Walkera G-2D gimbal settings on phantom 2

Reaction score
Hi,

Recently I mounted a Walkera G-2D gimbal on my phantom 2 (non-vision) in combination with a GoPro Hero 3. The gimbal works fine and reacts promptly when the Phantom is moved around when I have disconnected the pitch control lead from the gimbal to the F2 port of the NAZA. This is different when I connect the lead from the gimbal to the F2 port of the NAZA controller, although I have pitch control now via the remote controller, the gimbal reacts more slowly on the movement of the phantom and when it does react, it overreacts.... i.e. it overcompensates for the movement of the phantom. Has anybody got a clue how I can resolve this? Do I need to change some settings in the Phantom 2 Assistant software?
Kind regards,

Mengels

Hi,
Unfortunately, I've received no reply on my question but did manage to answer it myself...
The solution to my own question is as follows:
You need to redirect the gimbal pitch channel to bypass the NAZA-M. To do this you need a Assan SBD4 4-Channel S.BUS Decoder and Program Card Combo from HobbyKing ($30) and program input channel 5 from the decoder to output channel 1. A "how to" video can be viewed on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D0cCf5 ... vArgOU_kNQ

The next step is to open the Phantom and cut the cables running from X2 to the board and soldering them together with the input wires from the decoder to obtain a parallel connection (see image)
Next is to connect the pitch signal cable from the gimbal itself to the orange cable of ouput channel 1

And presto........it works !!!

mengels-albums-assan-s-bus-aansluiten-op-phantom-picture198427-2014-08-23-16-30-56.jpg

PS. Sorry for spelling and/or grammar errors, for I'm not a native speaker...

Mengels

Had the same problem with cheap eBay gimbal and managed to get it working properly without any hardware installation.
To fix this issue I have downgraded Phantom 2 to 1.08 where you can change gimbal behaviour settings and set
automatic control gain pitch to 0 that's it.
Then upgraded back to 3.06.
Here is the link to 1.08 assistant software containing 1.08 firmware http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/phantom_2/Phantom_2_Installer_v1.08.exe

Thanks z10m,

That's a usefull workaround (and keeps the money in the pocket and keeps the Phantom lighter without the extra hardware...)
Too bad I had not heard of this workaround before....would have saved me some headache...

Anybody have a how to video, or step by step on installing the walkera gimbal on a phantom 2 (non vision)?

Hi , I have a phantom 2 and bought the walkera g-2d gimbal and it won't mount on my phantom at all. On the base of my phantom are 4 screws. On the mount for the gimbal it is a cross shape and doesn't align with the holes on the phantom. I have looked everywhere and can't find answers what am I doing wrong or what do I need to make it fit?

Reactions: Karanba
sorry to dig up an old thread, but I am having the same problem with a walkera gimbal. I have tried to downgrade it to 1.08 but I can't. I tried to plug it in and it said no updates, then I tried to type door then test as username and 125 as password it said that it was in correct. then I tried to do a hard reset and load it with 1.08, and it still didn't work. Is there anything else I can do?

Hi , I have a phantom 2 and bought the walkera g-2d gimbal and it won't mount on my phantom at all. On the base of my phantom are 4 screws. On the mount for the gimbal it is a cross shape and doesn't align with the holes on the phantom. I have looked everywhere and can't find answers what am I doing wrong or what do I need to make it fit?

I'm sure you don't need this anymore, but if you do here you go.
http://www.helidirect.com/xtreme-pr...-after-market-brushless-gimbal-phantom-2.html

I just drilled two small holes 15mm back from the edge of the cutout designed for the 3D zenmuse.
To get the C.O.G correct , I placed P2 on a flat kitchen scale and moved the gimbal & mounted camera back and forth + a piece of sticky 2 sided foam, so the P2 looked balanced and evenly off the surface on all rotor arms.
Then marked the two holes (M4 short scews used, head inside P2 battery compartment.
Attached a pic, the red star screws are what i fitted. The purple arrows are pointing to the existing zenmuse fixing points.
The other two fixing points I used for a second mini nose camera (mounted on a very rough cut piece of nylon!) connected to the internal iosd mini then onto a 200mw micro 16ch transmitter (not shown)
DSC_0005.jpg

Last edited:
DSC_0003.jpg
DSC_0004.jpg
Hi,
Unfortunately, I've received no reply on my question but did manage to answer it myself...
You need to redirect the gimbal pitch channel to bypass the NAZA-M. To do this you need a Assan SBD4 4-Channel S.BUS Decoder and Program Card Combo from HobbyKing ($30) and program input channel 5 from the decoder to output channel 1. A "how to" video can be viewed on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D0cCf5 ... vArgOU_kNQ

The next step is to open the Phantom and cut the cables running from X2 to the board and soldering them together with the input wires from the decoder to obtain a parallel connection (see image)
Next is to connect the pitch signal cable from the gimbal itself to the orange cable of ouput channel 1

mengels-albums-assan-s-bus-aansluiten-op-phantom-picture198427-2014-08-23-16-30-56.jpg

Mengels
Hi, I was very interested to find out that the signal from the antenna board/receiver was an Sbus one, having the same coloured wires as a normal servo control leads threw me as I was trying to figure out all the connections to the orange phantom controller.
It looks like this would be the only option if you have a G2d or other gimbal with its own levelling sensor as the downgrading trick does not work anymore.
I knew it was the controller adding in its own pitch/roll offsets so F2 didnt work as expected, I also thought that X1 was the pitch control.
One question, the other 3 sets of output wires, can they be removed (plugs), or have to be desoldered ?
Do you know if the other lead next to the one you spliced is another SBus output from the receiver board. I would love to create a 'proper' circuit diagram of all the connectors and what they are used for.
Many thanks for an intelligent techie fix to this gimbal problem. In my frustration I actually made up a homebrew gimbal using thin aluminium angle one afternoon and used two digital servos connected directly to F2 pitch and F1 roll.
It worked a treat BUT not as smooth as a proper mount, and there was no picky balancing to do as the servos held their place without all that thrashing about you get on a slight overload.
In case anyone was wondering what the yellow/red/brown lead coming from the iLook camera...
A small hole was drilled in the base of the camera to pass the 'breakout ' lead between the video signal and the internal iLook transmitter, so I can pass it through the IOSD Mini before the video is transmitted.

Last edited:
Hi,

Mengels

Hi Mengels thanks for this Info I think I would have to do this, can you please explain me more dateiled what to do here, please if you can send me pictures of how you finish this setup and how are the connectors pluged, thanks!

Hi everyone I solve this, really easy finally.

On your Phantom 2 assistant click the tilt gain button, then press on your pc keyboard this "CONTROL + TAB" and a hidden menu on gimbal window should appear. Then set automatic gimbal gain pitch to 0 and you're ready to go.

For more information you can write me on WhatsApp my number is +502 4770-9616

Reactions: Duy Pham

On your Phantom 2 assistant click the tilt gain button, then press on your pc keyboard this "CONTROL + TAB" and a hidden menu on gimbal window should appear. Then set automatic gimbal gain pitch to 0 and you're ready to go.

You are a G E N I U S, sir. I will definitely try that. I would love to be able to set how far my G2 gimbal tilts down and up. Right now I have disconnected the gimbal tilt so I have no control over it. It just stays in a fixed position. Hopefully, your solution will solve that.

Reactions: Palmieri
You are a G E N I U S, sir. I will definitely try that. I would love to be able to set how far my G2 gimbal tilts down and up. Right now I have disconnected the gimbal tilt so I have no control over it. It just stays in a fixed position. Hopefully, your solution will solve that.
Ok... made the adjustments so that now I can have tilt control over my Walkera G2 gimbal. IT WORKED!!! Did a short test flight with GoPro attached and now I don't have to worry about my gimbal tilting down past 180 degrees or tilting up so I see the rotors. Palmieri, you get 100 points for the right answer. Great job! and much thanks!

Ok... made the adjustments so that now I can have tilt control over my Walkera G2 gimbal. IT WORKED!!! Did a short test flight with GoPro attached and now I don't have to worry about my gimbal tilting down past 180 degrees or tilting up so I see the rotors. Palmieri, you get 100 points for the right answer. Great job! and much thanks!
Its a pleassure men! :)

Hello,I m using a seperate small battery to power up the walkera gimbal,can this cause problems to naza controller?

Last edited:

Very thanks alot my friends, very good job , and if you put a servo motor on F2 , put frequence at 100Htz, servo no vibration and no heat Finaly me and you have the good solution , yesser

Very thanks alot my friends, very good job , and if you put a servo motor on F2 , put frequence at 100Htz, servo no vibration and no heat Finaly me and you have the good solution , yesser
You are the King Lolll ...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers