Vision 2+ Batteries

Reaction score
Is it true that after so many days of inactivity that my Vision 2+ batteries will self discharge? I often do not fly this quad on a consistent basis, how long to recharge from a discharged state. Any help appreciated.

Normally after 10 days the battery will self discharge to around 50 %. That takes about two days to discharge. To charge the battery from around a 20% mark takes approximately 2 hours so from 50% it takes from 40 minutes to an hour depending on the battery level and temperature state.

Should I just leave them on the charger the all the time then? im sorry to say i dont plan that fair ahead and sometimes just get urge to get out and fly. Perhaps i need to plan better?

No do not leave a lipo battery on the charger all the time. Not good for the battery and besides that's dangerous. Plan a head. If you need to, charge up one and have it ready. If you go out to fly and know your going to fly for a while start the second one charging and take your time and enjoy.
Myself I normally fly in the evening so the sun is not so harsh and I get the best lighting or in the early morning. An hour or two before I fly if the weather look right I throw a battery or two on the charger. Then when I go out I'm ready for a couple or three flights. I let my copter rest a little between flights to let the motors and electronics cool. Not totally necessary but gives it a little longer life. Give me time to plan my flight and my shots too.

How do you discharge your batteries to the 8% mark. I get to maybe 14% and then my copter stops spinning, at least when I am at idle. Should it still fly or rev up below the 14% mark? I feel my batteries may be the problem of my P2V+ V2.0 remote doing any autodescend at the 50 to 60% battery level. I only regain control near the surface if it started its descent from above 200 ft. Even then my vertical up is a 1/4 of what is it at the start of the flight. Horizontal control is near normal.

Discharge your battery to 8% mark or until it shut off. If it shuts of at 14 % and you feal the need to go to 8% then DJI says you can turn on the battery and lower up the quad and let it sit to discharge to 8% but I would not do that. It energizes the electronics and can heat up the wifi and GPS modules as well as the main board and the Naza module. They are intend to be cooled by air flow and movement. Sitting still with no props to awful long is not good. Page 10 of manual says ok to turn on without motors to reduce wear. To me the heat is more of an issue than the wear. I've heard of wifi modules overheating and burning out. Just my opinion.

I need some comments: I'm not going to fly now for many months. I'm putting the phantom itself in storage where it might get down to -35 but I'm not going to use it. The batteries I will keep with me at home at room temperature along with the Wi-Fi extender and the transmitter because they have batteries in them. Is it going to be OK for the Wi-Fi extender and transmitter batteries to not be used or charged for say six months? Do they have to be discharged, fully charged or any other special needs? I presume that the phantom flight batteries can just be left alone and not do anything with them for the six months except keep them at room temperature.

My understanding is that a good place to keep your batteries for storage is around 40-50% charge. That's true for lipos and li-ions. But you can google this to be sure. :)

I really wouldn't worry about the extender and transmitter. I've had mine sit that long.
The flight batteries do automatically self discharge.

From what I have read it is only the new batteries for the p3/Inspire that automatically discharge. Not the p2 batteries

From what I have read it is only the new batteries for the p3/Inspire that automatically discharge. Not the p2 batteries

That's wrong. It clearly says that the p2 batteries self discharge in the documentation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If what I have read and I am wrong, I am super happy because I have had really bad weather here lately and was worried about my batteries being charged and ready to go for about a week. I know I shouldn't keep them charged but I am keen to try out all of my new mods.

It takes quite awhile to discharge. If you turn them on to check the whole cycle starts over. I think it's about 10 days. I never worry about it , a month sitting full charge is not a big deal.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic