Vision with a 2 axis (H3-2D??)

Reaction score
New member here and I want to apologize in advance if this has been ask (or beaten to death) before. I have not extensively searched the board (yet) but things change so quickly with these Phantoms just asking seemed like a better idea.

Has anyone tried to mount the H3-2D on their vision, with or without attaching the Vision camera directly? I've been researching the purchase of a Phantom 2V or P2 and seems to me the perfect marriage is the Zenumuse gimbal on the Phantom 2 vision using the dji camera. Having the 2 axis gimbal on the Vision only makes sense. Better image quality for the Vision camera. And get all the advantages of the Vision rather than just a Phantom 2 with a GoPro.

Thanks so much!

Here ya go.. this is the answer to your question. Read on.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3762

And here is the answer we are all waiting for. Someone (actually two that I know of) has made a gimbal for the Vision. Its not quite out yet but should be soon I believe.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4856

Look up Dronexpert gimbal on you tube.Its pretty sweet. But its gonna costa a pretty penny.

Im in the same boat. Nothing else matters to me right now except a gimbal. I NEED it.

James

Thanks but I have read all this and watched all the videos. Still, not what I exactly asked.

Let me try again, maybe I didn't phrase it right.

I would like to mount a Zenmuse H3-2D to the place where the Vision has the single axis gimbal. And use the Vision or Go Pro camera..preferably both as I don't see the Vision camera as good enough for professional use. All other functions of the Vision 2 would not change, just the gimbal mount.

We don't know if the control circuitry for the Zenmuse is live in the Vision. There is a port inside marked "Zenmuse" but it would be surprising for DJI to have installed the Zenmuse control hardware if they didn't need to. Unless of course it's baked into the main board anyway?

You have to extend the lead into the back of the Vision camera as it will sit lower with a Zenmuse. Then you'll have to come up with a way to mount it securely whilst not blocking the wifi antennas on either side of the camera unit itself and impacting on range. You'll lose the ability to tilt the Vision camera through the app, though, and there's a query as to whether or not you'd be able to tilt the Zenmuse using the transmitter 7th channel - the dronexpert.nl lot have managed it, but they aren't using a Zenmuse... If you switch to a gopro you'll lose the FPV, telemetry, radar and soon-to-be-released ground station autonomous waypoint flying while using it - the Vision camera is quite a key component in making the package what it is.

To my knowledge no one's done anything with a Zenmuse, so if you fancy a challenge you'll have a lot of interested followers!!

Pull_Up said:
We don't know if the control circuitry for the Zenmuse is live in the Vision. There is a port inside marked "Zenmuse" but it would be surprising for DJI to have installed the Zenmuse control hardware if they didn't need to. Unless of course it's baked into the main board anyway?

You have to extend the lead into the back of the Vision camera as it will sit lower with a Zenmuse. Then you'll have to come up with a way to mount it securely whilst not blocking the wifi antennas on either side of the camera unit itself and impacting on range. You'll lose the ability to tilt the Vision camera through the app, though, and there's a query as to whether or not you'd be able to tilt the Zenmuse using the transmitter 7th channel - the dronexpert.nl lot have managed it, but they aren't using a Zenmuse... If you switch to a gopro you'll lose the FPV, telemetry, radar and soon-to-be-released ground station autonomous waypoint flying while using it - the Vision camera is quite a key component in making the package what it is.

To my knowledge no one's done anything with a Zenmuse, so if you fancy a challenge you'll have a lot of interested followers!!

Thank You Pull_UP for the detailed reply! That's about what I thought - not a simple plug and play idea. So that begets the question of why DJI just didn't release the Vision with a 2 axis gimbal? Maybe a future model- only time will tell.

I think I'll go with a Phantom 2 (non vision) with the Zenmuse, GoPro3 (or 3+) and a FPV and the iOSD. That seems to be the best solution at the moment.

I think the Vision is aimed more at the "out of the box" or "charge and fly" person. Either new to RC or new to photography - so having everything in one package - fpv, telemetry, full remote control of an HD video and stills camera (don't forget you don't get that with the GoPro unless it's a wifi model, and even then only about 50-100ft range), autonomous flying and DNG RAW coming soon, etc. There's always going to be compromises to be made in a complete package that's jack of all trades like that - such as only 1 axis gimbal.

The V1 and V2 models are more aimed at people who are happier doing some assembly, some modding, perhaps some additional wiring, some tweaking, etc. They will get you better video without question but at the expense of extra time and knowledge/skill required to get that best out of the hardware, and with slightly (or in the case of V1, much) shorter flight times.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4