Watching the forward Obstacle Sensing System work

Reaction score
File this under, so cool to see it in action:
Flew around the other side of a tall building, putting it between me and the drone, and it lost connection to the controller so it immediately started a Return To Home. It was already higher than the return home altitude so it just aligned with home and started back. Then almost runs into a room atop the buildings roof. Adjusts upwards and proceeds, almost hits a small air ventilation device, it adjusts by going up and around. And then resumes for home. Once it's clear of the rooftop I regain connection and take control over.

Just showing off how the FOSS works ;)

Reactions: ray rokni
So why on earth are you flying in a downtown area? IF you had lost contact and the system didn't work or didn't 'see' a smaller protrusion, you could have crashed. Sending the Drone down onto someone else standing below. This is against the law in the UK and I am certain it is against the law in the US with the new FAA rules. Why on earth do people fly in areas that are banned? The last thing any of us needs is yet more bad publicity.

So why on earth are you flying in a downtown area? IF you had lost contact and the system didn't work or didn't 'see' a smaller protrusion, you could have crashed. Sending the Drone down onto someone else standing below. This is against the law in the UK and I am certain it is against the law in the US with the new FAA rules. Why on earth do people fly in areas that are banned? The last thing any of us needs is yet more bad publicity.

Why? Why not?
This is not a NFZ - what's illegal about it?

Last edited:
Yet again, breaking the rules of the game. Sorry, I didn't write them, but I do abide by them. The FAA states that, in the US, 'recreational use' of drones (UAVs) should abide by the following:

• Fly at or below 400 feet and stay away from surrounding obstacles
  • Keep your UAS within sight
  • Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
  • Never fly over groups of people
  • Never fly over stadiums or sports events
  • Never fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
  • Never fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol
  • Understand airspace restrictions and requirements
Which part of 'never fly over groups of people' or 'never fly over stadiums or sports events' is difficult to understand? Just asking...

You might want also fix horizon level.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yet again, breaking the rules of the game. Sorry, I didn't write them, but I do abide by them. The FAA states that, in the US, 'recreational use' of drones (UAVs) should abide by the following:

Which part of 'never fly over groups of people' or 'never fly over stadiums or sports events' is difficult to understand? Just asking...
And aside from being right next to the stadium in the video, that sky scraper would be considered a little tiny "Surrounding Obstacle", wouldn't it? lol

And aside from being right next to the stadium in the video, that sky scraper would be considered a little tiny "Surrounding Obstacle", wouldn't it? lol

"Right next to" - 1/4 mile away? And rules say, "no fly over" not "next to"

And how is the target of your flight / video considered an obstacle?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

You see any groups of people?
And I didn't fly over a stadium.
Just saying

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj