VR Box or similar for FPV

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the el cheapo VR boxes that make your phone into a VR headset, for doing Phantom FPV?

Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Cardboard-Virtual-Reality-Headset-Glasses/dp/B00PZCRNH6/

This is obviously going to be a subpar experience to the FPV options we always hear thrown around in UAV/FPV circles (Fat Shark, etc). But does it work? What are the pain points (literally or figuratively, lol)?

Looking for commentary from people who have actually tried it.

Josh

edit: sp

Hi, I have the same question.

Has anyone tried something like this?

One thing I found about the goggles you posted is this:

I think something like Google Cardboard might be better.

Has anyone tried it?

thanks,
Alex

Reactions: bernek
You can also use the Hobbyking FPV goggles. The iPhone fits in place of the screen supplied. You also get different lens with it. It's only $30.

I got one of those, and it works really well. If you wear eyeglasses, take them off and get some reading glasses. I could not see anything with her without my glasses. I got some high magnification reading glasses, and it works like a charm.

Thanks everyone. @BobUnplugged, you bought the VR Box or the Hobbyking googles mentioned by @mvigs?

Can anyone recommend something that will work well will iPhone 6 4.7? I'm leaning toward VR Box or VR Box 2nd Gen but everyone always talks about using it with iPhone 6+, not the 4.7. I want to use it with FPV camera app that supports dual picture VR. Anyone have a iPhone 6 (non-plus)???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i've got a pair of zeiss vr one's (@$100), running litchi on a samsung s4, & it works great.
the headtracker function controls the camera tilt too, super cool!

i've got a pair of zeiss vr one's (@$100), running litchi on a samsung s4, & it works great.
the headtracker function controls the camera tilt too, super cool!
How is the level of immersiveness on the VR one's?? Do you forget you're looking at just a phone or can you see the edge of the screen and pixelation? I liked that one because they make a tray specific for the iPhone 6, but I heard it had issue running Google cardboard apps and anything not in the VR one store. Also where have you seen the VR one @ $100? I see it at $120 usually. Most other options are $10-$50 but if it is truly amazing I may make the leap.

the field of view is really wide, but the pixelation cuts down on the 'immersiveness' a little (not sure if the limiting factor is my phone rez or the output rez). but with that in mind it still is a blast to fly with. i doubt that the zeiss glass in there makes that much of a difference tho because of the lower rez,
so some of the cheaper options might be just as good for way less.....

Everyone bothering just buy them, they are under 20$. I have Reim II and Im surprised so many people are considering to buy 20$ next step thing to their 1300$ toy...

Yah I already got it. I'm going to test it out this morning in my backyard. I've played around with the games and they are pretty fun, but this looks really dorky. You can't really see my back yard from the street but we have one neighbor that I am worried about. If he looks out his window and sees this thing strapped to my head I'll never hear the end of it lol

Reactions: 24pfilms
Yah I already got it. I'm going to test it out this morning in my backyard. I've played around with the games and they are pretty fun, but this looks really dorky. You can't really see my back yard from the street but we have one neighbor that I am worried about. If he looks out his window and sees this thing strapped to my head I'll never hear the end of it lol

Jeff, did you get the VR Box or the Zeiss VR One? I just received the Gear VR (Note 4 version) but I am sending them back. You have to hack it up to work with the P3 controller. I don't mind buying the Zeiss but if the VR Box is pretty good then I don't want to spend an extra $100 for nothing. I bought an Nvidia 8" tablet to run my Litchi on for planned flights. But want something to run my Note4 on for playing with FPV. It make me laugh to think of my neighbor seeing me in a pair of these things :0 Thanks for any feedback.

Hi, I have the same question.

Has anyone tried something like this?

One thing I found about the goggles you posted is this:

I think something like Google Cardboard might be better.

Has anyone tried it?

thanks,
Alex

I did try it and worked quite good :) the screen resolution of the phone is critical (I would recommend above 400 ppi) since the OSD information ca be pixelated and quite annoying. Also the screen size should be 5.5 - 6 inches you don't go cross eyed after flying :D

It worked for me with Parrot AR Drone 2.0 and I had a blast. I've tried it with Litchi on P2V and its also great (for the money).

The glasses VR BOX 1 or 2 in this case can be cheap for 20-30 USD but the phone required to squeeze some quality out of them can be quite expensive.

I looked for high ppi 6 inch tablets but couldnt find any ...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj