Video Work Flow

Reaction score
Not a newbie to vids, exactly, but not a pro either.

So, for a good workflow (let's ignore using a separate hard drive now for scratch disk, etc.)

1. Download from GoPro
2. Do rough clip edit
3. Convert to remove fisheye
4. Take to Final Cut or Premiere/After Effects
5. Do more video editing (slomo, zoom in/out, etc.)
6. Run smooth cam or warp stabilizer
7. Add text and music

Does this make any sense at all?
Suggestions for improvements?

And, everyone, Thank you very much...the internet in general and forums like this in specific have been a boon for sharing knowledge.

happydogs said:
Not a newbie to vids, exactly, but not a pro either.

So, for a good workflow (let's ignore using a separate hard drive now for scratch disk, etc.)

1. Download from GoPro
2. Do rough clip edit
3. Convert to remove fisheye
4. Take to Final Cut or Premiere/After Effects
5. Do more video editing (slomo, zoom in/out, etc.)
6. Run smooth cam or warp stabilizer
7. Add text and music

Does this make any sense at all?
Suggestions for improvements?

And, everyone, Thank you very much...the internet in general and forums like this in specific have been a boon for sharing knowledge.

I would

1. Shoot 1080p 25fps for best quality ( I use med FOV to reduce fisheye)
2. Download fromGopro straight to FCPX
3. Set FCPX to best performance mode
4. Throw everything on the timeline
5. Rough edit out all the rubbish
6. Pick a nice music track and cut to music
7. Whilst doing 6 create slow/fast motion if required
Once edit is finalised
8. Set FCPX to Best Quality mode
9. Colour balance and grade for desired look
10. Stabilise anything that needs it.
11. Add titles
12. Export as Master copy and watch it full screen for final checks
13. Restart my machine
14. Load up FCPX project
15. Export to Vimeo on best quality.

Note edited to change where 'add titles' sits.

Unfortunately I cannot run to FCPX. I'm trying to find a workflow using GoPro Studio and Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12.
Doubt I will achieve the results of you guys- but with a bit of help-maybe I can get an acceptable production.

discv said:
Unfortunately I cannot run to FCPX. I'm trying to find a workflow using GoPro Studio and Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12.
Doubt I will achieve the results of you guys- but with a bit of help-maybe I can get an acceptable production.

Forget the bits regarding FCPX but the rest of the workflow is still relevant. Whatever system you end up using the idea is to keep rendering of any effects or alterations to after you have finalised the edit. If you tinker with them as you edit each clip then each time you alter things you end up re-rendering all over again which slows the process and taxes the system.

You don't need a fancy editor either really. Forget all about the fancy effects as they are not necessary. The ability to cut and fade are the essentials. Speeding up and slowing down are nice also. The ability to colour correct makes a huge difference but that then takes you into the more expensive solutions.

I started with windows movie maker. Imovie for Mac is good.

Thanks Shrimpfarmer, So you reckon that I should download to sony movie directly and bypass GoPro Studio?

discv said:
Thanks Shrimpfarmer, So you reckon that I should download to sony movie directly and bypass GoPro Studio?

Well I have not used that editor so I am unaware of its abilities, other than its well respected. I download direct to FCPX as I can correct the fisheye within that editor. If Sony can do that then it could well be worth cutting out the Gopro studio step.

Its all trial and error.

Work flows are very individual things and i am along the same lines.

1 Use Prodad Mercalli to stabelise.
Some videos i find there is clearer video on the edges, more focused and the fish eye effect can add a posotive interest factor so i do not always use fish eye removel.

2 lots of edditing and cutting out the rubish in Adobe Premiere Pro. Colour ballance, brightness, contrast. Avoid lots of those overdone fades and spinning in and out they look tacky. Running video in reverse and speeding up and slowing down can work well some times.I have used this speed up and reverse in the opening sequence listed below. you can only tell it is reversed by looking at the cars.

3. Add the right kind of sound track to suit the mood of the video. I have stoped using well known artists and now trying to use royalty free music. I use www.http://freemusicarchive.org/.. again adjust the volume and fades.

4 Add some appropriate sound tracks to enhance the video. i use http://www.freesfx.co.uk/

5. Add titles and export ( make sure you check your spelling! on titles), I use Vimeo, there is a compramise between file size and quality i have been keeping the file size down to around 200mb.I use in premier output as H.264 and output to vimeo hd 1080 p 30fps. I then reduce the target bitrate and maximum bitrate to around 2.5 to keep the file size down.

An example of a video i did for my Kayak club can be found at http://neilewins.com/wp2/arial-photography/
It is the last video down "teignmouth Canoe Club".
Also on the club web page at. http://www.teigncanoe.org.uk/

But the smothin could have its own topic any way as there are so many setting in Prodad Mercalli studio. I have tried using Adobe premiere for smothing but even with a fast pc (which you do need for video edditing) it takes hours?

But after all of the editing the old adage is true "**** insh*t out"

Good editing
Dangermouse

this is a big help guys...i have one question: i saw where the add text stage was before the stabilize stage. i "stabilized" a clip that had text and the words got "displaced" on the clip and in another section the words actually "moved" or wavered around on the screen after the stabilization step.

so, i'm thinking, from my rough understanding of the process, that it might be best to add text after stabilization????

I appreciate this post, it helps me cross check my workflow as well in making efficient and faster technique to get the end product out for viewing. I am curious though if you guys prefer the "protunes" option for the gopro or just the regular mode. I just got the gopro black & I am still in the process of finding out w/c is better for editing. Any thoughts?

happydogs said:
this is a big help guys...i have one question: i saw where the add text stage was before the stabilize stage. i "stabilized" a clip that had text and the words got "displaced" on the clip and in another section the words actually "moved" or wavered around on the screen after the stabilization step.

so, i'm thinking, from my rough understanding of the process, that it might be best to add text after stabilization????

Mmm I have seen that happen a few times.

It would make sense to add the text after stabilisation. The main reason why I add effects, colour, stabilisation after I finalise the edit is that it saves a whole lot of rendering time in FCPX. If you add it before you have finished the edit it just constantly wants to re-render the clips even for the tiniest of changes. So adding them after its all finished means you only render the effects once.

As for Protune

I used it and hated it. Their is a post called "spring is in the air' and you can see the trouble I had with using it and a brilliant tutorial at the end of that post about how to get the best out of it.

Thanks to that I now only shoot in protune. Its more work but as I actually enjoy editing thats not a problem :)

All you FCPX users-
Does this program both stabilize and take out fisheye lens effect?
Thanks!!

Depending on the project and what effect I want I will use multiple programs. For my main editing tool I have Sony Vegas but have found that Corel Video Studio (currently using Ultimate X6) is by far the easiest and cheapest to use for the weekend cinematographer. I will also use Corel Paint, GoPro Studio 2.0, Adobe Lightroom, and Motion Studio 3D. Each one suites my needs depending on what I'm trying to create.

Corel Paint for editing stills.
GoPro Studio for Fish eye removal and sometimes clip editing.
Adobe Lightroom for still effects and time lapse.
Motion Studio for 3D effects.
Final video rendered in VSX6

swpenn said:
All you FCPX users-
Does this program both stabilize and take out fisheye lens effect?
Thanks!!

FCPX has a stabilize function built-in that does an OK job. Too much and you get artifacting and jello effect.

I normally do the stabilisation at the start on the raw clips because everytime I try it later on after cutting together, it fails because there are too many moving bits. i.e what once in one frame doesn't exist in the next from after a cut so the software does not know how to stablize it.

I assume i'm doing somethign wrong? I was using After Effects CC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31