watching 4k on new 4k tv

Reaction score
hi all, i purchased a Kogan 55" 4k smart tv but it wont play the 4k media from usb? i even tried vlc media player and that would not work either any hints or tips?
thanks

Likely a Codec issue ie it won't play .mov files. So you need to convert them using a computer to a format your TV will play.
There are a number of free video converters available for download

What kind of "4K" resolution are you using? Many UHD tvs have issues playing "full" 4K (4096x2160). Try to change the settings to 3840x2160 ;)

hi all, i purchased a Kogan 55" 4k smart tv but it wont play the 4k media from usb? i even tried vlc media player and that would not work either any hints or tips?
thanks
How are you actually connecting this.
I found my Panasonic 'couldn't play' from the SD card via card reader until I bought a USB3 reader and used the USB3 input
Similar issues if I transferred to a USB flash drive - no good until I got USB3 stick.
It could play 4K via HDMI from the laptop though.

Other posts make good points about codecs however the Phantoms are not using anything novel - the great majority of TVs should be able to pay it direct.
At worst you might need run files through a converter if not actually editing.

I transfer my 4k files from my P3 Pro which are (4096x2160) to a USB3 portable hd, then plug that directly into the USB3 input on my Samsung 55" tv and they play smoothly and perfectly.
I think you need usb3 to play 4k files?

Also just to add my tv plays either Mov or Mp4 files, i don't edit the files or anything on my computer as my pc cannot handle 4k, i just watch the videos as they were recorded on my P3P.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phantom fisher
I transfer my 4k files from my P3 Pro which are (4096x2160) to a USB3 portable hd, then plug that directly into the USB3 input on my Samsung 55" tv and they play smoothly and perfectly.
I think you need usb3 to play 4k files?

Also just to add my tv plays either Mov or Mp4 files, i don't edit the files or anything on my computer as my pc cannot handle 4k, i just watch the videos as they were recorded on my P3P.
i tried a usb 3 can play 2.8k with that but still having trouble with 4k mp3

Also make sure the TV is connected to the internet so that it can update or download codecs if it needs it.

The codec is not .mov or .mp4. Those are containers. The codec used in both the .mov and .mp4 is .h264
Look in the tv manual and see if your tv supports .h264. Also look and see if it supports mov or mp4.

For a PC you can easily change the mov container to a mp4 for your existing videos by using a free program called MP4BoxGui.
You need to demux (extract) the .h264 file. Then MUX the .h624 file. The out put file will be identical but in an MP4 container.
There is not recompression and the whole operation might take 5 minutes.

I looked up what I think is your tv and it runs on Android. If I have the correct one. It may just be it does not have a 4k android app installed to view the files.
If it has a file explorer are you able to see the file names? If not, then you haven't gotten to the Playing the video part yet.

Also under specs I see this:
display
Brightness
280cd/m²
Dynamic Contrast Ratio
1200:1
Max. Resolution
3840 x 2016 @ 30FPS via HDMI

Does that mean you can only get that resolution via the HDMI input? I don't know.

It looks like a nice TV. I may have to do some shopping.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20