Vision2 Plus - First Flight

Reaction score
Hi, finally I gathered the courage today although a bit windy to take my bird out for its maiden flight. Everything went smooth, however, one thing was not clear as to why the camera was not responding to the wheel on the controller. Although during warm up the camera responded to the wheel, however, when the lights became fully green the response was lost. Needless to say that I had somewhere from 10 to 12 locked satellites, full WiFi connectivity signal, etc. Any ideas as to why this is happening, why the camera is not responding?

The following are some points to be clarified:

1) camera not responding to the controller wheel after being ready to fly

2) the WiFi booster did not work more than 1700 ft (FPV Booster then Phantom Booster)

3) the bird requested to calibrate the compass again (did not know how to do it)

4) the functions were all great when the bird hovered before its journey I tested all controllers they worked fine and the bird responded properly to all except the camera wheel.

5) Although using original batteries fully charged supposedly, the battery ran to two leds in about 5 minutes.

Thanks for your reading and responses in advance.

Regards,
Sarie

Sarie said:
why the camera is not responding?
Did you do the following before flying?

- Run the Phantom Assistant application and install all firmware updates
- Calibrate the remote controller via the RC Assistant application
- Set the "Transmitter Version" to "Upgrade Version" in the "Basic" --> "RC" section of the Phantom Assistant application
- Calibrate both sets of sticks in the "Basic" --> "RC" section of the Phantom Assistant application

Sarie said:
the WiFi booster did not work more than 1700 ft (FPV Booster then Phantom Booster)
Many factors can affect your range. The most common is a clear line of sight between you and your Phantom (e.g. no trees in the way). Also, make sure your range extender is always pointing at your Phantom.

Sarie said:
the bird requested to calibrate the compass again (did not know how to do it)
When the bird requests calibration, never take off before calibrating the compass. It could result in an infamous flyaway. See the DJI manual for instructions on how to do this. It involves toggling the S1 switch and rotating your bird.

Sarie said:
Although using original batteries fully charged supposedly, the battery ran to two leds in about 5 minutes.
The wind will definitely decrease your flying time. As will the temperature if it's cold where you're located.

I remember using youtube my 1st time flying to learn how to calibrate the compass. Maybe it will help you as well?

And msingers is right about not taking off without recalibrating. Very Important!

Thank you for your responses. Ok got home done some reading and retesting some of the stuff that went wrong in addition to reviewing the flight videos I had. With regards to the above points I discovered the following:

1) the FPV control software allows me to rotate the camera up and down. Not sure if this should be the only way?

2) open site of vision no obstructions, however, some power switch boards for the area were available in the flight path.

3) I discovered that through the software control station on my android I could have requested for a compass calibration. Yet, I could have done the S1 switch as stated above.

4) was ok apart of what has been clarified.

5) it is not a cold country, however, the wind was a bit strong facing the bird. Yet, it was great test flight. However, during the summer during certain months it can reach high temperatures 45+ degrees celsius and at times more than 100% humidity.

In addition one more thing noticed in the videos no sound was available. Meanwhile, all firmware related items have been done pre-flight, hence all are up to date according to the software.

The videos were a bit choppy not sure is it the bird fighting the wind or me pushing it from time to time during flight will try to post the videos if I can. BTW, if you have any recommendations kindly do so.

Regards,
Sarie

Hi, just added a video of the first flight, if you notice that the picture it is a bit jumpy or slight delay (jerky). Meanwhile, no sound, during the video you may notice a brown looking car with my two children nearby during the test flight. Moreover, where we are standing it is a concrete slab for some underground infrastructure and closeby is an electric switch board. I am not sure all is visible but if you pay close attention you may see parts of it.

Now here is the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HirbBpuQku8

Regards,
Sarie

Hi, I also noticed something interesting I am not sure if this the same for all birds. I connected the bird back into the phantom Assistant Application, recalibrated everything all the key everything was working just fine. Then I disconnected the USB cable and tried the camera wheel on the controller it worked just fine however, after I leave it the camera goes back to its normal position pointing downwards. Then I powered my android and used the FPV software the minute it communicated with the bird the camera came up as was earlier set up to be facing forward, lost the wheel control and gained it on the software on the left hand side with the up and down arrows.

To answer a possible question yes, I calibrated the controls in Basic mode.

Regards,
Sarie

Sarie,
the Phantom 2 Vision + does not record any sound. The only people who get sound are using a GoPro camera, and for the most part, all you hear is motor noise.

Also, the gimbal that moves the camera only goes up/down. There is no way to move the gimbal sideways. But, you just rotate the quad instead.

Thank you doug86, point taken for the sound, in all fairness it sounds better without the noise as it is only noise that needs to be overridden. Meanwhile, does it mean that the software takes over the physical connection of the function of moving the camera up or down? The reason for my question is that this is what is currently happening with me.
Regards,
Sarie

sarie, as Panda just said, you really need to read the manual... most of us that are having success have read it many many times. There is a whole bunch of stuff to understand, and camera tilt and camera functions are all very well covered in the literature.

Just going out and trying stuff out with the Phantom actually in the air will lead to very disappointing results for you. The thing can fly on it's own, and it will if you don't know exactly what is going on and why.
good luck

Your jumpy video will probably be fixed if you uncheck FPV Mode in settings in the app.
Flying out of sight with no experience is strongly advised against.
You were lucky to get your Phantom back.
Keep it where you can see it until you understand how everything works.

Do not launch from steel or concrete objects which have a lot of reinforcing steel.
These tend to screw up the magnetic environment and affect your compass calibration.

This is a great forum, the help and support I received is awesome, thank you guys, your comments were really helpful. I will re-read the manual again and again till I get more informed about all the features.

Hay Sarie,
Have you set the Tx within the RCsw in the basic mode or the advanced/upgrade mode. For the pitch controle of the weal on your Rx, it should be in upgrade/advanced mode.
Regards FA

Hi aartsf,

Thank you for the recommendation it worked fine and you were correct I have done the calibration under the advanced/upgrade mode and the wheel is working fine with the software as well.

Regards,
Sarie

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav