Want to fly Fpv over wooded area with stock P3A

Reaction score
The area distance is about .85 of a mile. Is the stock light bridge gear reliable enough or will I most likely have to mount a search and rescue for it? I am in a small area and have to take it up to 90 feet to clear the trees. Won't have more then 300 ft visual
Please lmk

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Build a route and have it fly autonomous first. Watch the FPV. If you lose it, you know it is coming home on the autonomous route.

If you want to be daring, fly it FPV manually. If you lose FPV, initiate RTH and wait for the buzz to show up.

Either way, search and rescue shouldn't be necessary. I do this regularly with my P2V. Oh, I also fly with a tracker so if I do lose it, I can find it again. I have never had to use it.

I hear the P3A has slightly better range due to the lower lightbridge bandwidth. But not 100% sure on that.

Anyway, You will def not be able to see it to that distance unless you are allergic to kryptonite.

If you have a GPS tracker or other locating device, I would not be too afraid to do it.
I would not do that without a tracking device installed. You never know. Stuff happens.

I have a 75 feet yard that backs 60-70 ft oak trees. I have to ascend nearly 80ft straight up to go on the journey. I did wonder out 1200 ft but turned back. Baby steps I guess however I have a total screw up that I was lucky to survive. It will be posted in the P3 forum shortly

Last edited:
Hey Lawman, before taking off I would make sure your RTH settings take your bird up to at-least 120-130 feet. That way you'll be sure it clears any tall trees just in case you lose signal and it initiates an auto RTH. I believe the default settings for RTH will only take you up or down to 50-60ft and that's definitely not enough to clear some of the trees you mentioned.

Build a route and have it fly autonomous first. Watch the FPV. If you lose it, you know it is coming home on the autonomous route.

If you want to be daring, fly it FPV manually. If you lose FPV, initiate RTH and wait for the buzz to show up.

Either way, search and rescue shouldn't be necessary. I do this regularly with my P2V. Oh, I also fly with a tracker so if I do lose it, I can find it again. I have never had to use it.
You can't build a route with Phantom 3. You have to fly it to the areas to save waypoints. Stupid right?

The area distance is about .85 of a mile. Is the stock light bridge gear reliable enough or will I most likely have to mount a search and rescue for it? I am in a small area and have to take it up to 90 feet to clear the trees. Won't have more then 300 ft visual
Please lmk
The P3 will happily go several miles .. if you have a line of sight between yourself and the P3.
If you fly behind obstacles, you will lose signal and RTH will commence.

The RTH feature is nice but that's how my P2V+ ended up in pieces. I thought I would be cool and show my friend that cool feature. Turned my controller off and it took a nose dive and I couldn't recover before it smashed into the ground at 30-40 mphs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20