Warming up time before no jerk video?

So am I , but I got tired of waiting for the signal to connect, so I stuck it in the freezer for five minutes, took it out and did the IMU and solved that issue. Now it connects QUICK.. Took 10 minutes tops, including the cool off process.
It was pretty cold in my garage this morning. Fortunately my P3 back pack was left in garage yesterday. Decided to do IMU, set up my RC first with ready to click. Switched on P3 and the moment I got connection to it, pressed IMU button. All got done in about 10 minutes. Rebooted P3 and it stopped showing "warming Up..." message.

Thx bobmyers for creating fire in me to just DO IT.

It was pretty cold in my garage this morning. Fortunately my P3 back pack was left in garage yesterday. Decided to do IMU, set up my RC first with ready to click. Switched on P3 and the moment I got connection to it, pressed IMU button. All got done in about 10 minutes. Rebooted P3 and it stopped showing "warming Up..." message.

Thx bobmyers for creating fire in me to just DO IT.
Id rather be flying :D:D

I can see some fool putting his Phantom in the fridge because he believe this crap lol :D
look at this video than make up your mind about misinformation.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: bobmyers
look at this video than make up your mind about misinformation.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
There you go-- forgot about that video-- there are a few others as well. :)

There you go-- forgot about that video-- there are a few others as well. :)
yeah there are several out there that talk about imu cold calabration.
one of the other members on this forum told me about the imu cold calabration.
after you did this the problem you had was gone wasn't it?

yeah there are several out there that talk about imu cold calabration.
one of the other members on this forum told me about the imu cold calabration.
after you did this the problem you had was gone wasn't it?
yes,, connects and is ready to fly in less than 30 seconds

Read the threads, there must be a lot of fools on this forum-- but I dont think I want to call them fools, Most of them know their P3's and how to make them fly.
Little do they know that doing a "warm" IMU calibration yield the exact same results.

I can see some fool putting his Phantom in the fridge because he believe this crap lol :D
image.jpeg

Not a fool here, it works.
Cold IMU calibration has been known to speed up warm-up times for quite awhile. Especially in cold temperature climates, the warm-up time can waste 10% of your flight time.
IMU Warning and slow warm up | DJI Phantom Forum

Last edited:
I also experienced a reduced warm up time after a cold-er IMU calibration.

The IMU's signal variance is related to change in temperature. It does this "warming up" to compare raw IMU values while temperature rises is a controlled/predictable manner. This generates some sort of "compensation curve" which is then applied to the raw imu stats before being used as data for the flight computer.

Basically, running the IMU Cal at a lower starting temperature seems to mean that this "compensation curve" is obtained more quickly. As to specifically why that is? You'd have to ask an engineer who understands the exact nature of the IMU sensor(s).

I also experienced a reduced warm up time after a cold-er IMU calibration.

The IMU's signal variance is related to change in temperature. It does this "warming up" to compare raw IMU values while temperature rises is a controlled/predictable manner. This generates some sort of "compensation curve" which is then applied to the raw imu stats before being used as data for the flight computer.

Basically, running the IMU Cal at a lower starting temperature seems to mean that this "compensation curve" is obtained more quickly. As to specifically why that is? You'd have to ask an engineer who understands the exact nature of the IMU sensor(s).
Watch the video from Mad RC-- he is an engineer.

Do I have to do a gimbal cal too? Mine is perfect at all times. But last weekend since it's colder here now I experienced a wait during imu warm up. I'd like correct that by doing a cold imu cal, but I don't want to mess with my perfect camera.

I believe if you will check the manual, DJI recommends a gimbal calibration after the IMU calibration. You could not do it and see if the gimbal stayed level. You can always do a gimbal calibration.

Watch the video from Mad RC-- he is an engineer.

He might be an engineer, but he certainly doesn't seem to explain things like one.

Nonetheless, his points are valid. And a cold good quality imu cal is very important for everything to work as precisely as it can. Especially in the P3 where so many systems are interdependent.

Reactions: bobmyers
Nice cold night here- 32f. Put the bird out for a chill and did a nice cold IMU. Another hour or so I'll go out and fly and see how it's doing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers