Vision Electronics versus FC40 Electronics

Reaction score
Is there any difference in the electronics installed in the Phantom Vision versus what is installed in the FC40, both being 5.8?

More specifically, I am trying to find out if the model, features, version number, capabilities of the Naza-M, Tx, PMU, etc., varies between models of Phantom. If the answer is that there are no differences, I would consider using an FC40 with a gimbal and a GoPro with the Wi-Fi enabled. This could be a better alternative than a Phantom 2, where you cannot use the Wi-Fi capabilities of the GoPro due to both using the same frequency. However, I would want to make sure there are no other differences between models, other than what is listed under features of each Phantom. Thanks.

rmklaw said:
Is there any difference in the electronics installed in the Phantom Vision versus what is installed in the FC40, both being 5.8?

More specifically, I am trying to find out if the model, features, version number, capabilities of the Naza-M, Tx, PMU, etc., varies between models of Phantom. If the answer is that there are no differences, I would consider using an FC40 with a gimbal and a GoPro with the Wi-Fi enabled. This could be a better alternative than a Phantom 2, where you cannot use the Wi-Fi capabilities of the GoPro due to both using the same frequency. However, I would want to make sure there are no other differences between models, other than what is listed under features of each Phantom. Thanks.

Very good question. I'd be interested to know also.

Doesn't the gopro hero lag when viewed through its wifi? I remember someone saying it lags too much for FPV use?
There's also the issue of range and potential security issue when you use a generic wifi repeater.

LeoS said:
Doesn't the gopro hero lag when viewed through its wifi? I remember someone saying it lags too much for FPV use?
There's also the issue of range and potential security issue when you use a generic wifi repeater.

Sorry, the question is about comparison of the factory electronics between the various versions of Phantom.

LeoS said:

If you use Gopro with wifi live view, then yes, it lags too much how you say.
When you connect an antenna to the Gopro you dont have a lag on your monitor or goggles because you only use it for live view and the recording will be on the Gopro sd card. So you are able to have osd (on screen display) on the monitor if you like but you record without osd on the Gopro sd card.

Drone7 said:
LeoS said:

When you connect an antenna to the Gopro you dont have a lag on your monitor or goggles because you only use it for live view and the recording will be on the Gopro sd card. So you are able to have osd (on screen display) on the monitor if you like but you record without osd on the Gopro sd card.

Right on. Thanks for the info..

So how does that figure into this setup?
Control at 5.8ghz
Gopro wifi app (I assume to control shutter and settings) at 2.4ghz
Gopro live view on what freq?

If he also use gopro live view over wifi (2.4ghz) for FPV, then it goes back to my 2 concerns in previous post...
1. Lag
2. Wifi extender issues

Ps: I'm also considering getting a second phantom setup for better image quality and longer range than my phantom vision. At one time also considered similar setup as OP.

LeoS said:
Drone7 said:
LeoS said:

Right on. Thanks for the info..

So how does that figure into this setup?
Control at 5.8ghz
Gopro wifi app (I assume to control shutter and settings) at 2.4ghz
Gopro live view on what freq?

If he also use gopro live view over wifi (2.4ghz) for FPV, then it goes back to my 2 concerns in previous post...
1. Lag
2. Wifi extender issues

Ps: I'm also considering getting a second phantom setup for better image quality and longer range than my phantom vision. At one time also considered similar setup as OP.

2,4ghz is much better for the flightcontroller
1,2 Ghz is much better for fpv but not sure if it is allowed in Europe and i think thats why dji choose for 5.8 for flightcontroller and 2.4 for the fpv with CE FFC?

I don´t know if the Gopro wifi app is at 2.4 GHZ but i think it sends full quality and maybe thats why there is a lag. Gopro doesnt go further then 80 meter if i remember well so that is not enough.

If you want longer range, then you need other stuff and i dont talk about tp things. You can use a normal antenna (or cloverleaf) with a tx/rx for the gopro via the av cable. The tx has a ventilator in it to cool it and they are small and it is good for 5.8Ghz fpv and you can fly many miles with it. Just check the law for the maximum power (dbi, not the mw) to be sure you can use it.

I have this stuff on my hexacopter but i keep my PV plug and play because it is safer. If you want longer range, then don´t use a Phantom. Dji has plenty other solutions for this.

Drone7 said:
2,4ghz is much better for the flightcontroller
1,2 Ghz is much better for fpv but not sure if it is allowed in Europe and i think thats why dji choose for 5.8 for flightcontroller and 2.4 for the fpv with CE FFC?

Yeah, but I think there's a huge potential by using 2.4ghz (ip) for the info and digital fpv channel. You can clump a LOT of info on it (and easy to develop on), whereas control signal is relatively simple (albeit critical) and it's features are pretty stable over the years.

This area will especially blossom when they start to make use of its bi-directional capability, ie: follow-me mode and the likes. So I wouldn't be surprised if DJI is betting the future on making use of ip channel to develop new features and app, while staying within its limitations (mainly range).

I don´t know if the Gopro wifi app is at 2.4 GHZ but i think it sends full quality and maybe thats why there is a lag. Gopro doesnt go further then 80 meter if i remember well so that is not enough.[\quote]

Oh no wonder.. But 80m is really impressive without a repeater and considering they send more data with full quality stream.

If you want longer range, then you need other stuff and i dont talk about tp things. You can use a normal antenna (or cloverleaf) with a tx/rx for the gopro via the av cable. The tx has a ventilator in it to cool it and they are small and it is good for 5.8Ghz fpv and you can fly many miles with it. Just check the law for the maximum power (dbi, not the mw) to be sure you can use it.

I have this stuff on my hexacopter but i keep my PV plug and play because it is safer. If you want longer range, then don´t use a Phantom. Dji has plenty other solutions for this.

Noted :)

I've also been considering getting a p2 + zenmuse + hero 3+ + futaba/dragonlink + 5.8ghz fpv for longer range (but still fairly portable for travelling and hiking), but I'm still unsure of the zero-camera control (during flight) after experiencing PV. More so after seeing the details on 14megapixel photos vs 1080p videos.

Sooo I'm still looking for ways to have the cake and eat it too :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31