WARNING for GO App

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey Guys and Gals,

If you have more than one Phantom like I do, be highly advised that you will loose the PILOT APP if you download the GO APP on the same device. The GO APP will automatically replace the Pilot App on your device.

I was stupid and thought that the GO App would show up in my Apps Page as a separate App, but it replaced my DJI Pilot App, without my permission.

DJI does not tell you this anywhere, so be advised. I personally wanted to keep the DJI Pilot App and now have lost it. It worked great with my P3P.

I had actually bought another iOS tablet for my new P3S but could not get the App Store to open in the tablet, I wanted to have one tablet dedicated to each Phantom 3 I own. Since the App Store would not open, I elected to use my dedicated Tablet with DJI Pilot App and see if I could open the App Store, which it did, so went ahead and downloaded the Go App for the P3S and in so doing lost the Pilot App.

DJI needs to return the original PILOT App for download for those of us who want to keep it and use it on our P3P's. With DJI's messing up firmware and anything else, they need to keep the original programs available.

What's wrong with the Go APP or rather why do you want the 'old' one ?

I'm sure someone will be along shortly and supply you with a link to the Pilot APP if you want it . . .

Reactions: Buckaye
The main changes were to the UI and director part of the app. It's still the pilot app with some minor changes and bug fixes.

Isn't it true that eventually we will have no choice but to use the GO app, including accepting automatic updates? I read that somewhere, and I stupidly discarded the source. PErsonally I have no problems with it - it works fine, and the update was easy, especially updating the RC from the app. And yes, I realize and appreciate how lucky I am. :)

It seems to me that I had to tell it to update, therefor giving my permission. On another device it updated automatically. Something I had to allow it to do, also meaning I gave my permission. Perhaps an understanding of what you mean by "without my permission" would be in order?

Also if something goes wrong and your "NOT" using the latest version of the app ITS YOUR FAULT!!

Simple - Use the GO app !! and latest firmware.!!

Hey Guys and Gals,

If you have more than one Phantom like I do, be highly advised that you will loose the PILOT APP if you download the GO APP on the same device. The GO APP will automatically replace the Pilot App on your device.

I was stupid and thought that the GO App would show up in my Apps Page as a separate App, but it replaced my DJI Pilot App, without my permission.

DJI does not tell you this anywhere, so be advised. I personally wanted to keep the DJI Pilot App and now have lost it. It worked great with my P3P.

I had actually bought another iOS tablet for my new P3S but could not get the App Store to open in the tablet, I wanted to have one tablet dedicated to each Phantom 3 I own. Since the App Store would not open, I elected to use my dedicated Tablet with DJI Pilot App and see if I could open the App Store, which it did, so went ahead and downloaded the Go App for the P3S and in so doing lost the Pilot App.

DJI needs to return the original PILOT App for download for those of us who want to keep it and use it on our P3P's. With DJI's messing up firmware and anything else, they need to keep the original programs available.

It seems like that kind of sucks. DJI set it up that way evidently to wipe out the Pilot App upon downloading Go App. Wonder what they are thinking. You are the first one to warn us. I wonder if your Pilot App would have been stored in the cloud?

Also if something goes wrong and your "NOT" using the latest version of the app ITS YOUR FAULT!!

Simple - Use the GO app !! and latest firmware.!!

That's a good point. Seems like the perfect excuse for DJI. It also seems likely that any subsequent additions (POI, home lock, etc) may require the GO app in order to function.

Seems the Go app is pretty much the same to me too, I agree with the rest of the group posting here. I'm not sure why you're complaining. What is it that you prefer from Pilot over the Go app?

That said, imagine the surprise when I arrived at a shoot, then opening up my iPad app to find the Pilot app GONE and totally replaced with GO. That moment of ignorance was not pleasant. I didn't know what to expect from a new DJI app, and that really ticked me off. That moment wasn't the time and place for me to learn a new app. I had a job to do and any delays or mistakes from being unfamiliar with a new app was a risk. I felt very unprepared, and that's out of my norm, very uncomfortable. It took me 30min to reassure myself I could take off, but I took extra precautions and system checkout, which is why it took an extra 30min. Fortunately everything went smooth.

DJI is totally wrong to replace old apps automatically IMO. With the history of DJI's messing up software/firmware there should be an option to disable automatic updates with the DJI app itself, while leaving my existing apps to auto update as I have selected. Normally I trust most apps on my iPad to update automatically, as those apps aren't high risk if something doesn't work, it won't affect my work process much. However, changes to something that flies that can crash into something or someone is a different story. I don't like changing s/w automatically, it needs to be announced first with a list of changes made. Downloading separately should be allowed so it can be test flown first, and if it isn't good, the pilot should be able to choose to go back to the previous app. There should be nothing wrong with two DJI apps on the iPad to select from. This should be simple for DJI to do, and I'm unclear what their motivation is for NOT allowing that.

Reactions: Nick G.
They aren't two different apps, they simply renamed it. Knowing that DJI is going to be making a lot of changes in the near future, and your obvious understanding of the potential danger, both to others and your business ventures, why would you not block your apps from auto updating?

As Streve mentioned, they are the same app. DJI added some features, changed the look and changed the name. As such, do you now have an issue with the updated app?

As Streve mentioned, they are the same app. DJI added some features, changed the look and changed the name. As such, do you now have an issue with the updated app?
Well, when DJI updates things, it doesn't always work out well, as some of us can attest to. I think to err on caution is a good idea. Having and old app to fall back on wouldn't be a bad thing, would it?

Well, when DJI updates things, it doesn't always work out well, as some of us can attest to. I think to err on caution is a good idea. Having and old app to fall back on wouldn't be a bad thing, would it?

Download itools backup the ipa.. This way you will have the option to use what you want. But remember you either had auto updates on or downloaded the app yourself. Cant really blame dji for that...

Then dont update! Seems pretty simple. And if you want to have the old app to go back to then keep a copy of the old apps install file to use... as I do. They YOU covered yourself in all ways. A person has to be responsible for their own 'whatever".. its not someone else s problem! On one hand we have people crying and complaining because DJI hasn't GIVEN us the features they promised. Although those promises weren't set on any timeline. And then you have the people that toss a tantrum because they put out an update. No, I'm not saying that AgentOrange came off as a tantrum either... just showing the extremes. There cant be progress without changes. And there cant be changes without some form of growing pains! Those of us that make a living off of our work need to ensure, for ourselves, that our work can be done. And in that, no matter what the work is, we need to ensure that our tools are reliable.. so WE have to take steps to secure that reliability. Its NOT DJIs problem!

Seems the Go app is pretty much the same to me too, I agree with the rest of the group posting here. I'm not sure why you're complaining. What is it that you prefer from Pilot over the Go app?

That said, imagine the surprise when I arrived at a shoot, then opening up my iPad app to find the Pilot app GONE and totally replaced with GO. That moment of ignorance was not pleasant. I didn't know what to expect from a new DJI app, and that really ticked me off. That moment wasn't the time and place for me to learn a new app. I had a job to do and any delays or mistakes from being unfamiliar with a new app was a risk. I felt very unprepared, and that's out of my norm, very uncomfortable. It took me 30min to reassure myself I could take off, but I took extra precautions and system checkout, which is why it took an extra 30min. Fortunately everything went smooth.

DJI is totally wrong to replace old apps automatically IMO. With the history of DJI's messing up software/firmware there should be an option to disable automatic updates with the DJI app itself, while leaving my existing apps to auto update as I have selected. Normally I trust most apps on my iPad to update automatically, as those apps aren't high risk if something doesn't work, it won't affect my work process much. However, changes to something that flies that can crash into something or someone is a different story. I don't like changing s/w automatically, it needs to be announced first with a list of changes made. Downloading separately should be allowed so it can be test flown first, and if it isn't good, the pilot should be able to choose to go back to the previous app. There should be nothing wrong with two DJI apps on the iPad to select from. This should be simple for DJI to do, and I'm unclear what their motivation is for NOT allowing that.

DJI has no control over your tablet/phone settings. It only updated because YOU did not change the default IOS auto update feature. You can thank Apple for that, not DJI's fault at all.

Alan

Then dont update! Seems pretty simple. And if you want to have the old app to go back to then keep a copy of the old apps install file to use... as I do. They YOU covered yourself in all ways. A person has to be responsible for their own 'whatever".. its not someone else s problem! On one hand we have people crying and complaining because DJI hasn't GIVEN us the features they promised. Although those promises weren't set on any timeline. And then you have the people that toss a tantrum because they put out an update. No, I'm not saying that AgentOrange came off as a tantrum either... just showing the extremes. There cant be progress without changes. And there cant be changes without some form of growing pains! Those of us that make a living off of our work need to ensure, for ourselves, that our work can be done. And in that, no matter what the work is, we need to ensure that our tools are reliable.. so WE have to take steps to secure that reliability. Its NOT DJIs problem!
Hi Steve:

Do you really think you are going to change people by just telling them how you perceive they should be? I'm sure you know people at times will complain if they were hung with a new rope. Its a perfectly normal reaction for people to be upset when things don't go like they think they should. I'm not saying that that concept is right or wrong. There are all kinds of people buying these drones. Some are reasonable and some are not and everything in between. I'm wondering why you think you should have to scold them and straighten them out? If people think they have been wronged, you are not going to change anything by telling them to straighten up. Just saying. Lots of people on here don't have any compassion for the whiners. Just move on. We can't change the world.;)

Reactions: Stephan
What's wrong with the Go APP or rather why do you want the 'old' one ?

I'm sure someone will be along shortly and supply you with a link to the Pilot APP if you want it . . .

I can tell you right now what is wrong with the Android version of the DJI GO app; it disconnects randomly in mid flight. Never had that problem with the DJI Pilot app.

As far as the auto update part of it, I keep my tablet in airplane mode at all times until I decide to seek out an update. I also have all apps set to disable installation unless I give my permission, so I don't have the problem with a foreign version of an app showing up on my tablet.

With that being said I do still have the Pilot App downloaded on my tablet but I am not sure which is worse: running with an app that I know can disconnect at any moment or running with new firmware for the batteries, P3P, and controller but the old version of the app.

Hi Steve:

Do you really think you are going to change people by just telling them how you perceive they should be? I'm sure you know people at times will complain if they were hung with a new rope. Its a perfectly normal reaction for people to be upset when things don't go like they think they should. I'm not saying that that concept is right or wrong. There are all kinds of people buying these drones. Some are reasonable and some are not and everything in between. I'm wondering why you think you should have to scold them and straighten them out? If people think they have been wronged, you are not going to change anything by telling them to straighten up. Just saying. Lots of people on here don't have any compassion for the whiners. Just move on. We can't change the world.;)
Great thought, except every response to this post, except yours, says basically the same thing. So why did you feel the need to try to "scold" me for what I said?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik