Vision vs Phantom 2 w/ zenmuse vs Phantom v1

Reaction score
I have had several Phantoms (version 1) I really like them in spite of my challenges; some had mechanical issues, one flew away. I recently got a Vision 2 and a new Phantom 2 to add to my stable of Phantoms (now 3). I thought I would share a couple of things I have noticed with the gang on Phantom Pilots who have helped me enormously!

The good - Vision
1) FPV and iPhone integration is excellent works right out of the box.
2) Absolutely great sustained FPV at 300+ Meters (that's right 900 ft away.. ) surprisingly good.
3) Flew as far away (Distance) as my Phantom 2!
4) I felt more confident flying it further (higher + Further away) than ANY phantom I have ever owned.

The Bad - Vision
1) No way in hell am I going to see 20 mins of flight time. More like 13 mins on a GOOD day. It is still 2x Phantom v1 w/ gimbal and camera.
2) No two axis Gimbal. You will miss this, no joke. The second axes makes the video pretty crappy compared to ANY two axis gimbal. Wow DJI, you should have done better here. If I could, I'd rip that out and swap with a Zenmuse and Hero3+
3) The Gimbal will not look straight down. What the hell? it tilts, but is about 30 degrees from completely pointing down.

Summary: Its a nice piece of work. If you want total out of box FPV, this is it.

The Good - Phantom 2
1) More Agile than the Vision - 1.3X turns swifter and with less chugging. 1.8X better than Phantom v1
2) Further distance than my Phantom v1 - Flying both to max distance V1 went into come home mode sooner than V2. not a lot 30 Meters?
3) Built in Zenmuse and flight system connections.
4) Zenmuse Gimbal for 200 bucks? Hell yes! I have a Hummer on my Phantom v1 love it too - though not as nice as a Zenmuse. You'll recall when the Zenmuse came out they were more expensive than the Phantom!

The Bad - Phantom 2
1) I wish It gave me the same FPV options as the vision, just with my Hero3+ versus that crappy 1 axis camera.
2) I still haven't seen 20 mins of flight time. Best yet was 16 mins. Now, I suspect if I take the zenmuse off and fly without anything I may make it to 20 mins.

Summary Phantom 2: I can see doing things with this I just can't do with a vision. It is a HUGE improvement over the version 1. If you want to build your own FPV, this would be the platform to do it with.

Thoughts;
1) At about 250 meters to 300 away from you - you are going to have a very tough time even seeing your phantom AT ALL. So while it may see really important to be further distances, that is only if you can see it or can FPV it reliably that far away.
2) I found my self frequently getting lost FPV'ing since I didn't always know the ground terrain. flight tests should be in very large open fields (that is what I did to see how far I can fly and should it fail, all I have to do is walk after it.

3) The best Phantom evidently is some mix of V2 + Vision. Where you get the telemetery and the IPhone integration of the vision with the flight hardware and gimbal from Phantom v2.

4) Plan to test putting the NEW phantom V2 props on my V1 Phantom and see if I get more sustained flight time or performance. I'll test and let you know... :roll: :roll:

I attempted to hook up the Ground Station, tried to get it to work but the BTU stayed RED and wouldn't go green to pair. Sadly sending that back for a hardware swap. If I could give DJI a bit of advice it would be to do a LOT better quality control on their products. Phantom version 1 had soo many mechanical issues! 50/50 chance electronics issues. They are good about return and swap, its just the point; if QA is done right you have far fewer returns.

the ground station requires a firmware update that we have not gotten yet. Nothing wrong with your gear, the problem is software, not hardware. Only solution is to wait. Should have the update in January.

Why your phantom vision did flight time only 13 min? But my phantom vision fly 20+ min every flight although i control aggressive flight. :?:

bellumgessi said:
I'm not sure why my Vision only lasts 16 mins.. Anyone else get 20+ mins on their Vision????

I end most flights at 20 to 21 minutes with between 25% and 30% battery remaining. I tested maximum flight time once and landed at with 5% battery remaining after over 28 minutes. Of course flight times will vary. Windy conditions will use more battery and when I'm practicing my flying skills (pushing the performance of the PV) I can kill the battery in about 20 minutes.

I just received my Phantom Vision for Christmas! Yeah!
Just to comment on flight time, I am getting 22min when the 30% alarm goes off and I have flown it at least 2 more minutes, and the battery still shows 24-25% each and every time.

I've got about 10 flights on it so far with 0 issues, except the still pics look a little blurry on the right side of the screen, I may have an issue there.

Something sounds wrong with your flight time, I am simply amazed at the great flight time and I am really enjoying this Quad!
Thanks

bellumgessi said:
I attempted to hook up the Ground Station, tried to get it to work but the BTU stayed RED and wouldn't go green to pair. .. If I could give DJI a bit of advice it would be to do a LOT better quality control on their products.

Thanks for your comprehensive reviews. And, you just helped me decide that, after owning my Phantom 1, the new Phantoms are not enough better to justify buying one NOW. Later.....maybe.

bellumgessi said:
I'm not sure why my Vision only lasts 16 mins.. Anyone else get 20+ mins on their Vision????

21-22 minutes and landing around 17%... Approx same with all 3 batteries... Got 28 minutes with 4% left once... Didn't push it far again...

Just thought I would send a quick update having flown my vision and now my fully fpv phantom2 for a while. Love them both and starting to realize maybe there is 2 solutions here: one for travel and one for cinema. Ok so maybe that is obvious to many of you.. Not so much for me. :D

I travel a lot. I typically take my vision. It's easier to pack and fast to get going. When I want to do movies and capture moments.. It's my phantom 2. When I travel I'm wanting something quick and fun. I'm also moving to a new city in a few months and so this is a fantastic tool for house hunting... Imagine being able to look at the house your interested in and also get a feel for the neighborhood .. Which you can bring home and share with the kids and spouse as you try to find the right house for you..

When I sell my house.. Phantom2 cinema quality video will be tagged to it so a perspective buyer gets to see the house from a completely different angle. And since I live near water they can see that too. For real estate, quads are going to be a huge help.

B

Hey Bellum!

Just a quick question - does the P2V have the Zenmuse connections too? It sounds like DJI isn't going to be fixing my bricked camera any time soon and I am thinking up buying a zenmuse to replace the stupid FC200. I need this thing working.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj