Wait a sec, isn't a smart phone perfect camera for phantom?

Reaction score
It's light weight, amazing camera for its size, great FPS (the newest iphone has 120), great storage size. Can this be done and if not, why isn't it being worked on? I guess the main problem is that it doesn't fit well into gimbal?

Re: Wait a sec, isn't a smart phone perfect camera for phant

Most smart phones are subsidized and costs around $400 to replace. Have a hard landing or even a crash and then you won't even be able to post about how dumb putting a smart phone on your Phantom was.

miskatonic said:
Most smart phones are subsidized and costs around $400 to replace. Have a hard landing or even a crash and then you won't even be able to post about how dumb putting a smart phone on your Phantom was.

What do you mean my GoPro was 450 (that's the price for canadian).

How can you trigger taking a picture with a smart phone attached to a Phantom? The great advantage of the GoPro is that it has an outstanding intervalometer (or time lapse function)- which allows you to set the camera to take a picture every 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30, or 60 seconds. With that, you can launch the Phantom, fly it into a reasonable position, either manually or using a FPV system, and take pictures while you maneuver the camera up and down, and forward and backwards.

I know of no other system that does time lapse photography so well.

FrankB said:
How can you trigger taking a picture with a smart phone attached to a Phantom? The great advantage of the GoPro is that it has an outstanding intervalometer (or time lapse function)- which allows you to set the camera to take a picture every 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30, or 60 seconds. With that, you can launch the Phantom, fly it into a reasonable position, either manually or using a FPV system, and take pictures while you maneuver the camera up and down, and forward and backwards.

I know of no other system that does time lapse photography so well.

But most people are using the phantom for videos not stills. The stills is just a nice bonus.

Also I'm pretty sure you can find an app that does the same with a phone.

But don't you end up with endless amount of unwanted photos to go through, painstaking task of view and delete.
Just record and take a snap shot

sent from a GS4 using tapacrap

The GoPro came with a protective case, with mounting system, so it could handle some amount of abuse.
It has also become the accepted standard, for action cameras. You will not even find mounts for the Contour, or Sony
action cameras, let alone the vast number of smart phones. Basically, a smart phone is just too delicate to be ideal.

I once knew a man who stuffed a Rolls Royce V-16 Merlin aircraft engine in a Rolls Royce Phantom automobile. It wasn't a very good fit! Just sayin' :lol:

If you want a cheaper, lighter version to the gopro just search 1080p spy cameras on ebay or google. Optics equivalent to a smart phone, still,or video mode, up to 1080 p and 120 or greater field of view. They have made great strides in quality and still are half the weight of a gopro, and a quarter the price. You won't be fooling anyone that its a gopro, quality isn't close, but you won't be sad losing it or weighing down your quad. Won't work in a gimbal of course. I actually attach mine behind the gimbal, the fixed part and point it straight down so I always have a vertical view of the shot regardless of the gopro. Its so light there isn't much penalty and the shots can be fun.

Check out a post I placed in the general forum, introducing the iPhantom. I attached an iPhone 4s with tie wraps, right into the landing gear. The video is interestingly shaky, I will post it in an hour or so ( editing with Vegas Pro now ). I will stabilize the first shots, leave the last one unedited for all to see how it feels on a breezy day in this island ( Dominican Republic ).

yalag said:
miskatonic said:

What do you mean my GoPro was 450 (that's the price for canadian).

Buy a cheaper model of GoPro. The SIlver can be found on Ebay for as little as $200 USD. It can take far more abuse than a smart phone plus you can get a warranty through a company called Square Trade that protects cameras against falls. They will replace it.

if there's a flyaway, you can use find my iphone to track it down

This was shot y`day with an iPhone 4s attached to the landing gear, crude and shaky on a breezy day:
[youtube] http://youtu.be/nLs8IvW2Wi4 [/youtube]

yalag said:
It's light weight, amazing camera for its size, great FPS (the newest iphone has 120), great storage size. Can this be done and if not, why isn't it being worked on? I guess the main problem is that it doesn't fit well into gimbal?

I had the same thought. I have a Samsung Galaxy SIII and the HD video is really good. The phone is in an otterbox case, which is very tough. I've had thoughts if using vibration damping and utilizing the otterbox case to mount it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik