wanders in GPS mode, decrease gains?

Reaction score
My first short flights have all ended with soft crashes into the grass so this is obviously going to require serious patience to master.

I'm concerned that the Phantom is not behaving as I expected in GPS mode. It seems to be getting enough satellites but it wanders around, more or less in a circle about ten feet or so in diameter. There was virtually no wind. Although the Naza Assistant says that calibration isn't required, I wonder if this could be related to compass calibration. Or are the GPS and compass functions entirely separate?

About the gains: I know that experienced pilots are increasing them but how about going below the default levels for the easily confused noobie? What values would you suggest for Phantom "training wheels" flight?

As I mentioned in another thread, our meadow is suddenly looking very small and hazardous. The Phantom is quick!

The GPS won't lock your position on a dime but in 10 square feet or so. If your Phantom wanders in circle in GPS mode, try spinning it or fly around a little longer or change the lock in location a few yards away because that works for me. The second battery pack for me will lock in better.

The GAIN works this way:

The Basic GAIN (first row in the GAIN tab of BASIC section in the Assistant) controls Flight attitude which means the higher the gain, the faster your Phantom will go back to level positions.
the Attitude GAIN (second row) control stick response which means the higher the GAIN, the faster and more powerful your stick command will be.

With that in mind, you can manually set the GAIN to your liking. DJI recommend changing 10% at a time.
This means, you have to hook it up to your computer, set it, unhook and test fly and repeat the steps until you come to where you like. But if the weather changes or you add more accessories thus change weight, then you may have to change the GAIN setting again.

Thanks, Tanasit, that is very helpful.

The weather has changed here about every 20 minutes today, and that's no joke. We're in the foothills of the North Cascades, experiencing alternating downpours and sun breaks. I watch for the sun so I can do another test flight, but you have to be quick!

I'll decrease the gains and see what happens.

Remember also that different props react differently with the same GAIN setting.
Carbon fiber ones are very stiff and give quick response.

Mine wonders in a rectangular pattern, when letting go of the sticks. A slow fly it's not as bad, but a hard fast fly, let go of the sticks and does it more. A flick of the stick in the opposite direction seems to fix things, but a fast fly it does go crazy.

It can make the Phantom harder to fly than people think and don't take this drifting into account when letting go of the sticks, as the GPS does not break your forward motion straight away and when it does, does this rectangular pattern.

Yet going through the Naza assist the MUI calibration is fine.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic