Vision 2 newbie seeking advice

Reaction score
Hi All.

Just unboxed my new Phantom 2 with zen muse H3-3D. Im pretty excited to get it in the sky, but want to make sure i've taken all the precautions. I've looked at some first flight videos so I know some of the basics but I am a total newbie but wanted to see if there was any other advice to be offered.

For my first flight, I will take it to a large open are free of any known interference. I will likely just practice up/down and left right, and keep the quad high enough to avoid hitting anything, and in line of sight.

Any other tips appreciated.

make sure you understand the controls and blink codes... wait for home-lock before taking off in case failsafe / return home is needed for some reason. When you're ready to take off... DO NOT do so "gently", it'll probably tip over and break a prop. Give it full throttle for a few seconds until it lifts into the air and then throttle back to a hover and begin practicing all the movements. spend plenty of time getting a feel for how it moves. keeping it oriented facing "away" from you is easiest, since when it's facing you all the controls are reversed.

I would recommend against installing the gimbal/gopro until you get some flight time... most people crash a few times when they're learning (I certainly did) and the P2 is pretty sturdy but the gimbal is not. so don't risk the sensitive equipment at first.

-do NOT use the same "both sticks in and down" procedure to STOP the propellers, it'll tip over. hold the throttle (left stick by default) down for 4-5 seconds and the propellers will stop. this does not work in flight, only when it senses it has stopped descending.
-catching is actually easier than landing. unless you land with NO lateral movement you again risk a tipover. imo there is a perfect catch at the beginning of this video. come in slightly above head height with normal orientation (Phantom facing away from you), use the lateral stick to bring it back towards you, reach out and up and grab a leg as you then hold throttle down as described above. a lanyard for the controller makes this easier.

Download the "Pilot Training Guide" from DJI's web site, and work through the exercises in it, it's time well spent.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj