Vision Tested to 11,000ft, but how much higher can it go

Reaction score
Greetings:

I have been looking to find out at what elevation above sea level a Phantom 2 Vision can Fly. This morning (11-23-13) I took my Vision up to the top of Powder Pass here in Wyoming USA. The temperature was 15deg F (-9.4C). The top of the pass is 10,000ft elevation (3048m) and I flew the vision more than 1000ft above its launch elevation to 11,000+ft (3353m). The Phantom Vision still climbed quickly and responded well at this elevation, but I know there is a limit to all good things, and on a warmer day my Vision may not have performed as well as it did today at the elevation I flew it. If anyone has any info on the elevation ceiling of the Vision, or if you have flown your Vision higher than 11,000ft I would like to know about your experience.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQY3lC3CFfs[/youtube]

Attachments

• AieralPanoPowderPass11-23-13ThumnNail.jpg
    AieralPanoPowderPass11-23-13ThumnNail.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 3,931
  • PowderPass11-23-13ThumbNail.jpg
    PowderPass11-23-13ThumbNail.jpg
    435 KB · Views: 3,894
  • BigHornPanoAerialIphoneSmall.jpg
    BigHornPanoAerialIphoneSmall.jpg
    564.4 KB · Views: 3,462
Brien said:
Wow, that's awesome.

Looks like a page out of National Geographic !!! Nice...

-slinger

Awesome doesn't begin to say it... Congrats on the images. They are, for lack of a better word...awesome. :lol:

PF

That's very rad!! Too bad youtube took your music! :(

I plan on going up into garabaldi park and doing some high alpine with mine. Gotta check with the Park Officers first, but i think it will be fine. I do lots of alpine hiking and climbing, we could base camp so i could potentially bring it. You could get some incredible climbing footy! I gotta design a sweet pack carrying system for the hike in.

I can't get up to anywhere near 3300m where I live, that was a great video, i hope more are coming!

Chuggie,

I'd like to know the phantom 2's ceiling almost as bad as you. This is just an educated guess but somewhere around 20,000ft. but next summer you might find it's performance limit on a hot & humid afternoon, maybe op top of Big Horn...? :ugeek:
I remember about 10 years ago, we had a Russian fighter jet that stopped in Little Rock for fuel & tried to take off (421ft. ASL) with conditions over 100°F/80% rel. humidity, needless to say he never rotated & just had a garage sale off the end of the runway. It didn't kill him but the jet was a complete loss. The point is heat will bring down an aircraft's service ceiling but the humidity can be even more detriment in creating lift than anything else.
So until then, I suppose we're gonna be stuck looking at those panoramics you keep taking... :cry: life's just not fair! But keep those pictures coming :)

Steve

whitewatersalvo said:
That's very rad!! Too bad youtube took your music! :(

I plan on going up into garabaldi park and doing some high alpine with mine. Gotta check with the Park Officers first, but i think it will be fine. I do lots of alpine hiking and climbing, we could base camp so i could potentially bring it. You could get some incredible climbing footy! I gotta design a sweet pack carrying system for the hike in.

I can't get up to anywhere near 3300m where I live, that was a great video, i hope more are coming!

Sounds like a great trip you have planned. I look forward to seeing your pictures Garabaldi park.

Wormwood said:
Chuggie,

I'd like to know the phantom 2's ceiling almost as bad as you. This is just an educated guess but somewhere around 20,000ft. but next summer you might find it's performance limit on a hot & humid afternoon, maybe op top of Big Horn...? :ugeek:
I remember about 10 years ago, we had a Russian fighter jet that stopped in Little Rock for fuel & tried to take off (421ft. ASL) with conditions over 100°F/80% rel. humidity, needless to say he never rotated & just had a garage sale off the end of the runway. It didn't kill him but the jet was a complete loss. The point is heat will bring down an aircraft's service ceiling but the humidity can be even more detriment in creating lift than anything else.
So until then, I suppose we're gonna be stuck looking at those panoramics you keep taking... :cry: life's just not fair! But keep those pictures coming :)

Steve

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the estimate. 20,000ft, I guess I will have to leave the vision behind when I go climb Mt Chimborazo in Ecuador. I know about the heat elevation effect and realize the Phantom will not perform as well when it is hot. Fortunately for me, the Big Horn Range stays pretty cool until August, then it cools back again off in September. Many years ago I thought about buying a Czechoslovakian Mig, sounds like I did well passing that one up.

Here is one more Panorama from the Big Horns, but shot at a lower elevation a day before the one posted above. I have been having an awesome first week with my Phantom Vision...

Attachments

• BigHornPanoAerialIphoneSmall.jpg
    BigHornPanoAerialIphoneSmall.jpg
    564.4 KB · Views: 868
What about a chilly thick fog? Would that effect the rotational lift? I've been seeing videos and pictures of pilots rising above the fog to take a peak and some pictures. Is this safe? I had the chance to do it today but I chickened out.

Jeff

MrFlats said:
What about a chilly thick fog? Would that effect the rotational lift? I've been seeing videos and pictures of pilots rising above the fog to take a peak and some pictures. Is this safe? I had the chance to do it today but I chickened out.

It seems backwards, but humid air is less dense than dry air. So, I would expect it to have an adverse effect on the 'copter's performance.

Is it safe? I don't think flying in thick fog is a very good idea if you can't see the aircraft or things it might hit in the fog.

-- Roger

MrFlats said:

Jeff

The thing I would worry about in a chilly thick fog is ice forming on the props. If that happens you could crash. Above 39deg F it should not be a problem though.

MrFlats said:

Jeff

Hey Jeff,
Just curious what part of western Colorado are you in. I am a graduate of Western Colorado State in Gunnison.

Chuggie

PhantomFan said:
Awesome doesn't begin to say it... Congrats on the images. They are, for lack of a better word...awesome. :lol:

PF

Thank You very Much, I added one more shot from the Big Horn Mountains for you.

****...I need to visit your part of the country.

PF

Send me a PM with all the info. I'm there in the spring - or when the weather hits 60 degrees F or at such time you think would be best to visit. I'm serious!! Send me the info.

PF

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl