Video

Re: My First Video- Thoughts?

Thagoodlife said:
Hey guys,

I've had my drone for about a month now and just took a business trip to Seattle. My hotel is right outside the space needle, so figured this was as good a time as any to make my first video. I'm not video editor, but put together a quick cut. Any tips/tricks to make them better in the future?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkc5s0fA0eA

-Alex

Can't watch it... Says you have to be a member of youtube

Some really nice shots! However, at a minute long, it would have been twice as good.

I see the people in the needle were caged in, thus protecting them from a wayward Phantom (that's why the cage is there, right? ;) ), but was this a wise place to fly? Honest question. Don't think I would have been comfortable (assuming there were people/vehicles on the ground).

The shot with people close by is great, I have to say, but was it a wise thing to do at this location? I would not have done/dared it.

I'm not too thrilled how close you got to the people regardless of the cage they were enclosed in.

You've only flown this for a month and are already making poor decisions. Please don't ruin it for the rest of us.

On a side note, I've never seen a take-off/landing like that. Kudos!

Well, regarding the video like someone else said - too long. You have some nice shots in there - less is more. Try not to cut to the same or nearly same angle.

Moving on - I would class this as irresponsible flying unfortunately. Anything over a populated area = bad. It's just common sense not to do this...well, actually i'm contradicting myself here, because it clearly isn't common sense. I know it's new and exciting and you are probably wondering what harm you are doing, but seriously - you are definitely putting others at risk. If your local authorities see this, I'm sure they would not be best pleased.

If your phantom suffered from a failed motor, and it fell from that height, on to people below, it would absolutely kill someone. That's the issue here - you're flying a 1.3kg food blender over a populated area. You have zero redundancy in the event of a failure.

I will say i liked the video....

BUT...even though the "Hoomans" are caged in to me its just a chance for more poor publicity. If all went well people will comment on how close it flew to you and they will talk about the speed of the blades and how close it was. Thus making it sound dangerous. If something bad happened people would talk about how scary it was and there were almost sliced to ribbons. Im actually pretty supprised that security or the cops were not called....

But i agree that the takeoff/landing was very neat

Awesome video! It's so amazing we can do this sort of thing

20 years ago this was science fiction, just like tablets, telephone where you can see the person calling etc. We are living the future :)

Well you made National news *******
That's just the kind of exposure our hobby needs !

Are you the "amazon employee" from Dallas or one of the other idiots that made the news for flying around the space needle?
I can't fly any of my quads anywhere in Seattle without getting yelled at by people or a "concerned citizen" calls the police because there is a terrorist with a drone on the loose.
Please don't fly stupid again. And stay away from WA if you can't.

I can't tell what's worse, the rabid comments in this post or the ridiculous press articles. Everyone needs to calm down. I am not sure I would do this but I see no laws broken here. He exceeded the recommended ceiling of 400ft (needle is 600ft I think) but other than that, I fail to see what he did that was so wrong.

He was not in controlled airspace to the best of my knowledge. He had clear LOS to RC and any potentially approaching air traffic. He had full control over the RC at all time and appeared to be reasonably skilled in maneuvering it. He posed no risk to tourists due to the safety cage, in fact all seemed to be amused by it. And maintaining a reasonably close proximity to the structure is a good safety measure to reduce risk of incursion with another aircraft.

I am pretty sure his biggest mistake was not learning how to tilt his gimbal smoothly.

I agree with nothing REALLY wrong with what was done in the video....but like i said earlier. Its more of a problem of a high chance for bad publicity. If he had been standing with the people that would be a different story but to them (or the 1 person who threw a fit and reported it) he is an anonymous person who is "hell bent on spying on the innocent and planning to attack". Its not the quad copters that actually scare people and the reason why the media is demonizing them. Its the fact that you cant really tell who is flying it/looking at you. That is where the paranoia comes in. Its fear of the unknown and people assuming that there are ill intentions in the use of a normal thing due to ambiguity.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.