Video Transmission Quality and Skins

Reaction score
Has anybody on here applied skins to the P4P and experienced degraded video transmission quality when flying?

Prior to installing the skin on the P4P, I had decent video transmission quality with the occasional choppy feed. After installing the skin, the transmission is really bad. How does a layer of CF vinyl affect the signal? I tried both 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz and there is no difference.

I do not think the vinyl would do anything.... but the ink is another possibility.

I deal with RFID tags and remote readers... we had an instance where the ink printing on the RFID tags apparently has some metallic base in it and degraded the signal... just a thought...

Reactions: Daskid
I do not think the vinyl would do anything.... but the ink is another possibility.

I deal with RFID tags and remote readers... we had an instance where the ink printing on the RFID tags apparently has some metallic base in it and degraded the signal... just a thought...
That makes sense. The CF vinyl might have metallic properties that can interfere with the transmission. However, the GPS strength is unchanged. I might just remove the skin from the landing gear and see what happens. Thank you!

And then I would be very interested in your results. Please report your findings.

It is confirmed. The CF wrap is the culprit. I removed the skin from the two front landing gear posts and it is back to normal. Video transmission is smooth and great. But now the bird looks weird. Lol!

Reactions: tak5501
It is confirmed. The CF wrap is the culprit. I removed the skin from the two front landing gear posts and it is back to normal. Video transmission is smooth and great. But now the bird looks weird. Lol!

Thanks for the report back... now just need to figure out if it's what's in the vinyl or the ink??!

Reactions: tak5501
Thanks for the report back... now just need to figure out if it's what's in the vinyl or the ink??!
You're welcome. I don't know what's the skin made out of exactly. Just a CF vinyl I got from Amazon.

Attachments

• P4PCF.jpg
    P4PCF.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 389
You're welcome. I don't know what's the skin made out of exactly. Just a CF vinyl I got from Amazon.
Hi guys....when I ordered my P4P back in January, I had it shipped with the CF Wrap, as I thought I may be able to see it better when it was in the air. The Winter here in MN is about over so I took it out to shoot some 4K/60 fps video......it was horrible at times, flashing green and sometimes blurry I did get some good footage, but not enough to be satisfied. I did some additional testing with all video formats and found that the 60fps (for everything but 1080 p) was bad video....I noticed the same thing for 1080P with 120 fps. I saw this post about the CF wrap, and may try the same thing, in removing the CF Wrap from the Landing gear....Thanks for posting!!

Hi guys....when I ordered my P4P back in January, I had it shipped with the CF Wrap, as I thought I may be able to see it better when it was in the air. The Winter here in MN is about over so I took it out to shoot some 4K/60 fps video......it was horrible at times, flashing green and sometimes blurry I did get some good footage, but not enough to be satisfied. I did some additional testing with all video formats and found that the 60fps (for everything but 1080 p) was bad video....I noticed the same thing for 1080P with 120 fps. I saw this post about the CF wrap, and may try the same thing, in removing the CF Wrap from the Landing gear....Thanks for posting!!
Let us know what your results are. Thanks!

Let us know what your results are. Thanks!
I removed the bottom and camera side CF wrap, but his was no help for me. The best 4K fps is 30...48 & 60 are bad. I am wondering if my camera settings are wrong for shooting 4K?....ISO is set to'Auto' '400', aperature is '2.8' and shutter is '60'.

I removed the bottom and camera side CF wrap, but his was no help for me. The best 4K fps is 30...48 & 60 are bad. I am wondering if my camera settings are wrong for shooting 4K?....ISO is set to'Auto' '400', aperature is '2.8' and shutter is '60'.
I have tried 4K 60 fps on mine and it was fine on any setting (I shoot manual). I'll try your settings tomorrow and let you know.

Did you remove the cf wrap from the legs too?

I'd like to know if others with cf wrap on the legs are having live feed issues before I take mine off

I have tried 4K 60 fps on mine and it was fine on any setting (I shoot manual). I'll try your settings tomorrow and let you know.
Thanks so much.....one thing I forgot to mention is that I use an iPad 4 mini (Wifi + Cellular) as my monitor on the controller, and any footage I shoot (any size/framerate) plays wonderfully on playback, it's just when I load it onto my PC and play it thru VLC. My PC is about 4 years old, I am wondering if is not up to playing 4K video. I have win7-64 bit with 16 GB of ram. Thank you again for your assistance.

Last edited:
Did you remove the cf wrap from the legs too?

I'd like to know if others with cf wrap on the legs are having live feed issues before I take mine off
I removed the wrap from the front (camera facing) landing gear posts, and both bottom landing gears is all.
It was no help to my playback quality (on my PC using VLC).......my older PC may be the culprit here?? NOTE: playback on my iPad 4 mini which I use on the controller is fine.

I removed the wrap from the front (camera facing) landing gear posts, and both bottom landing gears is all.
It was no help to my playback quality (on my PC using VLC).......my older PC may be the culprit here?? NOTE: playback on my iPad 4 mini which I use on the controller is fine.

Ok my issue is with the live feed from iPad, there is so many things that it could be that I don't want to remove the cf skin from the legs until I'm sure it's the problem, your problem could be 1 computer to old or 2 the memory card is struggling they would be my first two things I would look into for your issue

Ok my issue is with the live feed from iPad, there is so many things that it could be that I don't want to remove the cf skin from the legs until I'm sure it's the problem, your problem could be 1 computer to old or 2 the memory card is struggling they would be my first two things I would look into for your issue
Ok, I agree, you should not remove the SF skin if it is not certain it would solve the problem. Which type of memory card do you use...I am using the 64 Gb 'Transcend Ultimate 633x' which came with the kit I bought.

Ok, I agree, you should not remove the SF skin if it is not certain it would solve the problem. Which type of memory card do you use...I am using the 64 Gb 'Transcend Ultimate 633x' which came with the kit I bought.

I'm using a Samsung 128g not sure what it's called exactly but it's for 4K vids and it code a lot

Thanks so much.....one thing I forgot to mention is that I use an iPad 4 mini (Wifi + Cellular) as my monitor on the controller, and any footage I shoot (any size/framerate) plays wonderfully on playback, it's just when I load it onto my PC and play it thru VLC. My PC is about 4 years old, I am wondering if is not up to playing 4K video. I have win7-64 bit with 16 GB of ram. Thank you again for your assistance.
I use an iPad mini 4 with cellular as well. I think the issue you are having is from your PC. What's your video card?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1