
http://youtu.be/zY8Ukpsh_PI

Nice!! I know you've been determined for a long time to get a water-safe solution working ;)

Happy with the Dex platform? I know it can be tricky to stuff everything inside one but they do seem to work fine in the water!

Very good indeed - most impressive. Is it totally waterproof or just as it floats? Just ask as your first water take off looked like you had a bit of water surface tension holding on to the quad a bit and almost tipped it off balance till you throttled out of it.

dirkclod said:
Cool and I bet you had tight cheeks when ya did that :lol: Do ya not worry a little water might splash in the motors or would that not matter ?
Fresh water should not hurt the motors. Could maybe cause the bearings to rust over time.

pilsburypie said:
Very good indeed - most impressive. Is it totally waterproof or just as it floats? Just ask as your first water take off looked like you had a bit of water surface tension holding on to the quad a bit and almost tipped it off balance till you throttled out of it.
It is completely sealed up. I poured tons of water over it from every angle last night and no leaks. It should survive even falling in the water upside down. I really don't plan to regularly land and take off from water, I just want to be able to recover the bird and GoPro with no major damage in case of an accidental water landing.

OI Photography said:
Nice!! I know you've been determined for a long time to get a water-safe solution working ;)

Happy with the Dex platform? I know it can be tricky to stuff everything inside one but they do seem to work fine in the water!
Thanks,
There is plenty of room in the shell. I can add one or even two more batteries. One of the biggest challenges was getting everything leveled up and mounting the parts inside. All surfaces are curved, nothing is flat or square.

syotr said:
dirkclod said:
Cool and I bet you had tight cheeks when ya did that :lol: Do ya not worry a little water might splash in the motors or would that not matter ?
Fresh water should not hurt the motors. Could maybe cause the bearings to rust over time.

I have had salt water immersion twice on the original phantom motors. I promptly rinsed them with fresh water and they are still operational today.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31