videos-stills on blog with ads = commercial???

Reaction score
I do not have blog.
But wonder about this?
What if blog is totally educational?
But one allows google ads?
Overtly commercial in eyes of FAA or unclear...?

I do not have blog.
But wonder about this?
What if blog is totally educational?
But one allows google ads?

I'm going to _guess_ that since there is "consideration" involved, in this case money, even though you may not receive any of it, that the FAA would consider it commercial, but why not ask them directly? FAA's UAS Integration Office via [email protected] or by calling 844-FLY-MY-UA.

Was thinking blogger collecting $$ from clicks.
But how to distinguish whether text or images
or both generates ad clicks???

Or even personal websites that include google ads...

IMO, best source of info would be those who can
report FAA warnings, etc., if any, but drone owners in
these situations may not want to attract attention...?

IMHO, this is commercial use and the poster and YT would be the benefactors. But I also don't see the FAA going after anyone over this. They certainly have not done it over the years and millions of videos.

I wonder if lack of FAA action is about these examples being educational-based? Informative-editorial with ads incidental...? Does First Amendment come into play? Taking it further, what if newspaper reporter or newspaper photographer had only $5 license? Can't see many of hundreds of smaller town newspaper staffs devoting time-effort towards commercial drone license, IMO, just to take occasional aerial for editorial use. Any examples of FAA warning them, I wonder...? Again, First Amendment right to educate, illustrate...? FAA not authority on 1st Amendment, IMO...

It isn't a matter of if you can use the photo but rather the conditions of flying to take said photo so 1st amendment doesnt come into play here any more than needing a pilot's license to fly a manned plane to take photos.
I think the commercial Vs recreational in the case of using recordings on a website depends on the nature of the site.
After all, many of us post to forums like this one and facebook which are free to posters but are subsidized by ads for the hosting and maintaining the site/service.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

This sort of query comes up frequently and there are always people that want to claim it's commercial and illegal.

The FAA's core business is aviation safety.They have many more important things to worry about than are there ads on a blog website - that has mo effect on aviation safety and the FAA will have no interest at all in looking into the matter.
Rather than accepting the opinions of anonymous forum people that may or may not have any idea, here's a story to show you what the FAA themselves think:
FAA Admits That They Shouldn't Be Ordering People To Delete Drone Videos

Isn't your linked story more about FAA not bothering the end-user?
It doesn't address picture-taker's First Amendment rights...?
To clarify, I am restricting scope to $5 license flying conditions,
so issue is specifically about flying conditions -- hobbyist flying conditions.
(under 400ft, 5+ miles from airports, no groups of people underneath)
Do drivers in cars taking images that might sell for $$$
have to obtain commercial driving licenses??? NO.
There's no 1st Amendment protection when it comes to
true commercial usage, but FAA seems to be redefining commercial
usage to include
editorial usage = any usage that educates or
illustrates -- which is specifically protected by 1st Amendment, AFAIK!
Examples are usage in newspapers, magazines, books...

UPDATE: it gets more bizarre:
(citizen journalists can sell images on $5 license, but pro journalists cannot take photos on commercial license!!!):

FAA Says Media Can Use Drone Photos From Citizen Journalists, Not Professionals

Last edited:
UPDATE: it gets more bizarre:
(citizen journalists can sell images on $5 license, but pro journalists cannot take photos on commercial license!!!):
You are looking at ancient history there from back at the dawn of the 333 era, well before the 107 age arrived.
Journalists can and do record images with a commercial license now days.

The other query all comes from the FAA trying to view everything the same way it does for real planes because that's hwere they come from and what they are comfortable with.
They aren't in the business of deciding who can sell photos or what website you submit photos to.
They don't want to worry about such trivia.
What they are concerned with is aviation safety.
They came to drone flying, trying to make it fit their real plane way of thinking and to them it made sense that for commercial use, you would need a higher standard of training, just like real pilots in real planes do.
The offence they are concerned with is unsafe or unlicenced commercial flying - not photo selling.
It all gets complicated and falls apart when you can quite legally fly and take all the photos you like but to sell those photos later looks to their old fashioned way of thinking, like commercial use.
But if the flying you did last month was 100% legal, can it now be illegal a month later when you sell some photos?
Of course not - and that's why the FAA is trying to get a more realistic system for commercial use with the 107 licenses.

> The offence they are concerned with is...unlicenced commercial flying - not photo selling.

If FAA doesn't care about photo selling,
the proof of that would be that there are
NO examples of photo sellers being fined,
especially sellers of photos for editorial
usage (to educate, illustrate, inform).

Selling aerial photos of properties for
sale to realtor-broker for ad is NOT
protected by 1st Amendment
Freeedom of Press;
selling aerial photos of properties for
sale to newspapers-magazines for
illustrating article about home prices
is protected by 1st Amendment...

> The offence they are concerned with is...unlicenced commercial flying - not photo selling.

If FAA doesn't care about photo selling, the proof of that would be that there are NO examples of photo sellers being fined
Despite there being no doubt that many people have sold aerial imagery from their drones without commercial certification, reports of FAA action against them isn't getting reported.
This isn't up-to-date but it shows a list of all fines that the FAA has given to drone operators up to Oct 2015.
The FAA Gave Us a List of Every Drone Pilot Who Has Ever Been Fined - Motherboard
Note they are all for safety related offences - not commercial photography without certification.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4