Warning Strong radio interference

Reaction score
I am having problems with the live video feed on my tablet, an Archos 101b Oxygen, the image breaks up and goes pixelated about once every second.

I have been trying to eliminate the source of the problem, whether it is an SD card that is too slow, it happens with the card supplied by DJI, or radio interference, I get warnings popping up that there is strong radio interference on both the 2.4 and 5.8 bands, or is my tablet too slow, Android 6.1 Marshmallow on a dual core 1.3GHz 2GB ram 32GB storage with 32GB SanDisk Ultra configured as internal memory.

The interference is less when I'm indoors, I tried filming both with and without the motors running and that makes no difference.
I live about 3km from an active airbase and wonder if their radar could be affecting it?
Yesterday I filmed at my son's property and still had interference but not so bad as at my own home, he lives about another 2.5km further away from the airbase.

I am having problems with the live video feed on my tablet, an Archos 101b Oxygen, the image breaks up and goes pixelated about once every second.

I have been trying to eliminate the source of the problem, whether it is an SD card that is too slow, it happens with the card supplied by DJI, or radio interference, I get warnings popping up that there is strong radio interference on both the 2.4 and 5.8 bands, or is my tablet too slow, Android 6.1 Marshmallow on a dual core 1.3GHz 2GB ram 32GB storage with 32GB SanDisk Ultra configured as internal memory.

The interference is less when I'm indoors, I tried filming both with and without the motors running and that makes no difference.
I live about 3km from an active airbase and wonder if their radar could be affecting it?
Yesterday I filmed at my son's property and still had interference but not so bad as at my own home, he lives about another 2.5km further away from the airbase.
I would set the hrtz to Auto.high end sd card. Clear out your cashe.. Fixed....

Is it rhythmic? Radars rotating could do that. Has nothing to do with the sd card. Your devices specs look to be adequate.

If the video on the SD card is ok, it's not a problem with the SD card. More than likely, it's an issue with the tablet (specs sound a bit iffy, to me).
Make sure you shut down all other apps on the Archos and try again. Even try rebooting the device.
I used to get problems with my P3P when I tried to run Litchi and DJI Go on the same tablet. If that's your setup, you may want to try uninstalling other apps that might share resources with DJI Go.
Then there's always the USB cable. Regardless to what you may have heard, they are not all created equal.

I’ve found the P4’s receivers to be highly selective and mostly immune to same band frequencies. I have a wireless internet business and I often fly within two feet directly in front of three sector antennas at 2.4 GHz and my dish at 5.8 GHz. This is inspection flights only but never had any indication of interference. I’m not up on radar signals and you didn’t mention the band (frequency) but if the event is evenly timed that could be your problem. Please post later what you find and thanks for this interesting post![emoji108]
Jim
WA5TEF

Seriously doubt it has anything to do with the SD card. Have you looked at the bands to customize pick a channel?

@Infidel0007 It is set on auto, looking at the display of the band usage it does go up and down at about 1 cycle per second.

@GrammatonxXXxCleric yes it is rhythmic at about 1Hz, very roughly not put a stop watch or that on it.

@Techcop50 the tablet won't play it back at 4k, tried mp4 and mov and h264/h265. My PC will play back the 4k video fine if I transfer it to the hdd or ssd first, I have already disabled most programs on my device, the only one I have not force quit is kindle everything else is closed and I reboot before I start DJI Go.

@wa5tef I don't know which bands the local radar is on - there maybe more than one type of radar here being surrounded by military bases, I know there has been a big exercise on here and aircraft have been flying day and night with me spotting Tornados as well as a flight of F5e in addition to the local F16s.

My WiFi is on both 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz and has been for years, even in the same room and close to the WiFi router the aircraft still flies fine, I had put it down to my aging iPhone 5s as the weak link and I got the Archos tablet as it's spec seemed to be quite good for the price.

Next week I will hop across the border and seek out a quiet spot to go have a fly away from as much radio signals as possible.

@AirMan05446 yep, they look full here all have red markers on them on 2.4GHz, 5.8GHz looks clear but I still get the strong radio signal warning when I switch to that band. too late tonight but I will get screen grabs of what the messages are at some point tomorrow.

If the video on the SD card is ok, it's not a problem with the SD card. More than likely, it's an issue with the tablet (specs sound a bit iffy, to me).
Make sure you shut down all other apps on the Archos and try again. Even try rebooting the device.
I used to get problems with my P3P when I tried to run Litchi and DJI Go on the same tablet. If that's your setup, you may want to try uninstalling other apps that might share resources with DJI Go.
Then there's always the USB cable. Regardless to what you may have heard, they are not all created equal.
Marshmallow has been unstable with dji app. For me...litchi in my unbiased unpaid no dog in the fight ....very smooth . and after building confidence... I beleive these guys know what they are doing....and i would cut my. Company programmers "DJI" getting schooled....litchi would be my mac is to Apple.....Bravo

As Techcop suggested, for the live video feed problem, you may want to try using a device with some beefier specs. Your current tablet specs (1.2ghz, dual core, 4gb memory) may well be too marginal when running the app with live video. I had some very similar problems when using my old LG phone (1.3ghz, QUAD core, 3gb memory). I upgraded to a Galaxy S5 and all those video problems and DJI app crashing disappeared. Some things that may help you now, if you haven't already done this, go into your tablet settings, enable "Developer options" and turn on "Force GPU rendering". That will take some of the load off the CPU. I suspect the CPU in your tablet may be taxed to its limits. I'd also suggest freeing up any internal memory possible. I hope that helps.

As Techcop suggested, for the live video feed problem, you may want to try using a device with some beefier specs. Your current tablet specs (1.2ghz, dual core, 4gb memory) may well be too marginal when running the app with live video. I had some very similar problems when using my old LG phone (1.3ghz, QUAD core, 3gb memory). I upgraded to a Galaxy S5 and all those video problems and DJI app crashing disappeared. Some things that may help you now, if you haven't already done this, go into your tablet settings, enable "Developer options" and turn on "Force GPU rendering". That will take some of the load off the CPU. I suspect the CPU in your tablet may be taxed to its limits. I'd also suggest freeing up any internal memory possible. I hope that helps.
What are the specs in the S5?

Marshmallow 6.01, 2.5ghz quad core, 2gb RAM, 16gb ROM. Supports SD card up to 128gb, 5" AMOLED screen. My old LG used to get hot when running the DJI app. Not so much with the Samsung.

Thanks for the advice... now off to try the suggestions

Seriously doubt it has anything to do with the SD card. Have you looked at the bands to customize pick a channel?
There is no "Custom Mode" available in the EU, when DJI Go 4 is run without being connected to the RC then the Custom button is shown but greyed out, once you connect the RC then you lose the custom button completely as can be seen on the accompanying pic.

I'm a complete novice to Android and this tablet is my first Android device so learning as we go here, I have turned on the force GPU rendering and will give that a try, all apps are force stopped but one or two of them won't allow that, then boot from cold before running DJI Go 4.

Attachments

• _DSC5804.JPG
    _DSC5804.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 326
Turning off the Cache video and audio locally has helped, it still gets the occasional glitch in the video feed but it is very minor and does not disrupt the whole screen like it used to.

Now at least I can see what the P4P can see and not have to guess like I was having to do before, it is a big difference!

flying out and over the tent I had no video on screen and had to guess what was going on by watching the drone rather than what the video feed was.

The video can occasionally get glitchy but glad that's working better. I think what was happening is you had the live video stream competing with the phone's own processor for a limited amount of internal memory. If you haven't already looked into using a third party app to move some existing apps from internal memory to your SD card to free up some memory, that may help also. Good luck.

Already done that, it was an option when I put in a new SD card and formatted it for the tablet. Thanks for the suggestion

If in urban areas, switch to 5.8Ghz CUSTOM channel, and 4-6Mbits. Also turn of cashing video to your phone/tablet. This is a 100% solution, trust me! :)

Reactions: Alicatt
Yup it made a difference :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj