Walkera vs DJI?

Reaction score
Do you think DJI will repsond to Walkera by making an octocopter for their next version?

Gotta admit, that Tali500 looks pretty sweet. The only difference between the 2 companies is that DJI has an american presence.
However, 2k for one... ouch

Elwood58 said:
DJI has an Octocopter. Get ready to part with serious cash though. It is a professional grade platform for serious cinematography.

im sorry, I meant a RTH version. The flamewheel is the octopter, right?
You gotta put that together from scratch! ;p

I meant a direct competitor to the tali500

dragonash said:
Elwood58 said:
DJI has an Octocopter. Get ready to part with serious cash though. It is a professional grade platform for serious cinematography.

You mean RTF? Flamewheel f550 is a hex (Tali is a hex too), but there are a lot of kits available that are more ready to fly than their typical "ARF" version. An octo is crazy overkill for the consumer market; I'm not sure why DJI would part with the quad format. Who knows though.

ElGuano said:
dragonash said:
Elwood58 said:

You mean RTF? Flamewheel f550 is a hex (Tali is a hex too), but there are a lot of kits available that are more ready to fly than their typical "ARF" version. An octo is crazy overkill for the consumer market; I'm not sure why DJI would part with the quad format. Who knows though.

LMFAO.
Dude.... I am on so many pain meds right now (had 4 wisdom teeth pulled). I dont know what I'm typing anymore!
Yes, I meant RTF and Hex lol

dragonash said:
LMFAO.
Dude.... I am on so many pain meds right now (had 4 wisdom teeth pulled). I dont know what I'm typing anymore!
Yes, I meant RTF and Hex lol
2K for a Hex is an ouch, but what you did is REALLY an OUCH!

Yeah... DJI would more likely put out a RTF hex way before a RTF octocopter.

An octo is always going to be expensive. Not only is there more hardware, but there's also more complex software, to control flight operations, that's more costly and has more IO and a larger footprint (which means more onboard memory, adding even more cost).

Like ElGuano said... overkill for the consumer/hobbyist market.

If its reputation matches its cool factor, the Tali500 will sell. DJI will either compete or miss out on some market share at the higher end of the spectrum.

As for overkill, there's a great market for it. Corvettes, for example. Porsches and Ferraris. Does one really need a twin turbo? One might argue anything more than a Prius is overkill. But there's an enthusiast market out there and the world is a better place for it.

But DJI already has a number of products "at the higher end of the spectrum". The Spreading Wings series (octocopter) is pretty awesome... and in use by a fair number of professionals.

But what you seem to be talking about is a professional level octocopter (ie - first rate quality) for the consumer/hobbyist market (ie - inexpensive)... and that's just not going to happen. Sure, a twin turbo is cool... but you have to remember that even a Ferrari is at least 5 times as expensive as a Prius.

RichardWendt said:
Walkera like the Android phone, DJI like the iPhone series :)

I would give you credit for that....if DJI were a closed garden.

But DJI allows for many types of modifications and 3rd party stuff. Probably Walkera too.

ElGuano said:
dragonash said:
Elwood58 said:

once you go to 6 motors you can have redundancy for motor loss built in . a single esc or motor failure would still allow the aircraft to flown/controlled if the electronics turned it into a rectangular quad copter for control purposes by dissabling the opposite motor to the one that had the problem. ( i expect opposing props to rotate in opposite directions on a hex? ) would be intereting to see if the tali could be flown ( would compensate ) minus a set of props to simulate the loss of a motor and see if it had enough lift/thrust?? with 4 motors to maintain altitude??

dragonash said:
RichardWendt said:
Walkera like the Android phone, DJI like the iPhone series :)

I would give you credit for that....if DJI were a closed garden.

But DJI allows for many types of modifications and 3rd party stuff. Probably Walkera too.

Well... do you mean the Phantom or the other DJI copters? Because I would hardly say that DJI allows modifications to the Phantom.
There are many third party add-ons you can use, but, at the very least, they're "not supported" by DJI. Much like the iPhone.

Now if you're talking about the Spreading Wings or Flamewheels, then maybe.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik