Wanting Info on how to use Laanc

Reaction score
Hi - I have been flying a DJI Phantom Pro a couple of years in the Dallas area filming swimming pool projects with a 107 and am trying to figure out the best way to access Laanc for authorizations. Looking at some of the different companies they seem to be targeting drone companies. Does anyone have reccomendations as to which company is best for a individual operator and how much is this going to cost? I couldn't find anything about costs on their websites - Airmap & Skyward or any other company that works. Thanks

They are free. You just download the app and follow the steps to get authorization, within the app. I personally use Airmap. As long as you are not in an area with a ceiling of 0' and meet all requirements, you will get authorization immediately. Also, make sure that the airport that is near, is in the LAANC system.

Hi - I have been flying a DJI Phantom Pro a couple of years in the Dallas area filming swimming pool projects with a 107 and am trying to figure out the best way to access Laanc for authorizations. Looking at some of the different companies they seem to be targeting drone companies. Does anyone have reccomendations as to which company is best for a individual operator and how much is this going to cost? I couldn't find anything about costs on their websites - Airmap & Skyward or any other company that works. Thanks
If you'd like to use AirMap, you can find more information on how to get authorization through LAANC here:

[Can AirMap be used with a Crystal Sky monitor?

Plus 1 for Airmap. Very easy to use. Good customer Support too if you have questions.
Not immediate, but they always respond to emails in a timely manner.

What’s a bit more confusing it DJI’s Unlock system. If you are in a controlled Airspace you may also need to get DJI’s Custom Unlock- from a computer, not a mobile device, which then gets loaded onto your phone or tablet when you are logged into your DJI account.
THEN you use the Go app to UPload it to the bird so you can start your motors...

If you do need to do the custom unlock, I pull the FAA’s Authorization I get through AIRMAP, save it as a PDF, and attach that to my DJI’s Custom Unlock application. There’s a place near the end to attach documentation.

Never had it fail since I figured this out.....

Reactions: farleymom
I've been using AIRMAP for over a year and really like it. Authorization from your smartphone is nearly immediate via a text message. Flight planning is excellent. It's free. It's fast and portable. I don't think Skyward works on Android phones yet, only iPhone or desktop. I don't like Skyward as it comes with a lot of baggage including what appears to be wanting to charge for the service. On some forums, you will find almost a cult following of Skyward and those people continually try to discredit AIRMAP, some with threats. Apparently they don't like one of the AIRMAP executives. It's best to try for yourself and see what works for you.

Plus 1 for Airmap. Very easy to use. Good customer Support too if you have questions.
Not immediate, but they always respond to emails in a timely manner.

What’s a bit more confusing it DJI’s Unlock system. If you are in a controlled Airspace you may also need to get DJI’s Custom Unlock- from a computer, not a mobile device, which then gets loaded onto your phone or tablet when you are logged into your DJI account.
THEN you use the Go app to UPload it to the bird so you can start your motors...

If you do need to do the custom unlock, I pull the FAA’s Authorization I get through AIRMAP, save it as a PDF, and attach that to my DJI’s Custom Unlock application. There’s a place near the end to attach documentation.

Never had it fail since I figured this out.....
Thanks - Airmap looks great - So how long does it usually take to get a DJI unlock? Does this all have to be done days before or an hour or 2 before?

Thanks - Airmap looks great - So how long does it usually take to get a DJI unlock? Does this all have to be done days before or an hour or 2 before?
It depends on the area. If you want to fly in an Authorization zone (blue zones), you will get your unlock code within seconds, just like FAA authorization. If you want to fly in Restricted zones (Red zones) then you will need prior authorization. DJI asks 1 hour for unlock, and you must provide FAA authorization first, to fly in these zones.

More info at: Fly Safe – Drone Flying Tips, Policies & Regulations, and More – DJI

Last edited:
The Dallas, Ft. Worth area LAANC is not working due to some conflict with Love Field And DFW airport. They are working on it. I havent been there in a few months so not sure if it is now working.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31