Vision + and Video Quality

Reaction score
One of the things I have noticed is that the video quality produced with my Phantom 2 Vision + is that it is lacking in overall image quality compared the GoPro. I am shooting in 1080P. It seems the Vision+ camera has quite a bit more aliasing and artifacts as well as reduced color information when compared to my GoPro Black Edition.

I am curious as to whether others in the group have noticed similar differences?

This seems not to be an issue of resolution as the camera is 14MP enough to resolve very good footage. I would love to see DJI improve the compression codec (higher bit-rate, less compression) to provide for an improvement with the Vision+ video image quality.

Improving the codec would be great - it is very compressed now and pales in comparison to the results you can get shooting RAW stills. If only the video quality were close to that good...

I agree 110 percent, but this also is the company slapping a 4gig class 4 with the drone:( maybe a firmware could lower the compression?

When I did my review, I said the Vision+ camera is about on par with a GoPro Hero 2. It certainly isn't as good as a Hero 3.

Taking a RAW photo and saving it takes like 5 seconds if I remember right.

That is around 32 Mbytes = 256 Mbit, or 50 Mbit/s. Even if it takes 10 secs, it is still 25 Mbit/s. So the hardware do support higher bitrates. Higher bitrates are normally faster to process. It could be an option to set thru the app. the usual Class 4, or some 15-25 Mbit/s.

Here is the media info for two video recordings of identical lengths of time. One from GoPro 3+ Black Edition and the other the Phantom 2 Vision +. Of particular interest is the bit rate comparison.

GoPro bit rate of 20.2Mbps vs 12.0Mbps for the Vision + camera.

This is a substantial difference. The resulting file sizes are 555MB for the GoPro vs 329MB for the Vision+.

Attachments

• GoPro vs Vision + Bit Rates.jpg
    GoPro vs Vision + Bit Rates.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 476
shankel128 said:
Here is the media info for two video recordings of identical lengths of time. One from GoPro 3+ Black Edition and the other the Phantom 2 Vision +. Of particular interest is the bit rate comparison.

GoPro bit rate of 20.2Mbps vs 12.0Mbps for the Vision + camera.

This is a substantial difference. The resulting file sizes are 555MB for the GoPro vs 329MB for the Vision+.

...and if you capture using Protune the GoPro bit rate is ~45Mbps

That's great info, my question is would a future update be capable of improving the bit rate or is the hardware just not capable?

Dave

Actually, a higher bit rate, means less compression which typically means less processing power required on the part of the hardware. The speed of the storage card and any bandwidth restrictions writing to the micro SD card would be another consideration. Any Class 10 SD card however should be able to handle the 20.2 Mbps data rate.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik