Video Settings?

Reaction score
I know very little about video settings and which setting is best for different effects or situations. Can someone give me a new guy primer on what I should use? This forum is awesome! Thanks in advance for any responses!

Not sure why you're not getting any input, but I'm happy to share. To start out, I suggest using the 720P30 setting. It will allow you to capture very nice video that can be easily uploaded to any of the video sharing sites without using too much memory.

The 720 means 720 vertical lines in each frame, the P is Progressive and means each frame is a complete image, and the 30 means 30 frames per second, which is normal video playback speed.

The 720P60 setting will allow you to record twice as much data by recording 60 frames per second, but will then allow you to play it back at normal 30 frames per second and give slow motion effect. Something to play with, but not recommended for everyday filming.

The 1080 settings gives you slightly better video quality, but at much higher memory requirements. If you're picky, you can see a difference, but it's slight and requires more memory and more processing time when editing. At some point you may want to play around with it.

The 1080I setting should probably be avoided unless you're planning to display your video on an older TV rather than a computer monitor. The I stands for interlaced vs the P which stands for Progressive. Interlaced basically records every other vertical line of the image (like all the odd numbered lines 1,3,5,7,......) on one video frame, then records the the missed lines on the next frame. At 30 frames per second, you get half an image 30 times a second and a complete/full image 15 times per second. The TV combines these two half images by Interlacing them to make a complete picture. But that's not how computer monitors or flat screen TVs work. They get full images every time and the frames come in progression, one full image after the next. So you want Progressive format.

I'm not sure if that was the question you asked. If not ask it again.

That's awesome information...very informative and helpful. What a bunch of nice guys there are here!! Thank you very much.

How will you be editing your video? Or an even better question...what are your goals for your video?

From my research I am inclined to use Adobe Elements but not sure yet and certainly open for ideas. Just need to be able to respectable to the average consumer looking property video tours of the home's exterior and surrounding areas combined with some nice still shots. Just need to be visually appealing, not perfect and something I can generate in short period of time so I can get it on the web quickly. Thanks!

There's a setting for widescreen and "narrower screen" too. The narrower setting (I don't think it's a difference between 16:9 and 4:3) gives a slightly narrower field of view and produces less fisheye on video. I don't believe it helps with still photo fisheye though... :cry:

Jamie Coulter said:
From my research I am inclined to use Adobe Elements but not sure yet and certainly open for ideas. Just need to be able to respectable to the average consumer looking property video tours of the home's exterior and surrounding areas combined with some nice still shots. Just need to be visually appealing, not perfect and something I can generate in short period of time so I can get it on the web quickly. Thanks!

It sounds like this is a good application for mobile video editing. If you have an iPad, you can quickly create the video in the field using the Apple Camera Connect Kit and the Pinnacle Studio for iPad video editing app.

This setup would allow you to film using your P2V+, download directly from the micro SD card to your iPad using the Camera Connect Kit, quickly edit the video while still at the property location, and if your iPad has a data plan, upload the finished product within minutes. No need to go back to your office and hope you didn't miss any shots. Everything gets done at one time and you move on to the next property.

Great idea. I don't need to get it online that fast, just a day or two later. I would like to add nice music, cool transitions, some text descriptions, and some branding for my company, etc too. That sort of thing. Appreciate the ideas!

Duke131 said:
There's a setting for widescreen and "narrower screen" too. The narrower setting (I don't think it's a difference between 16:9 and 4:3) gives a slightly narrower field of view and produces less fisheye on video. I don't believe it helps with still photo fisheye though... :cry:
I can´t seem to find this setting, where is it?

I would also add that you should shoot more than you think you will need. For some reason, that long establishing shot never lasts as long as you think it did when you go to edit. You also mentioned "cool transitions" and I would really try not to overdo it with those. Put more planning into framing the shots, lighting (sun @ your back as much as possible), color correction and coming up with a good pace and order of the shots, and you'll be surprised how nice something with cuts only will end up looking. Keep it simple is a good place to start.

XL-Studios said:
Duke131 said:
I can´t seem to find this setting, where is it?

In the video settings on your mobile device. I think the wide and narrow is only available with 1080, not the 720 setting. When the flight parameters show on your mobile device, select the gear icon.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj