Video with stock antennas. None with Immersions

Reaction score
Recently bought a set on Immersion antennas. Unfortunately I can't get a connection with them, only snow. Video feed works fine with stock antennas but after I power down and switch, I get nothing on any of the channels. I'm using a black pearl monitor and an immersion TX.

Recently bought a set on Immersion antennas. Unfortunately I can't get a connection with them, only snow. Video feed works fine with stock antennas but after I power down and switch, I get nothing on any of the channels. I'm using a black pearl monitor and an immersion TX.

It really depends on which Immersion antennas you bought whether they here right or left hand circular polarized and what polarization the TX is using.
In other words you cannot mix them.

It could be that the connectors don't match.
The SMA connectors come in a number of different combinations.As in male to male,male to female,female to male,female to female and such.You can have a male tread and male connection,you can have a female thread and male connector and any combination of thread/connector.
Look into the end of the connectors and see if there is a small pin poking up proud in the center or if there is just a hole for a pin to push into.
If your just getting snow you could have two connectors screwed together that both have a hole and neither has a pin in the center so the signal is not getting through.
There are adapters available to make the connection work regardless of what combination of connectors you have on the VTX and the antenna.

SMA connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I got the SMA adapter so the male/female ends are correct.

How do I determine which direction the circular polarization I need? My TX is also from Immersion. The antennas I have are Right.

It could be that the connectors don't match.
The SMA connectors come in a number of different combinations.As in male to male,male to female,female to male,female to female and such.You can have a male tread and male connection,you can have a female thread and male connector and any combination of thread/connector.
Look into the end of the connectors and see if there is a small pin poking up proud in the center or if there is just a hole for a pin to push into.
If your just getting snow you could have two connectors screwed together that both have a hole and neither has a pin in the center so the signal is not getting through.
There are adapters available to make the connection work regardless of what combination of connectors you have on the VTX and the antenna.

SMA connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That the problem with SMA and RP-SMA RF connector as the signal isn't transferred by the ground alone and it's a nightmare trying to find the right correctors to complete the signal path.

I got the SMA adapter so the male/female ends are correct.

How do I determine which direction the circular polarization I need? My TX is also from Immersion. The antennas I have are Right.

For the layman there is no way to tell which polarization the antenna is other then relying on the manufacturing labeling either LHCP or RHCP of their product.

I don't believe the transmitter or the signal from it is polarized,the polarization comes from the antenna configuration only.
If you bought the antennae as a pair they will be (should be) matched.
So long as the TX and RX antennae are the same polarization all should work.

Double check all connectors and adaptors to be sure all are compatible.

I don't believe the transmitter or the signal from it is polarized,the polarization comes from the antenna configuration only.
If you bought the antennae as a pair they will be (should be) matched.
So long as the TX and RX antennae are the same polarization all should work.

Double check all connectors and adaptors to be sure all are compatible.

That's an interesting thought which makes sense logically, however is that the case in the real world? I'm fairly new to this so I'm not sure if there are other factors at play. I've tried the Immersion antenna on both antenna ports on the black pearl. Neither yields a result. And when I switch back to the stock antennas, the video image is there.

I don't mind trying to switch out the Immersions for Left hand IF that's going to solve the problem. I just wanted to be pretty sure that was it.

I've tried the Immersion antenna on both antenna ports on the black pearl.
If the Black Pearl monitor/receiver is dual diversity,as it sounds to be as you say "both ports",then you must connect an antenna to both of the ports.
So there should be three antennae in the system,one on the Immersion TX and two on the Black Pearl receiver.
Have you been connecting only one antenna at a time on the receiver? If so that could be the problem,although I'm not sure why you would get a signal from only one stock antenna.

Last edited:
If the Black Pearl monitor/receiver is dual diversity,as it sounds to be as you say "both ports",then you must connect an antenna to both of the ports.
So there should be three antennae in the system,one on the Immersion TX and two on the Black Pearl receiver.
Have you been connecting only one antenna at a time on the receiver? If so that could be the problem,although I'm not sure why you would get a signal from only one stock antenna.

Yes, it's a black pearl dual diversity. And I have been using three antennas.

Working: 2 stock antennas on the monitor. 1 stock antenna on the TX.
Not working: 1 immersion antenna and 1 stock antenna on the monitor. 1 immersion antenna on the TX.

All of the connections are the correct male to female. I had to add one adapter in order to connect the immersion antenna to the black pearl.

I'm guessing the stock antennae are stick antennae or dipole.Maybe that is an incompatible mix to have one dipole and one cloverleaf on the receiver.
Most people use one cloverleaf antenna and one patch antenna or a helical on dual diversity receivers for greater range.That's the only thing I can think to try from here.Buy a patch or helical antenna and give that a try.

Here's a good video explaining the different type of antennae and how they work together.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The black pearl has two channels RX 1 and RX 2 both both of which have be on the same channel. With both antennas on the same channel the will alternate between the two antennas which ever is the strongest at the time. Also make sure both camera and monitor are on NTSC or PAL Putting a cloverleaf antenna on the immersion TX should be pointed straight down as most of the signal is from the sides not off the bottom.
IMG_5632.jpg
IMG_2061.jpg

The black pearl has two channels RX 1 and RX 2 both both of which have be on the same channel. With both antennas on the same channel the will alternate between the two antennas which ever is the strongest at the time. Also make sure both camera and monitor are on NTSC or PAL Putting a cloverleaf antenna on the immersion TX should be pointed straight down as most of the signal is from the sides not off the bottom.

Fairly certain I've got all that set right. As I mentioned, the setup works fine with the stock antennas. I'll turn everything off, switch the antennas, power back up, and then nothing but snow on the monitor. I've tried flipping through the channels as well.

Fairly certain I've got all that set right. As I mentioned, the setup works fine with the stock antennas. I'll turn everything off, switch the antennas, power back up, and then nothing but snow on the monitor. I've tried flipping through the channels as well.

The center antenna connections on the black pearl are the cloverleaf antennas female? Did receipt with the antennas and is there any mention as to whether the are both RHCP or FHCP? To check if both both RX 1 & 2 are on the same channel turn on everything then push the either up or down button on the right side of the and you'll at the very top of the screen. You can find diversity modes on page five of the instruction manual.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers