Vimeo vs Youtube

Reaction score
For those of you who pay for Vimeo, at what point did you decide that the price to use vimeo was worth paying for it instead of just using youtube for free?
If you use youtube, why don't you use vimeo? Is it simply not worth the cost to you?

Just looking for some pro's and cons for both sites. I currently use youtube for most everything, but have considered making the jump to vimeo.

I use Youtube for quick bs things, but Vimeo is where real artists post videos. I believe the HD quality is much better on Vimeo like it allows a higher bitrate or something? also I think the licensing is different? hopefully someone else can expand on this but I think if a random person posts a youtube video it becomes free use or something... like other people can use it.. news sites, youtube, etc. ... I think Vimeo's terms are more protective of the author

I've had a few videos I wanted to put on Youtube but just because I did them at 1080p and high framerates or whatever Youtube (free) wouldn't allow the upload for being too large.

Right now when I look on Paypal.com in the Shop section there are 2 vimeo deals:
15% off of Vimeo Pro which allows adding 20GB/week (200 - 15%)
and save 50% on a year of Vimeo Plus which allows adding 5GB/week (60 / 2)
both deals expire 12/31 I think I'm going to go for Vimeo plus for half price for a year

I find vimeo annoying in that you can only have HD on or off when viewing.
At busy times the full HD can't be streamed here.
Youtube can select a range of resolutions to suit download speed - including higher than 1080p - and 60fps now too.
Not convinced Vimeo rendering is any better now either, as youtube has improved greatly in recent years.

The free version of vimeo is very tedious with wait and wait some more while it converts, and only 720p allowed.
Also number of uploads is limited I believe even on basic paid for service?
Also I came across restrictions on embedding with the free vimeo account.
If you don't want to pay there's no contest IMO

I just upgraded to Vimeo plus. Most everyone said that the videos on Vimeo seemed smoother than the same vids I put on Youtube. I didn't mind paying for plus as it came down to a few dollars a month and also gave me the ability to have them in 1080p compared to 720p for the free version

I actually use both(Vimeo free) and Youtube. One I use for aerial videos that are a bit more general hopefully with interests intended for all audiences, and one for videos a bit more personal intended for friends and family. But I agree vimeo basic is a REAL pain with all the wait times.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers