Walkera Gimbal drains battery in 2 mins

Reaction score
Another newbie but here goes - I have an FC40 and was getting flight times of about 13 minutes with the FC40 camera. I have now fitted a Walkera 3axis gimbal with an SJcam and the flight time has dropped to a ridiculous 3 minutes. Have I done something wrong? It appears that other folk have posted times up to 12 minutes on this forum.

Have you tried removing the new additions to see if your flight time is restored?

You'll need to work incrementally if possible to find the problem.

Thanks for your prompt response. I haven't tried that but it will be the first thing I do when the batteries are recharged tomorrow, however, upon further researching the issue, it appears that the FC40 is not the same as other DJI copters - I thought is was. The flight time for the FC40 is specced at 10 mins compared to 20mins for the Vision 2. The Walkera 3 axis gimbal I have is metal and weighs 8 ounces - well over the payload for the FC40. I have been looking at posts regarding the Walkera 2 axis gimbal made of plastic. I think it is the shear weight dragging down the battery time and the copter!

For what it is worth, I have an FC40, I have the Walkera G-2D and a gorpro hero 4. I used the 9450 props for the first time and it helped my lift.... I ran mine in easy putting around mode and it stayed up for 6:30 before I was done flying it... I wasnt even in failsafe at that point. One thing I did notice... If you flip the bracket mount around backward it pulls the gimbal and gorpro back about 3/4 inch. This made mine a LOT less front heavy. Before I did that I noticed how front heavy and unbalanced it felt. I wonder if your battery is burning up because its having to really overcompensate for the unbalanced weight by running the front rotors really hard.

Hello Tim,
Here's some battery info which may help in the future:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/do-you-break-in-your-lipos-heres-how.37113/

Any chance of letting us know, generally, where you're flying? Denver @ 5,000 feet, or Miami @ 5 feet, makes a big difference. I encourage all members to add some info to their signature line, such as props, battery, mods. It's also helpful if in your profile we can see where you are.

Anyway, sounds like good info so far. I turned my gimbal bracket around as well. When 2 motors are working harder than the other 2, it really limits your capabilities.

13 minutes is **** good time. I am really curious about which battery gave you that flight.

Hello Tim,
Here's some battery info which may help in the future:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/do-you-break-in-your-lipos-heres-how.37113/

Any chance of letting us know, generally, where you're flying? Denver @ 5,000 feet, or Miami @ 5 feet, makes a big difference. I encourage all members to add some info to their signature line, such as props, battery, mods. It's also helpful if in your profile we can see where you are.

Anyway, sounds like good info so far. I turned my gimbal bracket around as well. When 2 motors are working harder than the other 2, it really limits your capabilities.

13 minutes is **** good time. I am really curious about which battery gave you that flight.
Hi
13 minutes came from my standard DJI battery that came with the Phantom. I am at sea level in Scotland. That is a very interesting point about the weight at the front. I'll try it out and thanks for the heads up to that thread on batteries, I am learning fast here!

Nice, I'm looking forward to seeing some video of Scotland.

I've put some other stuff together which may help, click on my signature link.
And you are welcome.

Try the 9 inch vision props,and if you have the prop guards that will decrease your times also. But they do help some with crashes.

If you get P2 (9 inch) props, get the P2 guards as well. The Phantom looks really funny with the props hanging over the guards. o_O

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj