WARNING!

Reaction score
I learned the hard way tonight! Make sure you check every preflight that your phantom is in feet and not meters or vice versa if you use metric. I have no idea how mine changed but I flew this evening and thought I was at 400 feet I was at 400meters! AMOST 1400 FEET!!! It was evening so by lights you can't tell its that high and I was in full visual contact the whole time. I have no idea how the app changed or how I did it but there needs to be a double confirmation screen or something to do that. the only thing i did was turn my led off for a shot. I was dangerously high and feel terrible I always keep an eye out for aircraft and was in a safe flight zone none the less 1300 feet is way too high as a full size pilot as well it really hit home with me!! On a side note am I going to get a knock my door from the FAA ha ha, no seriously though? I did contact DJI support that they need to address this and I will always check before flights now!

Whoa...I'm also a GA pilot. I feel 'ya, thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: Branden
Well if you put on some lights like I have On mine there would be no mistake. I can clearly see my P34K for over 2000 ft distance. Be thankful it was eventless and nothing happened. I mainly fly at the model airfeild at a park near where I live and that park is 9.2 miles aways from the airport (FFL) But there are times I see aircraft flying low directlty over the park and am tempted tp call the tower and ask them wtf? Planes as low as 600-700 ft alt. Sadly the day one goes down from a drone it will be all over with our hobby. :( Sometimes I fly near home and I feel better that I have my quad trimmed all around with LEDS making it very visible as I have also seen police helicopters passing by under 400 ft. Now they cans see me!

I learned the hard way tonight! Make sure you check every preflight that your phantom is in feet and not meters or vice versa if you use metric. I have no idea how mine changed but I flew this evening and thought I was at 400 feet I was at 400meters! AMOST 1400 FEET!!! It was evening so by lights you can't tell its that high and I was in full visual contact the whole time. I have no idea how the app changed or how I did it but there needs to be a double confirmation screen or something to do that. the only thing i did was turn my led off for a shot. I was dangerously high and feel terrible I always keep an eye out for aircraft and was in a safe flight zone none the less 1300 feet is way too high as a full size pilot as well it really hit home with me!! On a side note am I going to get a knock my door from the FAA ha ha, no seriously though? I did contact DJI support that they need to address this and I will always check before flights now!
I only noticed changed back to metrics system when I upgraded my DJI Go App. Otherwise telemetry stayed back on feet. Do you have two devices like iPad and iPhone that you keep changing?

Anyway it's a new check point for everyone of us to very telemetry units at least once before taking off.

Well if you put on some lights like I have On mine there would be no mistake. I can clearly see my P34K for over 2000 ft distance. Be thankful it was eventless and nothing happened. I mainly fly at the model airfeild at a park near where I live and that park is 9.2 miles aways from the airport (FFL) But there are times I see aircraft flying low directlty over the park and am tempted tp call the tower and ask them wtf? Planes as low as 600-700 ft alt. Sadly the day one goes down from a drone it will be all over with our hobby. :( Sometimes I fly near home and I feel better that I have my quad trimmed all around with LEDS making it very visible as I have also seen police helicopters passing by under 400 ft. Now they cans see me!
I had lights on it was in full sight the whole time and controllable that wasn't the issue. My issue was the app had switched from feet to meters so while I thought I was at 400 feet I was at 400 meters!

The little M after the height should be a hint
i-NpPbD55-L.png

thats great but on I'm on an iPhone 5 very small plus i had no reason to believe it had changed from feet to meters I will be checking this every preflight now

I had lights on it was in full sight the whole time and controllable that wasn't the issue. My issue was the app had switched from feet to meters so while I thought I was at 400 feet I was at 400 meters!
Then it should have given you a warning when you hit 120 meters that you are at maximum altitude. Did you have your audio off?

Then it should have given you a warning when you hit 120 meters that you are at maximum altitude. Did you have your audio off?
Only had it a week not my first quad but my first DJI it gave no warning and checking after the flight it said max altitude was 0 so how it let me take off I don't know?

I use a 10.1" tablet. I would go nuts with such a small screen. Hey but thank you for the heads up its something to keep in mind when flying. We are all here to help one another so dont feel bad at all. Things happen. This is a good forum with some good people here. Im glad to be part of it.

I use a 10.1" tablet. I would go nuts with such a small screen. Hey but thank you for the heads up its something to keep in mind when flying. We are all here to help one another so dont feel bad at all. Things happen. This is a good forum with some good people here. Im glad to be part of it.
Thanks appreciate that one other poster made me feel like it was intentional it was an honest mistake that is not written anywhere to check to see if it changed before every flight so i wanted to share I contacted DJI about it as well who says they are working with R&D to make that if you change that it will ask you to confirm so it can't be inadvertently done

Reactions: Rambo1
I've had mine up past 300m but it was out in the country at our RC heli field. And no passenger planes were in the near vicinity. ;-)

It's quite the awesome view, from up there. Hehe

RedHotPoker

I've had it happen, too, when testing the Air2 with a different P3P than normal, which didn't work because of an older DJI GO version. However, each time I tried it, when I went back to the original P3P, everything was in meters instead of feet, which I also didn't discover until in the air. My speeds were in m/s instead of mph, which gave me no frame of reference for the wind! Had to park it in the air, and reset everything! Word to the wise: if the telemetry changed from Imperial to metric, I can virtually guarantee that other settings were changed, too! Recheck everything! It also changed my video bit rate to max instead of 4 mbs, which caused the video feed to degrade at a much closer distance, and turned video cache back on, and reset RTH to the default 50m!:eek:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20