Video settings with ND8 Polar Pro

Reaction score
Hey Folks!

Anyone have any recommendation on what the optimal settings are on a bright sunny day with ND8 Filter? What ISO/Shutter are you guys using to get the best results?

Thanks for the help

Hey Folks!

Anyone have any recommendation on what the optimal settings are on a bright sunny day with ND8 Filter? What ISO/Shutter are you guys using to get the best results?

Thanks for the help

As I shoot in PAL format I try to keep the shutter speed to 50. The ISO usually around 100. If you are shooting in NTSC then a shutter speed of 60 would be your optimum. Sometimes though on really bright days ND8 still isn't enough.

Reactions: Phantom-Four
As I shoot in PAL format I try to keep the shutter speed to 50. The ISO usually around 100. If you are shooting in NTSC then a shutter speed of 60 would be your optimum. Sometimes though on really bright days ND8 still isn't enough.
Agreed, wish I had bought the ND16 or ND32

Bumping and old thread I know but I too wish I had bought a ND16 as the ND8 all my footage is over exposed and it's not even that sunny today

Bumping and old thread I know but I too wish I had bought a ND16 as the ND8 all my footage is over exposed and it's not even that sunny today
Here is how I adjust my settings when using ND filters. Hopefully it helps some. Cheers!
ND Filter Options?

Reactions: JoBe
Hey. Yes I adjust my settings like that too. But my footage is all too bright and can only be fixed in post. Is this normal?

ND 8 may not be sufficient for bright sun shine day, I try ND 16 or ND 32 which ever gives me the best setting of ISO 100, Shutter 1/60, MM = 0.

ND 8 may not be sufficient for bright sun shine day, I try ND 16 or ND 32 which ever gives me the best setting of ISO 100, Shutter 1/60, MM = 0.
Hmm, yes this is what I suspect. Kinda annoyed with the ND8 especially as we haven't exactly had bright sun here. Now I'm unsure as to whether I should go 16 or 32!

This is an amatures question (because I'm considering filters too). Why not set the iso and shutter speed for the filter you're using so that your EV equals 0? You may not get the cinematic effect you want but you'd not be over/under exposed, right?

I thought it would be easier to illustrate my problem with a video. The video below is two shots both filmed through a DJI ND8 filter with a shutter speed of 1/50 and ISO 100. The beginning shows the unedited clip and the the after once it's been run through autocorrect with iMovie.

Does the before shot match the type of shot I should be expecting to see? It wasn't a particularly bright day. Many thanks in advance

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have adjusted all my settings to the recommended for manual - I just can't seem to get a decent picture when editing in post and can find no decent info for how to edit - admittedly I am only using iMovie at the moment but even with that I struggle.

I have adjusted all my settings to the recommended for manual - I just can't seem to get a decent picture when editing in post and can find no decent info for how to edit - admittedly I am only using iMovie at the moment but even with that I struggle.
I haven't used iMovie unfortunately so I can't say anything about that. Not sure how much control it gives you over sharpness, contrast and saturation. Perhaps somebody else can chime in on that.

Have you tried the "And what if you don’t want to do the post-processing?" part? That should give you a decent results straight out of camera.

I feel your edited video looks good in the second part.. even the first part ground features look decent except the sky (which is totally white)..

If you have reduced your contrast & saturation in custom settings along with a D-LOG profile as recommended, then your before shot is what you would expect to see normally.. However your before shot does look overexposed..

If you are really constrained by having only ND8 filter, then just switch to auto mode. While auto may bump up your shutter speed to 1/100 instead of preferred/targeted 1/50, you will get a more optimal exposed shot... It is worth trying before you let yourself be too frustrated..

Last edited:
Forgot to ask, have you got some footage from after you applied the settings?

The footage above was shot using the settings - I set these a while ago based on similar recommendation. Would be interested to see some other before and after shots if you have (or anyone) have any.

Thanks for the help so far.

I feel your edited video looks good in the second part.. even the first part ground features look decent except the sky (which is totally white)..

If you have reduced your contrast & saturation in custom settings along with a D-LOG profile as recommended, then your before shot is what you would expect to see normally.. However your before shot does look overexposed..

If you are really constrained by having only ND8 filter, then just switch to auto mode. While auto may bump up your shutter speed to 1/100 instead of preferred/targeted 1/50, you will get a more optimal exposed shot... It is worth trying before you let yourself be too frustrated..

Yes, Im very tempted to do this - as I am getting frustrated - honestly it's more my colour editing probably which is also at fault I suspect.

The footage above was shot using the settings - I set these a while ago based on similar recommendation. Would be interested to see some other before and after shots if you have (or anyone) have any.

Thanks for the help so far.
Ok, I misunderstood that part. In that case your base footage looks, as mentioned by @band318 , a bit overexposed which means you'll need to get an extra filter (ND16) or up your shutter speed.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31