(videos)Help - Random loss of stability about 7-8 minutes in

Reaction score
I've had 30-40 flights total with my P2. Most of the time it works amazingly well. I crashed once (clipped a prop on a branch) and then had to deal with fake blades for awhile...

Now that it was all back in A+ condition, the last two flights go perfectly smooth for 6-8 minutes, and then the quad randomly loses all ability to stay in the air, wobbling violently back and forth. Here are videos of each time, it will be better than trying to explain. It's the last minute or so of each video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cGF2O01Dk8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K03xaQ_GcVg

Re: (videos)Help - Random loss of stability about 7-8 minute

Both crashes were the result of descending too fast without any horizontal movement, the dreaded vortex ring state. Your prop guards are likely making it more susceptible to VRS. Search the forum and read up on it. Tons of threads on it. Lots of crashes.

I know all about VRS and almost never go straight down. That one video I was to mess around with the X1. But on that same video you can see as I start to descend I'm moving forwards and to the right. In the Rolling Plains video I'm not descending at all.

On several occasions I've experienced the VRS and it's never been so bad to completely drop the copter - it saves itself. I think the prop guards have a lot to do with it... which sucks, because of the high price of blades.

I'm not 100% convinced it's VRS, and if it truly is, then why didn't it happen sooner? It was so random. I was doing more intense maneuvers before falling into the bush

frare bear said:
I know all about VRS and almost never go straight down. That one video I was to mess around with the X1. But on that same video you can see as I start to descend I'm moving forwards and to the right. In the Rolling Plains video I'm not descending at all.

On several occasions I've experienced the VRS and it's never been so bad to completely drop the copter - it saves itself. I think the prop guards have a lot to do with it... which sucks, because of the high price of blades.

I'm not 100% convinced it's VRS, and if it truly is, then why didn't it happen sooner? It was so random. I was doing more intense maneuvers before falling into the bush

To be fair it did look like control was lost during a descent whether it was or not. It looked and sounded exactly like loss of control I have experienced recently during a deliberately instigated high speed descent with a quad that also has prop guards fitted. Fortunately on both occasions I recovered.
I'd removed them if it wasn't the fact that I took some advice to paint the front ones a distinct colour and I have found it has made life so much easier to keep track of orientation, I find there are other advantages too.
They do significantly change the profile of the Phantom though so must effect it's aero dynamics especially during descent. When it happens it starts to fall like a piece of paper which it's profile starts to resemble when the prop guards are fitted.

frare bear said:

It's VRS. The side-to-side tank-slapper descent is unmistakably VRS.

ianwood said:
frare bear said:

It's VRS. The side-to-side tank-slapper descent is unmistakably VRS.

Fair enough, I'll trust you on this. You are way more experience than I am haha

I thought the similarities between the two drops would point to something unmistakable, I guess I just really didn't want it be VRS...

WessexWyvern said:
To be fair it did look like control was lost during a descent whether it was or not. It looked and sounded exactly like loss of control I have experienced recently during a deliberately instigated high speed descent with a quad that also has prop guards fitted. Fortunately on both occasions I recovered.
I'd removed them if it wasn't the fact that I took some advice to paint the front ones a distinct colour and I have found it has made life so much easier to keep track of orientation, I find there are other advantages too.
They do significantly change the profile of the Phantom though so must effect it's aero dynamics especially during descent. When it happens it starts to fall like a piece of paper which it's profile starts to resemble when the prop guards are fitted.

I've thought about painting mine... I think I'll try taking them off and see if this happens again. They haven't really helped guard my props that much :|

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic