Water crash

Reaction score
Follow up to question I posted a couple of days ago regarding advice on flying a half mile from radio transmission tower. Had no problems doing so. No interference, bird flew perfectly.
Unfortunately I flew it into the water about 200 feet off shore.....completely my error!!
A nearby good Samaritan with a boat took me out to look for it and, miraculously we retrieved it.
I brought it home, submerged it in fresh water blew it dry with an air compressor and buried it in rice where it is sitting now. I plan on leaving it alone for at least a week.
Anyone ever have this happen and P3 survive?
Also wondering about the battery. I assume it's dead (or fried). No lights when I got it out of the water and I haven't tried powering it up. It looks completely intact. No swelling. It's buried separately in rice as well. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Ghost2508
Many a Mavic have survived crashes in fresh water. Make sure it has dried completely before attempting to power it on again.

Also wondering about the battery. I assume it's dead (or fried). No lights when I got it out of the water and I haven't tried powering it up. It looks completely intact.
It would be safest to dispose of it.

I brought it home, submerged it in fresh water

Very good. That is the best way to go. Getting rid of the salt is a priority.
I mean, after removing the battery ofc.

blew it dry with an air compressor

Good.

buried it in rice where it is sitting now

This is not the best way to go. Although the myth is so popular, I'm not sure I can convince any believers of that method.
Anyway, the better way is to leave the drone somewhere with high air circulation - so usually outside, in a windy place.

I had a drone which was swimming in ocean once, for diagnosis. Unfortunately, most power circuits (buck converters) were fried. Also, water must've shorted 3.3V line to battery, because all 3.3V ICs (flight controller, SD-card for flight logs, IMU) were all dead. But the drone was not properly maintained as you did it, so you may have better luck.

Also wondering about the battery. I assume it's dead (or fried). No lights when I got it out of the water and I haven't tried powering it up. It looks completely intact. No swelling.

Most likely dead, and most people here will suggest throwing it out. Personally I would try to fix it instead.

In general, you did good work with your actions. I would probably disassemble the drone and dry all the boards separately, but that requires more skill and more time.

If you want any chance of longevity you need to disassemble the AC and clean everything you can. iPA with a toothbrush would be a good start.

Forget the rice, as has been said above air circulation is far more effective. The rice method is an old wives tale.

As far as the battery goes give it the same treatment. There is no more chance of water entering the cells than there is of the electrolyte leaking out. The lithium in the pack is not in metallic form anyway. Air crew are advised to use water in lithium battery emergencies if an extinguisher isn’t readily available. Just to satisfy myself if this i punctured a discharged lipo cell keft it in a bucket of water for three days, nothing happened. Your only risk would be a short circuit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pharm
Sounds like the spell Harry Potter uses to clean his smoking equipment. (at least for Polish people; keft is how we call the sticky goo which settles when smoking weed)

EDIT:
Also, I agree Isopropyl Alcohol is great for cleaning electronic boards; I'm using it too.

2 days ago was flying above a river in Germany at night and stupidly tangled in some braches and crashed into river. recovered it after 15 mis, 5'deep, removed battery immediately, but guess the water shorts it and helps save drone. Took back to flat, emptied what I could out, then dried with hair drier and left to dry in ventilated room on floor with underfloor heating. Tried 24 hours later, esc errors and barometer fluctuating and error42, dried some more with drier, left 12 hours, tried again, this time could start so left running with blades in, until battery ran out. Went to large field today all functions work well and flew full throttle up down left right etc. Did have slight issue with camera with moisture on lens but took it off and cleaned it. I will leave in warm room for couple days and fly daily in field before driving to locations to photo again, think I may have been lucky. No need to leave for weeks, if it is broke leaving it 2 weeks wont fix it, it does not take 2 weeks to dry.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues