Vision 2+ Motors beep but no lights or initialisation

Reaction score
Have just got my bird back from repair, replacing two motors, an ESC and the GPS.

Once it initialised, when I went to start the motors with the RC I got no response from the bird. I tried a few other joystick configurations (thinking I'd forgotten the right start-up procedure) and then all the LEDs stopped flashing and I got beep beep beep continuously. It's coming from all four motors and they're initially in sync sounding like one beep, but after a while, you can hear separate beeps from each motor.

Now that's all it does when power is applied (after a brief yellow flash from the LEDs). The gimbal does not actuate and the PC does not recognise the bird when I plug it into a USB port.

I've tried pressing the link button - nothing.

I've taken the top off and had a good look for anything loose or broken - all looks good.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Last edited:
Sounds like a firmware problem!
You might need to HARD RESET IT, and reinstall firmware!

To hard reset
( you'll need a jumper wire ) like a servo wire or something like this
1845293F-AB62-457D-9C37-4E80963D3A25_zpsryzzgo7w.jpg

Next you need to open phantom, find the naza flight controller
We need " F1, and F2 " ports:
33A7F0F9-F0E1-4E17-9CDA-11F984DA2424_zps2iaszdot.jpg

BOTTOM PINS ONLY ( bottom pin F1, and bottom pin F2 )
468015AA-664E-476A-8EA8-39B5879C6AA2_zpslis7jlxe.jpg

Hook jumper to the bottom pins like this:
4FC13932-14B8-4118-988E-F3AC1AD380CF_zpsdwypozic.jpg

Now start PC assistant, plug cable from bird to PC, turn on phantom, go to upgrade page, should show firmware as 0.00.00 or no firmware at all, search for upgrade, then download and install to your bird!
Once done, " upgrade successful "
Turn OFF bird, UNPLUG THE JUMPER WIRE FROM F1 to F2!
Now turn bird back on, you should have firmware 3.14, but you'll need to do an advanced IMU calibration, and a fresh compass calibration! Put bird back together go fly!

Hope this helps!

J Dot

Thanks Jerry - from my browsing around here and Youtube I was heading to the same conclusion but a little unsure of the procedure. Your notes are super clear - thanks.

I've just just rung the repair place and suggested the idea and they're going to get back to me. I'll keep you updated.

Repair shop said "Give it a go". I went down to a local PC repair place and they gave me a jumper lead.

Will give this a go tomorrow and let you know.

Cheers!

Darn - absolutely no difference!

Jumpered pins - connected USB - Assistant going - same symptoms. Quick flash from yellow LEDS then beep beep from all motors - nothing from the the LEDs.

Clearly power's working - any other ideas please?

Can you open phantom,
Take some closeup pics of your naza and wires going to it, as well as connections from esc to mainboard, also of each esc I'll need to see what is going on, maybe we overlooked something?

Also where are you turning it on at?
I noticed on my p2v if it is close to my laptop or stereo, it has a strange startup but when I change location back to normal, even had 1 weird light show while on my Teperpedic bed? Lifted it up normal, put on bed red lights, lift it up normal again? Never did figure that out, now I built an all wood stand when I boot up indoors, or hook to PC, to do IMU calibration, works great, no interferance!

Lastly
Remove your GPS, see if the ceramic antenna is cracked? Just deleting normal possibilities! before we dig deeper!

J Dot

Can you open phantom,
Take some closeup pics of your naza and wires going to it, as well as connections from esc to mainboard, also of each esc I'll need to see what is going on, maybe we overlooked something?

Also where are you turning it on at?
I noticed on my p2v if it is close to my laptop or stereo, it has a strange startup but when I change location back to normal, even had 1 weird light show while on my Teperpedic bed? Lifted it up normal, put on bed red lights, lift it up normal again? Never did figure that out, now I built an all wood stand when I boot up indoors, or hook to PC, to do IMU calibration, works great, no interferance!

Lastly
Remove your GPS, see if the ceramic antenna is cracked? Just deleting normal possibilities! before we dig deeper!

J Dot

Thanks so much for your help Jerry. I have found something that doesn't look right though I'm not sure if it is the sole reason for the problem.
gps.JPG

The ribbon from the GPS is charred and some copper exposed at the board end. There are also burn marks on the glue-on shielding. So I suspect those wires from the GPS may be shorting.

However I get the same symptoms when I try to start the Phantom with the GPS disconnected so I'm not sure if this is the (only) issue.

Is it possible to /has anyone tried to initialise their PV2+ with the GPS disconnected? Would doing that result in the symptoms I'm getting?

I'll take the other photo's you've suggested and upload them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1