Video transfer problems and frustrations

Reaction score
Hello all, I am still wading through the seemingly complicated process of dealing with video on the p3p. Flying is extremely fun and easy but now when I try to transfer the video from the sd card in the camera it transfers to my tablet as a .MOV file and not an mp4. The .MOV file on playback is very choppy compared to the smooth replay of the mp4 format. Does anyone out there have some insight into this. Any help or info or links to the answer is much appreciated. (the .MOV format sucks)

Hello all, I am still wading through the seemingly complicated process of dealing with video on the p3p. Flying is extremely fun and easy but now when I try to transfer the video from the sd card in the camera it transfers to my tablet as a .MOV file and not an mp4. The .MOV file on playback is very choppy compared to the smooth replay of the mp4 format. Does anyone out there have some insight into this. Any help or info or links to the answer is much appreciated. (the .MOV format sucks)

I don't have my P3 out and on, but when you are in the GO app you can go into the camera setting and chose whether you want to record in mov or MP4. Sorry I can't give you a screen shot right now but the option is there. The button you want to click on to get into the camera settings should be just below the record button on your device.

The default format is MOV, you can switch it to MP4 on the Camera menu (Right side of the GO app), Go to the video icon, click on Video format and switch to MP4. That said, if you default to 4K video you may have problems with playback depending on your hardware.

There are a number of threads about that. RTFM also helps.

BTW, most people use the MOV format because it doesn't suck. It's more robust that MP4 for editing.

Thanks I will try that. However, the video that is sent to my tablet during flight is very smooth upon instant playback, it's just when I move any files they run as .MOV files. I'm just not getting why this would be?

I'm using the Galaxy Tab 4 and it plays the videos very well when played after the flight (video sent to tablet during flight). The video aspect is new to me though I've been in RC for a long time. I've heard on this forum that it is a good device for this, which is why I bought it for dedicated P3P flying.

The instant video you are reviewing is compressed. It is not the actual recorded file found on your sd card. More than likely your device cannot handle playback of the video particularly if you are recording in 4K.

You can change settings to lower recording resolution in the app so your computer or tablet can handle it. There are few stock computers that can handle editing 4K video or even playing 4K video in native resolution without being choppy.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Convert your file to another quality setting on output/export. Mine is choppy watching before export but converting it to 1080p on export makes it smooth as expected.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Why is there recording on the tablet ? It confuses me.
So when I connect the ad card and copy the files it not a simple process. Too messy.

Thanks for the responses. What level of computing power is needed for smooth 4K playback? Having to downgrade the recording resolution would defeat the purpose of having the capability. Also when you are viewing cool videos on youtube what resolution are you seeing? If not 4K then what is the purpose of having such a nice camera on the craft. Again I am very new to the video aspect here so my questions may seem ignorant because I admit they are.

Reactions: Reed L
If you are new to file formats, I suggest start with 720p. Streaming to tablet is always 720p. Once you have a good handle on 720p files, jump to 1080p and move on. You will see different qualities and different problems which you will enjoy to resolve and help others to overcome them. Nothing like getting first hand experience:) this forum builds expertise in all.

Thanks for the responses. What level of computing power is needed for smooth 4K playback? Having to downgrade the recording resolution would defeat the purpose of having the capability. Also when you are viewing cool videos on youtube what resolution are you seeing? If not 4K then what is the purpose of having such a nice camera on the craft. Again I am very new to the video aspect here so my questions may seem ignorant because I admit they are.
4K is future proof and allows flexibility. Your computer needs some serious horsepower to process it and then you still need a 4K device capable of watching it on.

4K is the next 'new thing'. There are a few, but not many, ways to see native 4K video. Most people use 4K to give you some 'headroom' when editing. You can zoom and pan to some degree without the video getting all blocky. You are also 'future proofing' your files so that when / if 4K video becomes mainstream, you will have the right data.

You don't sound like you are going to edit much - so don't shoot in 4K. 720 p is a good starting point.

Reactions: SergeantJoKer
Agreed - I love 4K for serious editing. It gives a lot of options. But I am editing on a core i7 iMac with 24gbs of ram. I can't even play the video back on a core i5 pc much less edit the video. You can upload in 4K to YouTube. But it will down convert to 1080 in most cases since most displays aren't higher than 1080 resolution. There are only a few consumer options as far as computer displays that will display in 4K and above resolution.

Reactions: Reed L
I think I will take your advice. I've only had the P3P for less than 2 weeks. It has been a learning experience for me the whole way, which I don't mind at all. I have learned a lot through this forum. I'm just trying to take it one step at a time. I'm sure in the future I will get more into the editing side of things. Thanks again for your input everyone.

No problem. More than likely your videos in 1080 will be stunning and work wonderfully on most current/even a bit older computers and tablets.

Also during my last flight I received the message "video signal lost" and when I played it back the video cut out at that point of the flight which is understandable. I thought that the entirety of the flight would be saved in the sd card on the camera, but it wasn't. Do you have to re-press the record button on the controller to resume recording?

The video on the sd card will be complete. Not the compressed video if you lose video signal. When editing/publishing video you want to connect via usb or insert sd card in your computer and download the video files. The stuff on your tablet is compressed recording of your feed. Losing video signal won't affect the video on your onboard sd card if you are recording.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20