Walkera G-2D Gimbal - what else do I need ?

Reaction score
Hi everyone - I ordered myself a Walkera gimbal to go on my FC40 today. I'm hoping it will take the standard FC40 camera fine as I'm not about to upgrade to a GoPro any time soon, plus I like the good FPV range I get on the wifi camera.

I'm off on holidays next weekend and want to have it fitted and working to bring with me - does anyone have any recommendations or tips for what I will need. I'm concerned there will be a wire or a connection I'll have to order but won't have it in time so just trying to have all bases covered.

Cheers - Damian.

I'm wondering the same thing. Also if you need to solder anything or if it's plug and play.

Hi Damien, I haven't chosen a Gimbal yet, but I'll be ordering one soon. I'll be doing the same as you, using the FC40 camera, due to cost mainly, and while its not perfect, it's quite a good camera, and it's free cos we already have it. I'm glad you say you get a good range with your camera. I only seem to get about 200yds. But then in the South East of England, and every ones cat's got a WiFi hotspot, so it's a busy frequency. However, the fitting of the camera isn't so easy to the Gimbal I've worked out. Someone used a paper clip to engage in the slot on the side I saw in one of the forums. For me, its not a problem, as I'll just design and print a holder come the time. Also in the FC40 branch, someones cracked an easy wayto fit an external ariel to up the WiFi reception. The cable to do it costs £2 or if your in the States about $2, and it's a 5 minute soldering job. You could make a mount to fit the gimbal from plasticard for now, just make sure it's not going to get blown or snapped off till you find another way to fit it.

So i got the gimbal. However, it seems to be missing power cable!

2 questions then:

Shouldn't it have a power to jst connector ?
Does the triple connector cable that has black, red and white and goes into the controller handle power too?

If the triple wire will receive power too then I could cut it and attach to the aux power cables. I have no way to open the quad at the minute unfortunately right now.

D.

horne47789 said:
So i got the gimbal. However, it seems to be missing power cable!

2 questions then:

Shouldn't it have a power to jst connector ?
Does the triple connector cable that has black, red and white and goes into the controller handle power too?

If the triple wire will receive power too then I could cut it and attach to the aux power cables. I have no way to open the quad at the minute unfortunately right now.

D.

it should have it's own short power cable with a jst connection and special connector to plug into the side of the controller box.
You would then need to have either 3s adapter to use the battery directly, or solder the aux cables inside the phantom to another jst connector.

The red/white/black cable will not supply power. It is for pitch control if you want to enable it. It is also too short, since it needs to go into the naza.

You will either have to order a longer cable or make your own.

Yep, got my plastic 2D this weekend too. FC40 camera is causing it to jitter, but I'll try adding a little weight.

Cables aren't for an FC40 so I'll cutoff the plugs and add wire w/heatshrink.

BTW, the FC40 cam weighs 37 grams and the Gopro3 weighs at least 75 grams...a dif of 38 grams!

I am running a Walkera gimbal. The JST connector does not come with the gimbal, but you do not HAVE to have one. The power cable that comes with the unit is different. You could use an adapter wire to power it off of your battery directly from the balance line. In that case, you would need an adapter to go from the 4 pin wire to the battery connector. I went to the provided power wire already inside for a cleaner look.In doing so, I installed a JST on that lead to allow for easy removal. Also, the control lead for the pitch control that is included, is a 3 wire. I disassembled mine and was able to use just 1 wire from it. You might also want to order a set of longer landing legs, or extenders. When installed, the camera touches the ground and landing on a non perfectly flat surface, without a perfect landing, will likely cause bumping. When testing, be sure you have you camera in the mount or it will not initialize correctly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1