Views of London with P3P and my new ND8 filter

Reaction score
I had my first flight today with the Polar Pro ND8 filter I bought recently. It was very bright so I could only get the shutter speed down to 80 and ISO 100, filmed at 1080 24fps. The results were pretty good after some colour grading using FCP X. What do you think?

Great video....shows the area really well -(I live on Shooters Hill). Where are you based?

I've recently bought a P3...now I need to buy some ND filters and get out and do some filming!

Looks like there has been a drought going on with a lack of rain. Not much grass. I prefer 30fps over 24fps.

Wow who was that guy below you in a parachute. Glad you two didn't tangle. Would have been a mess and made the news ! Nice video !

Wow who was that guy below you in a parachute. Glad you two didn't tangle. Would have been a mess and made the news ! Nice video !

Lol. I'm pretty sure that was a Foil Kite he flew over, not a parachutist. You can see the kite flier on the ground.

Great video....shows the area really well -(I live on Shooters Hill). Where are you based?

I've recently bought a P3...now I need to buy some ND filters and get out and do some filming!

I'm just down the road in Mottingham. First time out in a decent location but I'll be looking for more. Make sure you post some of your results and welcome to the club :)

Lol. I'm pretty sure that was a Foil Kite he flew over, not a parachutist. You can see the kite flier on the ground.

Yeah it was a huge kite much lower than me. I did notice some other kites a lot higher up tho and couldn't see where they were flying from so it kinda put an end to the flight down there today. Oh and the helicopter that came in to land somewhere below where I was flying also freaked me out a little! Sadly no footage of that :-(

Polar pro filters are $50 each in 3 or 6 packs......to,be honest, I just didn't see that much improvement over the standard P3 video to justify the $$. Don't mean to rain on your parade, but I'm not seeing it. My skill level probably wouldn't justify the $$.

Polar pro filters are $50 each in 3 or 6 packs......to,be honest, I just didn't see that much improvement over the standard P3 video to justify the $$. Don't mean to rain on your parade, but I'm not seeing it. My skill level probably wouldn't justify the $$.

You're right, they do seem expensive for what they are. I bought a 3 pack with a polarizer, ND4 and ND8 from a mate who bought a few of them from the US and paid the shipping in 1 go. It's not a massive difference even with the ND8 but what I do like is that the filming was all done on manual exposure so there's no change in the exposure throughout the whole film. I think the polarizer will be good on sunny days where there's little or no cloud so I'm hoping to try that out soon. It's just a shame you can't have the polarizer AND an ND filter on at the same time.

You're right, they do seem expensive for what they are. I bought a 3 pack with a polarizer, ND4 and ND8 from a mate who bought a few of them from the US and paid the shipping in 1 go. It's not a massive difference even with the ND8 but what I do like is that the filming was all done on manual exposure so there's no change in the exposure throughout the whole film. I think the polarizer will be good on sunny days where there's little or no cloud so I'm hoping to try that out soon. It's just a shame you can't have the polarizer AND an ND filter on at the same time.
The one place I wish I had an ND filter to try was on a bright day at the beach flying high. I think the shutter speed was so fast, slight changes in light level caused big steps in shutter speed and I could see shifts in the exposure as a result. I didn't see that happening in your footage, but it wasn't clear to me it would have happened Without the ND filter. I would be interested in trying them, but not at $150 for a set of 3.

The one place I wish I had an ND filter to try was on a bright day at the beach flying high. I think the shutter speed was so fast, slight changes in light level caused big steps in shutter speed and I could see shifts in the exposure as a result. I didn't see that happening in your footage, but it wasn't clear to me it would have happened Without the ND filter. I would be interested in trying them, but not at $150 for a set of 3.

I think that's exactly the sort of place you will get good results with if you try them. They weren't as much as that though, I think it's $70 for a set of 3, I paid £40 in the UK

I think that's exactly the sort of place you will get good results with if you try them. They weren't as much as that though, I think it's $70 for a set of 3, I paid £40 in the UK
You're correct. The $150 price gets you 6 filters......my mistake! Thanks. $23 each seems more reasonable.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik