Wait or not for the new Phantom II

Reaction score
Hi,
This is my first post. I'm decided to buy the DJI Phantom. I have a GoPro, so don't ned the Vision, and I'm planing to get a Gimbal. The question is: Should I wait for the Phantom II, or buy this model for a better price...
Is there any reliable information about phantom II realese date...
Tanks in advance for any opinion.

viveiroscordeiro said:
Hi,
This is my first post. I'm decided to buy the DJI Phantom. I have a GoPro, so don't ned the Vision, and I'm planing to get a Gimbal. The question is: Should I wait for the Phantom II, or buy this model for a better price...
Is there any reliable information about phantom II realese date...
Tanks in advance for any opinion.

The latest response that I have seen from DJI for release of Phantom 2 Pro is January. Whether or not it would be a better value for you, only you can make that call.

Thanks Dave!
Googling "phantom pro", I could realize that pro version is expected to have the gimbal included, although is exactly what I need, I imagine that in this case the price will excede my budget, as I'm thinking in spending no more than 600€ in the phantom, and perhaps buy an inexpensive gimbal, from China, knowing that it will need some tuning...
As I'm not a pro, the budget is more a concern, than spending some time... Maybe I will look for some second-hand material, or some promotion...

I would advice you to have a little more patience. Wait until january sometime when DJI will release either the info about the new Phantom 2 Pro, or the Phantom 2 Pro itself.

Now, DJI are supposed to release a new gimbal for the "Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera" at the end of december.
And im quite sure that gimbal is meant to go on the new Phantom 2 Pro. So that could indicate that the new Phantom 2 Pro will NOT come with an included gimbal.

Though we will not know until they officially release more info.

You might want the new features on the Phantom 2 Pro, so hang in there! :)

really tough call, as I'm sure it's a tough wait.

The original Phantom might do well for you, since it's cheap,. but everybody is drooling at the flight time of the Vision.
.however the Vision makes you stick with their camera, tx,.etc.

Why they've backtracked and not released the Phantom 2 this month is anybody's guess, it's in a way forcing many to just say "screw it, I'll get the Vision" instead of offering an option that would appeal to GoPro and Phantom1 owners.

as for the Blackmagic Pocket camera,. apparently it weights 355g. toss in a gimbal and you're looking at 550+ grams.
too big for even a Vision I'd say.
What they might want to do is put out a professional Hex or Octo with the DJI props and batteries (dual 5200 perhaps?), now that would be a serious rig!

Tanks everyone!
I'm convenced to be more patience. I don't won't to be disappointed for messing some new features on the Phantom 2 Pro...
Tanks again for the opinions, talk about the phantom helps me to keep occupied... I'm like a 39 year old boy, waiting for his new toy...

I'm waiting to see what the price is gonna be. I can always buy a Phantom if it's too expensive.

Do you think will make any sense to practice in a small and inexpensive drone, before buying the phantom, or they are so different that is pointless to have this additional experience... Sorry for the basic questions.

Can't do any harm. I've had a great time for the past year or so flying a tiny Hubsan X4 around the house before I got a Phantom 2 Vision. It's actually much less stable than a Phantom - it has a gyro, but no other flight aids so you have to fly it all the time. It won't hover by itself for more than a few seconds without you having to correct for drift. I found the Phantom much easier to fly than the Hubsan (and part of that will be confidence gained from knowing how to take-off, land and get yourself out of trouble a bit). It will help you understand how quads work, and if you practice you can start to fly it nose-in, when the controls are all reversed! Can only help if you decide to fly the bigger aircraft in a more sporty fashion, or in full manual mode, later on.

If you do fly micros in the meantime just remember when you get a bigger quad that they have a lot more inertia - they don't stop or turn quite so quickly. Nearly caught me out on my P2V maiden flight! :)

I'm jonesing for my first FPV quadcopter. I was all set on a Phantom/Zenmuse/Hero3+/Fatshark combo, but I started seeing the Phantom 2 pop up on seller's sites while shopping around. Now I'm waiting for the Phantom 2 and whatever else will be announced in early January. If I'm going to drop $1500 or so on a new hobby I want to make sure I'm satisfied with the purchase. I'd kick myself if I got something now and a few weeks later a decent upgrade came out.

I sent my Vision back and got on the pre-order list for the Phantom 2. The Dealer refunded the difference into my PayPal account. Now it's just wait until The 2 shows up.

My reasons: Vision was difficult to connect everytime with Galaxy note3. lost connection often. Camera failed first time out. Serious PITA series of firmware upgrades and trouble shooting with dealer and DJI. Meanwhile Battery faults started appearing and although I did not fly it but once I had no doubt that I would get a battery fault at some point. Pitch axis only on gimbal ... well, why bother. 2 or 3 axis is what's needed. For the 5-10 min the camera did work, didn't see anything special.

I'd just as soon spend $1199 on something that works and I put together myself frankly. I did order the phantom 2 simply for the flight time and the fact it on the 2.4 freq so I can add a generic FPV setup. If I want to make it a photo/video ship I can add gimbal later.

Sorry but I was less than impressed with my experience with this "Hot ticket" item and the sales pitch coming out of Texas led me to believe I was getting something entirely different than what arrived in the mail. No IOS was another issue. At least they should have informed buyers it wasn't installed. I spent 5 minutes trying to figure out what I did wrong when the thing was shipped with one mode only. That only pissed me off more with the camera failure and WiFi problems.

I'll try the Phantom 2 but am still gun shy and will be cautious IF I ever deal with DJI in the future.

So far, DroneFly has made everything right by me and I'm sure the dealers have got to be livid with DJI.

Bottom line ....... The value is just not there with the Phantom Vision IMO.

The vision seems great for someone who has very little experience or doesn't want to tinker. They just want to slap there phone on it and get FPV. The phantom 2 seems like its built for the DIY crowd who just wants more flight time. You pay a premium for the visions "out the box" ability and in mind eyes is not worth it. Especially not if you are already a phantom pilot. Assuming you have a gopro and a gimbal already, the 2 without the gimbal at that price plus the $150 rebate cannot be beat. I feel like the vision is something I would get for my wife who has no flying experience but wants to fly with me. She can get the warm and fuzzy of flying but just not the amazing stable video and quality as a 2 with gimbal/gopro. My only question is what is so great about the "custom zenmuse" on the 2 with gimbal. Is it worth ditching my existing zenmuse or is it the exact same thing is a different color. The way DJI operates (greedy money hungry), it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

rcphoto said:
Dronefly.com just put up the Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal on pre-order for $869. Im very excited for this new release!

http://www.dronefly.com/ProductDetails. ... e=P2Gimbal

Hello I'm new here, I already have a gopro silver 3+ and I am looking at getting the above mentioned deal. It seems like a good package.
But one thing I noticed in the fine print at DroneFly is the fact that in the deal you only get a 6 Channel TX
So what is up with that???? I thought that you need at least a 7 Channel TX in order to control the Zenmuse Gimbal as well?
Is this some kind of cruel joke, to force customers to have to buy another Radio Controller?
Anyone?
Go to the above link and see for yourself. It says it comes with a six channel TX.

ironbinder said:
rcphoto said:
Dronefly.com just put up the Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal on pre-order for $869. Im very excited for this new release!

http://www.dronefly.com/ProductDetails. ... e=P2Gimbal

Hello I'm new here, I already have a gopro silver 3+ and I am looking at getting the above mentioned deal. It seems like a good package.
But one thing I noticed in the fine print at DroneFly is the fact that in the deal you only get a 6 Channel TX
So what is up with that???? I thought that you need at least a 7 Channel TX in order to control the Zenmuse Gimbal as well?
Is this some kind of cruel joke, to force customers to have to buy another Radio Controller?
Anyone?
Go to the above link and see for yourself. It says it comes with a six channel TX.

Do not worry, all p2 comes with a tx from DJI that was a 7th channel on the back to control tilt.
There had always been a 7th channel, but it wasn't in the specs at first because the gimbal wasn't released yet.

macheung said:
ironbinder said:
rcphoto said:
Dronefly.com just put up the Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal on
Do not worry, all p2 comes with a tx from DJI that was a 7th channel on the back to control tilt.
There had always been a 7th channel, but it wasn't in the specs at first because the gimbal wasn't released yet.

That is good to know. Well I have searched all over on multirotor forums, and this is the first mention of this little fact.
So now it is posted. Good. It could confuse some folks. Like it did me :|
thanks for clearing that up macheung :)

The phantom 2 with gimball ships on wednesday from buzzflyer.

Reading the forum after I got the vision has not been very encouraging for me, and eventhough buzzflyer was going to send me the extra battery (I ordered the day before the promotion), I have not opened the package and it is on its way back.

I might get the 2 with gimball, but with gopro camera and fpv upgrade, we're looking at a lot more than I was prepared to spend for the vision.

I think I will wait a little longer.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20